Ahhh, summer – the only season that can bring the perfect combination of long days, good vibes and delectable recipes. If you want to stay cool, refreshed and keep your hunger satiated, nothing is better than the classic summer favorite: Watermelon Steak! With its refreshing and light flavor, it’s no wonder why it’s become a popular summer dish. Head over to this article to learn how you can make your own masterpiece, and enjoy the taste of summer all year long!
1. Summer-Infused Flavor: Watermelon Steak!
Nothing says summer like a sweet and juicy watermelon! Watermelon steaks give a unique and incredibly delicious twist to the favorite summertime fruit. Here are ways you can *turn up the flavor* of this delicious, summertime snack:
- For a fiery flavor, try dusting your steak with some chili powder!
- Adding a dash of paprika and a pinch of salt will give your watermelon steak a smoky and savory twist.
- A sprinkle of fresh ground pepper will create a dangerously delicious taste.
If you’re feeling adventurous, you can experiment with different flavors and customize your watermelon steak to your taste. Try combining spices and herbs like cumin, coriander, or oregano with a drizzle of olive oil and a squeeze of lime juice. If you love the flavor of garlic, try adding chopped cloves to the mix. For added sweetness, coating the watermelon steak with a bit of brown sugar or honey can give a unique and indulgent finish.
2. A Fresh Way to Enjoy the Season
Make the most of the summer with a slow-paced and minimalistic approach. Take your time exploring nature, preparing meals, and creating unique experiences.
Here are a few ways to enjoy summer slowly:
- Go stargazing. Find a dark spot away from streetlights, set up your telescope (or just use your eyes!), and take some time to appreciate the breathtaking view of the night sky.
- Go on a nature walk. Find a peaceful nature walk or trail, and explore the beauty of your surroundings. Enjoy the sounds, sights, and smells, and take photos to capture the memories.
- Make a home-cooked meal together. Try out a new recipe or relish your favorite dish. Celebrate the season with your loved ones and let the food nourish not just your body, but your spirit.
3. A Surprising Twist to Familiar Fruits
Many fruits get a bad rap for supposedly being boring, especially when it comes to using them in recipes. But fruits can actually be some of the most exciting ingredients in your meal! So, here are three ways to liven up familiar fruits:
- Strawberry salsa – Forget tomatoes! Try a strawberry salsa for your next taco night. Simply blend strawberries, jalapeno, red onion, cilantro, lime juice, and a pinch of salt. This sweet and spicy salsa is sure to wake up your taste buds!
- Flambed Bananas – If you’re feeling adventurous, don’t sleep on flambed bananas. Simply heat an orange liqueur in a pan and add peeled bananas. Once the bananas are golden and caramelized, pour the liqueur and bananas over ice cream and enjoy!
- Banana Nutella Crepes – For something sweet and decadent, try banana nutella crepes. Layer slices of bananas and nutella in pancake-like crepes, then roll them up and cook until golden. Top with powdered sugar or maple syrup and serve!
Don’t be afraid to experiment with different types of fruits in the kitchen. There are so many flavors and combinations to explore, meaning the possibilities are practically endless!
4. Savory and Sweet: Creating the Perfect Watermelon Steak
As a refreshing summer meal essential, watermelon is not only packed with flavor, but also provides a dose of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants – perfect for when you’re trying to avoid hitting the drive-thru. Fortunately, you don’t have to limit yourself to the same old watermelon salad; combining it with some savory ingredients will turn your watermelon into an entrée worthy of any summer barbecue.
For a delicious and unique meal, try creating a watermelon steak: marinate pre-cut, thick slices of watermelon with a spicy rub, heat them up in a skillet and serve with a topping of your choice. Here’s how to make it:
- Mix together 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper, 1/4 teaspoon of smoked paprika and 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt.
- Coat your watermelon slices with the rub and let it sit for 1 to 2 hours in the refrigerator.
- Heat up a skillet to medium-high heat and add the prepared watermelon.
- Cook the watermelon for 3 minutes per side.
- Garnish with your choice of topping – freshly diced tomato and basil, grilled pineapple, or grilled carrots and onions are just a few ideas.
- Enjoy your delectable watermelon steak!
5. Crafting Your Own Watermelon Steak Recipe
Are you a fan of sizzling, juicy watermelon steaks? If so, why not try crafting your very own watermelon steak recipe? With a few simple ingredients, you can make a healthy and delicious dinner that will be sure to impress your dinner guests. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 Thinly sliced watermelon steaks
- 1/4 cup of melted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper
Once you have all the ingredients gathered, the preparation process is a breeze. Preheat the oven to 350°F and lightly grease a baking dish. Then combine the melted butter, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt, and ground black pepper. Spread the butter and seasonings over the watermelon steaks and place them in the baking dish. Bake for 15 minutes and then remove from the oven to let them cool.
6. Tips for Perfectly Grilled Watermelon
1. Choose the Perfect Watermelon
Select a watermelon that has a deep, even colour and some field marks such as a place where another watermelon rested on it’s top. It should have a good heft and feel dense for optimum juiciness. Look for heavy, symmetrical watermelons for the best chances at success.
2. Prep the Watermelon
- Cut the watermelon in half and remove the seeds.
- Lay the cut side of the watermelon onto a cutting board and slice it into thick slices, about one inch thick.
- Generously rub the sliced watermelon with olive oil to help them caramelize.
3. Fire Up the Grill
To achieve a crispy exterior, the grill needs to be hot enough. Preheat the grates for at least 15 minutes and make sure the temperature for grilling is set to medium-high heat.
7. Serving up Tender and Juicy Watermelon Steak
The idea of turning a typically sweet and hydrating melon into a savory steak-like meal seems unlikely, but those worrisome uncertainties quickly transform into delightful food cravings when learning how to make a tender watermelon steak. Here’s what you’ll need to harvest the best watermelon dishes from your kitchen.
- 1 large seedless watermelon
- 1 ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
Cut the watermelon into thick slices, each one about 1 inch thick. You can make them round or square, depending on the shape of the watermelon. Rub each side with the garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Place the pieces in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until each side is charred and juicy.
So now that you have all the instructions, get ready to have an unbelievably tasty watermelon steak!
8. Accompaniments to Enhance Summer Dishes
Nothing says summer like grilling in the sunshine and taking in the good vibes. To make the summer dishes you create even better, consider adding some delicious accompaniments! There are so many exciting options to enhance your summer dishes.
Here are some great accompaniments to make your summer dishes shine:
- Dressings: An array of dressings can provide added zing and zest to any summer meal. Consider adding a balsamic vinaigrette, Asian-style peanut sauce, or cool and creamy buttermilk dressing.
- Relishes: Relishes brighten up dishes with a flavorful pop of color. Add a dollop of sweet corn relish, a chunky tomato relish, or a bowl of more mild cucumber relish.
- Condiments: Bring extra flavor and heat to your summer dishes with condiments like spicy pepper jelly, chipotle aioli, and honey mustard. Have fun experimenting with different condiments to create something truly unique.
- Herbs: Adding herbs like parsley, dill, chives, or basil can be a great way to infuse a dish with a burst of summer flavor. For a herb-y summer twist, you can even mix up your own herb blend.
9. Nutritious Benefits of Eating Watermelon Steaks
Watermelon steaks are one of the most nutritious snacks you can have. Delicious and juicy, they are packed with essential vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that can help you stay healthy. Here are 9 nutritional benefits of eating watermelon steaks:
- Lycopene: Lycopene is a carotenoid found in watermelon steaks that is known for its antioxidant properties and has been linked to a lower risk of heart disease and certain types of cancer, including prostate cancer.
- Vitamins A and C: Watermelon steaks are a good source of both vitamin A and vitamin C, which help boost the immune system and protect the body from harmful free radicals.
- Potassium: Potassium is an electrolyte that helps regulate blood pressure, muscle contraction and other bodily functions. One serving of watermelon steaks contains about 10% of the daily recommended value of potassium.
Watermelon steaks also provide other essential nutrients such as vitamin B6, magnesium and iron. Vitamin B6 is important for energy metabolism and brain function, while magnesium helps with muscle and nerve function. Lastly, iron helps the body absorb oxygen and produce red blood cells. All of these essential nutrients can help you keep your body in top condition.
10. Enjoy Summer Every Day with a Watermelon Steak!
Summer is a time for indulging in some refreshing treats, and watermelon steak is one such delight. Enjoy the sweet, succulent flavor of the fruit with this easy-to-make recipe!
Ingredients and Preparation Instructions:
- 1 large seedless watermelon
- Olive oil
- Salt to taste
Preheat your oven to 375°F. Cut a thick 2-inch slice of the watermelon and lightly drizzle with olive oil. Place the watermelon slice on a parchment-lined baking sheet and sprinkle with salt. Bake for 25 minutes or until the watermelon has a light golden hue.
- Top with crumbled feta cheese for a delicious salty and sweet combination!
- Serve warm over a bed of lettuce with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
- Garnish with mint leaves for a refreshing flavor.
Enjoy your watermelon steak the same day it’s cooked for the best texture and flavor!
Grab your forks, friends! It’s time to head to the kitchen and enjoy this delicious, seasonal treat — the watermelon steak. Not only will this colorful creation provide a fun and tasty experience, but it’ll also remind you of the sunny days and warmer weather of summertime. So embrace the flavor, and enjoy!
Hi, my name is Luke Mitchell and I am a travel blogger based in Brisbane, Australia. I am the owner and creator of Arfra.org, the best blog about everything related to traveling in Australia. I have always had a passion for exploring new places and cultures and I decided to turn that passion into a career. I started Arfra.org to share my experiences and help others plan their own adventures in Australia.
I have traveled extensively throughout Australia and have a wealth of knowledge and tips to share. From the rugged outback to the beautiful beaches, I have been there and done that. I am also always on the lookout for the latest and greatest in the travel industry, so my readers can always expect to find the latest information on everything from hotels and resorts to tours and activities.
In my blog, I cover a wide range of topics including budget travel, luxury travel, family travel, and solo travel. I also share information on the best places to eat, drink, and shop, as well as the best outdoor activities and attractions.
When I am not traveling, you can find me in Brisbane where I call home. I love the city’s laid-back atmosphere and the great food and coffee scene. I also enjoy spending time with my friends and family, and taking my dog for long walks along the river.