Gathering around the grill on a sun-soaked summer day is a pastime many of us enjoy. But when it’s time to fire up the grill, why not jazz up your typical summer cookout with a special spin? Grill Fresh with Watermelon Steaks! The sweet and juicy red fruit, cut into steaks and seasoned with the perfect blend of herbs, is an unexpected and delicious addition to a BBQ staple!
1. Natural Grilling with Watermelon Steaks
Grilling with watermelon? Yes, it is possible! The sweetness, freshness and juiciness of watermelon are the perfect complement to a barbeque grill. This summer, try something different and make some watermelon steaks for your next cookout!
You’ll be surprised at how good watermelon is on the grill. The marinade and heat from the BBQ will give the melon a smoky-sweet flavor and the texture will be firmer and more like a steak. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2″ thick watermelon slices
- Your favorite marinade
- Salt and pepper to taste
Simply brush some marinade onto the slices and season them generously with salt and pepper. Place the watermelon slices on a preheated grill and cook for 5-10 minutes on each side, depending on the heat. For a twist, top each steak with fresh herbs such as basil or cilantro after cooking.
Watermelon steaks are great served on their own, or with a side of salsa or grilled vegetables. Enjoy this unexpected summer treat at your next cookout!
2. Spice Up Your BBQ with Watermelon Steaks
Watermelon steaks add an extra layer of flavor and texture to your BBQ. You’ll be surprised at how juicy, succulent, and delicious these watermelon slices are. Here’s how you can get started.
- Prep the Watermelon – Begin by slicing the watermelon into 1-inch thick ‘steaks’. Use a serrated knife to ensure that it cuts easily.
- Prep the Grill – Turn on the grill and let it heat up for a few minutes. Clean the grates with a wire brush beforehand.
- Grill the Steaks – Place the watermelon steaks onto the grill with slightly raised edges. Grill them for about 1-2 minutes on each side, or until they have visible char marks.
Once they are ready, serve the watermelon steaks on a bed of mixed greens or some yummy kale chips. Top them off with your favorite toppings such as roasted nuts, pomegranate seeds, and fresh herbs. Your BBQ will never be the same!
3. A Taste of Summer: Watermelon Steaks on the Grill
Summertime grilling is one of America’s favorite pastimes, and there’s no better way to add a hint of sweet summer delight to a meal than with grilled watermelon steak. Rich in antioxidants, potassium, and vitamins, this deceptively indulgent dish is surprisingly nutritious along with being delicious.
To get started, preheat your grill to medium heat and lightly oil the grates. Cut thick slices of watermelon and season each side of the steak with a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Place the steaks onto the grill grates and cook until there is distinct grill marking, approximately three minutes per side.
- Make sure to rotate each steak to create even and beautiful grill marks.
- Serve with a sprinkle of freshly chopped mint or basil for an extra burst of flavor.
4. Impress Your Guests with Watermelon Steaks
Transform Your Kitchen Into a Master Chef’s
Bring stunning creativity to your next at-home dining event with watermelon steak. This showstopper is a perfect way to impress your guests with your culinary skills. It’s not as difficult as it looks and with the right ingredients, it can become the highlight of your gathering.
First, you’ll need to choose ripe watermelons. Opt for melons that have a deep color and feel heavy for their size. This will ensure you get the best sweet and juicy slices every time. You’ll also need either balsamic or a tangy vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper for seasoning.
- Cut the watermelon into about 2” thick slices.
- Remove the white membrane and rind to the sides of the slices.
- Rub in the oil and season with salt, pepper, and vinegar.
- Grill on medium-high heat for 4 minutes per side.
- Garnish with fresh herbs, salt and/or pepper.
It’s as simple as that! Plate the watermelon steaks however you please and voila, you have a meal that’s sure to make your guests in awe. Enjoy this tasty treat with your favorite summer barbeque recipes for a truly amazing experience.
5. Introducing a Fun Grilling Innovation: Watermelon Steaks
Grilling season is in full swing, and we’ve discovered a super fun addition to the grilling game: watermelon steaks! Your whole family will love experimenting with this delicious and surprisingly healthy alternative to regular steak.
As well as being loaded with vitamin A, B6, and C, watermelon also contains lots of electrolytes and antioxidants. Plus, it’s a sweet treat that’s rich in lycopene. Once sliced into steak-style pieces, it can be easily grilled either directly on the grill rack or in a veggie basket. Here’s how to get started:
- Slice the watermelon into 1-inch thick pieces and trim off any rinds.
- Season with rubs, salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the pieces of watermelon onto a pre-heated grill over medium-high heat.
- Grill for 4 minutes, flip them, and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes.
Grilled watermelon steaks are great when served with a side of your favorite summer vegetables, or with a simple slice of feta cheese and a hint of spicy chili flakes. Add some freshly-squeezed lemon juice, and enjoy!
6. Healthy Eating with Watermelon Steaks
Watermelon Steaks are a delicious way to satisfy your sweet cravings while getting access to all the nutrients available in red melons. As a low calorie fruit, watermelons come packed with essential vitamins and minerals, making them an optimal food choice for healthy eating!
To make your own Watermelon Steaks, simply cut thick slices of watermelon, making sure each steak is at least 1-inch thick. Use a sharp knife to make sure the slices are even and uniform. After, you will be ready to season them to your liking. Try tossing the sliced melon in olive oil and sprinkle it with Creole seasoning, herbs, and minced garlic for an extra but of flavor. Once ready, all you have to do is carefully place each steak on a baking pan or Weber grill, and cook it through for about 25 minutes or until softened, flipping the sides halfway all the way through. Serve the steaks with roasted potatoes and grilled veggies for your next summer meal!
7. Making Gourmet Level Meals with Watermelon Steaks
Are you tired of the same beef, chicken, and pork steaks night after night? Jazz up your next dinner with watermelon steaks! This unique twist on a classic dish is sure to turn heads, and it’s not as difficult as you might think. Here’s how to make watermelon steaks that are truly gourmet level!
Begin by finding a large, ripe, red watermelon. If it feels firm to the touch, it needs more time to ripen. Once it’s ready, wash and then cut off the end pieces and discard them. Now you can begin to cut each watermelon into slices. A good thickness for steaks is about an inch and a half. Cut out the rind from each steak and set aside.
- Make a marinade: Combine two tablespoons of olive oil, two tablespoons of lemon juice, two tablespoons of sugar, a teaspoon of sea salt, and some minced fresh herbs of your choice in a large bowl. Stir everything together to combine.
- Coat watermelon steaks: Dip each steak into the marinade, making sure that both sides are nicely coated. Use your hands to gently press the marinade into the steak.
- Grill: Heat up your outdoor or indoor grill and cook steaks on the hot grill for about four minutes per side. The watermelon will caramelize on the outside, and the inside should remain juicy and delicious.
- Serve: Serve your watermelon steaks with a sprig of fresh herbs, if desired, and top with the rind pieces you set aside earlier. Enjoy!
8. Simple Tips to Grill Watermelon Steaks
Instead of usual beef or chicken, why not make your next barbecue night extra special with watermelon steaks? Watermelon is unique and surprisingly juicy, making it perfect for grilling. Here are 8 simple and easy tips to make delicious watermelon steaks!
- 1. Prep: Select and prepare the watermelon. Choose a ripe and firm watermelon – the best watermelons are heavy for their size, with a yellow patch beneath their stem. Cut the watermelon into steak slice about 1-inch thick for best results.
- 2. Marinate: Mix up a marinade. Prepare a marinade of your choice. Grill-friendly marinades include honey lemon, garlic-herb, or teriyaki. Make sure to coat the pieces with your chosen marinade before grilling.
Once you have your watermelon marinated and ready, the grilling part is the easiest. Grab your trusty barbecue, set it over a moderate-high heat and get grilling! 3. Grill: Place your steaks over the heat. Grill each side of your watermelon steak for around 7 – 8 minutes, or until dark grill marks form. You’ll start to see the juices of your watermelon steak bubbling. 4. Rest: Let it rest. Once the steaks are done, transfer to a plate and let them rest for 10 minutes before serving.
9. What You Need to Know About Grilling Watermelon Steaks
Grilled Watermelon Steaks Are Delicious
Nobody wants a sad, plain piece of watermelon while they’re grilling out. Step up your grilling game by trying out grilled watermelon steaks instead! Grilled watermelon steaks are easy to prepare and offer a juicy, sweet taste to any summer gathering. Here’s what you need to know to grill your own watermelon steaks:
- Start with a fresh, cold watermelon for the best-tasting steak.
- Slice your watermelon into thick wedges that are one inch to one-and-a-half inches wide.
- Score the wedges by lightly running a knife along the length of the melon, making sure to not slice all the way through.
- Oil both sides of the steaks and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the steaks onto the hot grill, ensuring it is evenly heated.
- Grill for 5 minutes per side or until the watermelon is lightly charred with dark grill marks.
How to Serve Grilled Watermelon Steaks
Grilled watermelon steaks are a great option for both meat-eating and vegan guests. For a vegan-friendly meal, serve with a nice side salad and rice, and top the steaks with sesame seeds and a little drizzle of balsamic glaze. For meat-eating guests, serve with grilled corn on the cob, sweet potatoes, and an herby chimichurri sauce. No matter who is at the table, grilled watermelon steaks are sure to be a hit. Enjoy!
10. Delicious Watermelon Steak Recipes to Try at Home
Watermelon steak is an uncommon yet unconventional dish that is becoming increasingly popular. It’s a creative way to use ripe watermelons for a delicious meal – one that is sure to make any dinner an unforgettable experience. Here are 10 delicious watermelon steak recipes that you can try out at home:
- Roasted Watermelon Steak & Garlic Aioli – The perfect combination of sweet & savory! Deliciously roasted watermelon steak is served with a creamy garlic aioli.
- White Soy-Marinated Watermelon Steak – For a twist on the classic watermelon steak, try this refreshing marinade of white soy and mirin for an umami-rich flavor.
- BBQ Spicy Watermelon Steak – Take regular watermelon steak to the next level with a flavorful BBQ marinade and a homemade spicy sauce.
- Californian Watermelon & Quinoa Salad – Try this flavorful watermelon steak alongside a hearty quinoa salad, tossed with tomatoes and peppers.
- Garlic Watermelon & Shrimp Skewers – This unique combination of juicy watermelon steak and succulent shrimp makes for a delightful summer meal.
- Mushroom-Stuffed Watermelon Steak – Juicy watermelon steak is filled with a flavorful mushroom stuffing for a really special dish.
- Coconut Crusted Watermelon Steak – For a crispy, flavorful steak, try coconut-crusted watermelon steak with a zesty lime sauce for a truly tropical experience.
- Miso Glazed Watermelon Steak – A savory glaze adds a delightful depth of flavor to watermelon steak, making it a great meal for the family.
- Grilled Watermelon Steak & Chimichurri – Try out this grilled steak recipe, finished with an aromatic, herb-filled chimichurri sauce.
- Spicy Watermelon Steak Tacos – Spice up your dinner with these juicy tacos, filled with watermelon steak and topped with a flavorful salsa verde.
No matter what recipe you choose, you can rest assured that you’ll have a unique, delicious dinner experience with watermelon steak! Not only is it nutritious, but it looks and tastes great too. So why not give some of these recipes a try and create your own creative and delicious watermelon steak meal? It’s no surprise that grilling with watermelon steaks is becoming a favorite way to jazz up a summer cookout. Grilling with watermelon steak is an easy and fun experience that will add a delicious twist to your outdoor cooking! With its fresh, juicy flavor and its bright colors, you’ll be sure to impress your guests with a delicious, vibrant meal. So grab your grill and get ready to savor the sweet and savory experience of grilling with watermelon steak. Enjoy!
Hi, my name is Luke Mitchell and I am a travel blogger based in Brisbane, Australia. I am the owner and creator of Arfra.org, the best blog about everything related to traveling in Australia. I have always had a passion for exploring new places and cultures and I decided to turn that passion into a career. I started Arfra.org to share my experiences and help others plan their own adventures in Australia.
I have traveled extensively throughout Australia and have a wealth of knowledge and tips to share. From the rugged outback to the beautiful beaches, I have been there and done that. I am also always on the lookout for the latest and greatest in the travel industry, so my readers can always expect to find the latest information on everything from hotels and resorts to tours and activities.
In my blog, I cover a wide range of topics including budget travel, luxury travel, family travel, and solo travel. I also share information on the best places to eat, drink, and shop, as well as the best outdoor activities and attractions.
When I am not traveling, you can find me in Brisbane where I call home. I love the city’s laid-back atmosphere and the great food and coffee scene. I also enjoy spending time with my friends and family, and taking my dog for long walks along the river.