Summertime is right around the corner, and with it comes the return of barbecues and grilling season! While there are many delicious options on the grill, have you ever tried something a little different than the usual fare? Take advantage of the season’s bounty and step up your grilling game with something truly unique: watermelon steaks! Prepare to light up the grill with a juicy, flavorful favorite that’ll become an instant favorite.
1. Fire up the Grill and Sizzle Up Some Watermelon Steaks
A splash of color, a boost of flavor and a smoky crunch – it’s time to . Whether you’re whipping up a last-minute barbecue or going for a veggie-packed meal, this showstopper of a dish will bring your summer feast to life.
To start, slice a watermelon into thick ‘steaks’ – Each steak should be roughly 2 – 3cm thick. Give them a brush of olive oil before placing them onto the preheated grill. Put the lid down and let them cook for 5 minutes – Check on them occasionally to avoid charring.
Once the steaks have developed grill marks, it’s time to season them with honey, lime juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Sprinkle a generous handful of coriander, mint, and chilis for a blazing burst of flavor, then flip them and let them cook for another 5 minutes.
Take the steaks off the grill and serve them with a sprinkle of feta – or add them to a veggie-packed platter with tomatoes, avocados, cucumbers and radishes. For a meaty version, pair them with grilled sausages and a dollop of hot BBQ sauce.
Sizzle up some delicious watermelon steaks and get your grill grooving this summer – the perfect way to liven up the backyard feast.
2. Making Delicious Steaks with Just a Few Ingredients
If you want to make a tender and juicy steak for dinner but don’t have much in the pantry, don’t worry! With a few ingredients, you can create delicious steaks that are worthy of being served in the most exclusive restaurants. Here are the basics:
- A good quality cut of steak: choose the cut according to how it’s going to be cooked.
- Salt, pepper and other spices, to taste.
- Oil: use high smoke-point oil to get the right kind of sear.
Once you’ve gathered your ingredients, the rest is easy. Start by patting the steak dry with some kitchen paper, so that it can really soak up the flavour of the seasoning. Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides and massage the spices into the meat. Heat a thick pan over a high heat and add some oil. When it’s almost smoking, add the steak and cook it for 3 minutes on each side. When done, reduce the heat and let the steak rest for about 5 minutes before serving.
3. Adding an Exotic Twist to Your Summer Grilling
Making the most of a warm summer day isn’t just about being outdoors–it’s about exploring new flavors and recipes that you can use to make your grilling party even better. can make it an unforgettable experience.
Let’s start with the marinade:
- Try mixing fava beans and corn in olive oil and garlic to give your marinade a distinctly Mediterranean flavor.
- Make a marinade with saffron, citrus juice and smoked paprika for a hint of Spanish-style seasoning.
- Sesame seeds and a hint of miso paste will give your dish an unmistakable Asian flair.
- For a unique South American touch, mix your favorite herbs, jalapeño, and lime juice.
Let’s move on to the side dishes:
- For an Indian-inspired side, add raita (Greek yogurt, cucumber and spices) over quinoa.
- Give your grilled vegetables a Middle Eastern twist by seasoning them with pomegranate molasses and tahini.
- For a Mexican-style side, scoop warm bean salsa onto a bed of fresh chopped cilantro.
- Keep things crispy by grilling slices of plantain and top with fresh mango salsa.
4. Benefits of Substituting Watermelon Steaks for Meat
Substituting watermelon steaks for meat offers numerous health benefits that you won’t get from most other types of foods. Watermelons are incredibly hydrating, they’re heart-healthy, they can help to reduce inflammation and naturally support joint health, and they offer a great source of many essential vitamins and minerals.
Here are some of the top benefits of incorporating watermelon steaks into your regular diet:
- Hydration: Watermelons are over 90% water, so they can boost your hydration levels and help you feel energized and alert throughout the day.
- Protein: Watermelon steaks are surprisingly high in protein when compared to many other plant-based foods. The protein and vitamins in watermelons can help to support muscle growth and development.
- Antioxidants: Watermelon steaks are packed with natural antioxidants, which can help to fight off damage from environmental toxins and reduce oxidative stress.
- Fiber: Fiber is essential for healthy digestion and proper nutrient absorption, and watermelon steaks are an excellent source of dietary fiber.
Making the switch to watermelon steaks can help you feel fit and healthy without a lot of effort. As an added bonus, they taste great – and they’re a lot more fun than traditional steaks!
5. Can’t Beat the Health Factor of Watermelon
Watermelon is made up of mostly water, so it’s a great way to stay hydrated. It also contains vital electrolytes like potassium and magnesium, which help to replenish the body and ensure optimal hydration levels. Plus, its high water content makes it a great source of hydration without adding any excess calories.
Watermelon is a nutrient-packed snack that’s great for your health. It’s packed with vitamins A and C, antioxidants, and amino acids that help keep your heart, skin and bones healthy. Additionally, it’s an excellent source of lycopene, a powerful antioxidant that may help lower cholesterol and reduce the risks of certain cancers. Some of the key benefits of eating watermelon include:
- Promotes healthy skin
- Helps to boost immune system
- Keeps bones strong
- May help to reduce hypertension
Watermelon is a delicious and nutritious snack that can fit into any healthy diet. In addition to its health benefits, it can satisfy your sweet tooth without packing on the calories. Enjoy this delicious treat all year long to get your dose of health-boosting vitamins and minerals!
6. Versatile Marinade and Spice Combos for Optimal Flavor
Getting creative in the kitchen can be overwhelming when faced with the variety of ingredients that one can choose from. But fear not, a few go-to marinade and spice combinations can unleash optimal flavor profiles and impress your guests.
Try these combinations for a flavorful kick:
- Garlic and Cumin: With earthy and pungent overtones, these two create a delicious base for grilled, roasted, or braised dishes like fish, chicken, and steak.
- Lemon, Oregano, Dill: This is the go-to blend for light, fresh flavors. This mix is great for fish and vegetables, but also works with poultry and pork.
- Honey, Mustard, Thyme: This combo is perfect for simple meat marinades and adds a great kick. The honey glaze adds a crisp exterior and rich sweetness to grilled and roasted meats.
- Chipotle and Soy Sauce: For a perfect balance of smokiness and heat, try this marriage of flavors. It works best with beef, pork, and chicken but also adds a kick to roasted vegetables and salads.
Experiment with different flavors and marinade/spice combinations to create a variety of exciting dishes.
7. Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Grilled Watermelon Steaks
In the warm summer months, nothing beats a juicy steak grilled over an open flame. But when looking to really impress your guests, why not try something a bit more unique? Grilled watermelon steaks are a wonderful summer treat that will delight the taste buds and satisfy hunger.
These recipes can be as simple or as complex as you like, but there are a few tips and tricks that are essential for grilling the perfect watermelon steak:
- Choose a large, firm watermelon: You want the watermelon steak to hold together on the grill and maintain its steak-like shape, so selecting a large and firm watermelon is key. When selecting a watermelon, look for one with a smooth, un-bruised skin, no yellow spots, and one that is heavy for its size.
- Slice evenly: When it comes time to slice the watermelon, the trick is to get even steaks that are roughly one inch thick. This will not only ensure even cooking; it will also help the watermelon slices keep their steak-like shape on the grill.
- Keep the heat low: Watermelon cooks quickly and can easily become dry and shriveled. That is why using low, indirect heat is best. You don’t want to direct heat the steaks, as this will cause them to burn and dry out.
- Season to taste: Finally, after you have grilled the steaks, you can season them with your favorite herbs and spices. Try sprinkling on some sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, garlic powder, or even a bit of olive oil.
Following these steps will help you create the perfect grilled watermelon steaks that will surely impress your guests. So the next time you want to fire up the grill, don’t settle for normal steaks. Instead, get creative with delicious grilled watermelon steaks!
8. No Fuss Recipes that Make Grilling Easier
Grilling can be a lot of fun, but it can also be overwhelming and stressful. But it doesn’t have to be this way! With these 8 No Fuss Recipes, you can make your grilling experience easier and tastier.
1. Grilled Caprese: This Italian classic is so fast and easy! Slice some juicy tomatoes and mozzarella, drizzle with olive oil and a sprinkle of oregano and basil. Grill until the cheese is soft and the tomatoes caramelized – a few minutes is all it takes!
2. Bacon-Wrapped Fish: Put an interesting twist on your fish by wrapping it in slices of bacon. Secure with a toothpick and pop onto the grill. Once the bacon is golden and crisp, your fish is good to go!
3. Grilled Halloumi: Enjoy this squeaky cheese on the grill. Marinade the halloumi in your favourite flavours and sprinkle with a bit of smoked paprika for extra heat. Grill until golden and enjoy!
4. Ogleshield Cheese Skewers: Ogleshield has unparalleled melting capabilities, making it the perfect cheese to enjoy on the grill! Thread cubes of Ogleshield onto a skewer and grill until the cheese has oozed and caramelized. Delicious!
5. Vegetable Stack: This vibrant dish is a crowd-pleaser. Slice a variety of colourful vegetables, like zucchini, bell pepper, asparagus and red onion. Grill for about 8 minutes for a succulent accompaniment to any meal.
6. Burger Sliders: Mini burgers make grilling incredibly easy! Mix beef mince with your favourite seasonings, form into small patties, and pop them onto the grill for a few minutes for a delicious bite-sized treat.
7. Caramelised Pineapple: Sweeten up your BBQ with delicious caramelised pineapple. Slice the pineapple, brush with honey and sprinkle with cinnamon. Grill until lightly charred and caramelised – a truly decadent treat!
8. Grilled Pizza: This fully-loaded pizza is a surefire crowd-pleaser. Top your favourite pre-cooked flatbread with tomatoes, salami, mushrooms and cheese. Grill until golden and bubbly – almost too easy!
9. Succulent Steaks for Any Occasion and Any Palette
Nothing beats a succulent steak, cooked to perfection. Whether you’re feeding a small family dinner or you’re putting on an amazing spread for a larger crowd, steaks can easily be your go-to option. Here are some of the best succulent steaks to choose from for any occasion.
- Tenderloins: Tenderloins are one of the most luxurious steaks available. It is an incredibly tender cut of steak that is usually quite expensive. Slice it up into bite-sized pieces or cook it whole and have a delicious, special-occasion steak.
- Ribeye: The ribeye is a classic steak, boasting a very juicy and rich flavor. Their marbelization allows for extraordinary tenderness, and there’s more than enough fat for maximum seasoning. It’s amazing for family dinners, small gatherings, and quick meals to satisfy any hungry palate.
- Strip Steak: While strip steaks are a little milder in flavor, they are no less scrumptious. A popular choice for steak entrees and sandwiches, strip steaks are easy to toss in marinades and full of texture and flavor. They also retain their tenderness when cooked for shorter amounts of time.
- Flatiron Steaks: Flatiron steaks are among the least expensive steaks that still provide an excellent flavor and texture. They come from the shoulder region and are historically tougher than other cuts. But when cooked correctly, they have the ability to tenderize exceptionally quickly.
No matter the occasion, steak is a reliable and delicious way to please any palate. Succulent steaks are sure to be a hit at any event, no matter which type you choose. Foot off and enjoy a juicy, tender steak!
10. Dazzling Dishes to Light Up Your Grill This Summer
Target Audience: General
Summer is here and with it, the time to bring out the grill and enjoy some outdoor cooking. Whether it’s a small gathering of family or something larger, one thing is certain – the food must be delicious! Here’s a list of ten dazzling dishes to light up your grill and show off your culinary skills.
Lemon Chicken Kebabs: Who doesn’t love kebabs? This easy-to-make dish has it all – succulent chicken pieces, capsicum, onions and mushrooms, delicately spiced and marinated in a zesty lemon dressing. Serve with a tangy pomegranate and mint yoghurt dip for extra deliciousness.
Lamb Burgers & Potato Wedges: A classic combo that never fails to please. Create juicy and flavourful lamb burgers, served with hot and crunchy potato wedges and homemade garlic mayo. Guaranteed to keep everyone happy!
Grilled Corn: A terrific side dish that’s sure to be a hit at any event. Simply brush corn cobs with butter and a little lime juice, season with salt and pepper, and pop them on the fire. Serve with butter for a taste of pure summery goodness.
Tandoori Chicken: Chicken wings are a perennial crowd pleaser, and tandoori chicken is no exception. Marinate the wings in a spice paste, then place them on the grill and let them sizzle to perfection. Serve with a tasty mango chutney or sweet raita.
BBQ Pork Ribs: Ribs have nothing on your grill. Cook slow and low and baste with your favourite sauce to create succulent and tender ribs that will have your guests licking their lips. Perfect for any party.
Paprika Prawn Skewers: Fire up the grill and create these delicious prawn skewers. Marinated in a rich paprika and garlic marinade, these prawns are sure to be hit. Serve with a delicious hummus dip for an extra burst of flavour.
Veggie Burgers: Make your grilling a little more health-conscious with these veggie burgers. Create patties from lentils and quinoa, then top with tomatoes, lettuce, and onions and serve on a toasted bun. Who says eating healthy can’t taste amazing?
Teriyaki Salmon: A wonderfully simple dish that’s quick to prepare, salmon is versatile and perfect for grilling. Marinate the fillet in teriyaki sauce before flipping it over the heat – serve with grilled asparagus, or a fresh green salad.
Grilled Halloumi: Is there anything better than halloumi? Add this cheese to the grill with some fresh vegetables and you have a stunning vegetarian dish. Tip: cook the halloumi separately to preserve its texture, then serve with a zesty lemon vinaigrette.
Fajitas: Give your guests a real treat with these amazing Mexican-style fajitas. Cook the chicken, onion and peppers over hot charcoal, served on warm tortillas with guacamole, salsa, and sour cream. Even the pickiest eaters will want seconds.
So next time you want to add something special to your barbecue menu, try changing things up and serving some delicious watermelon steaks. The unique combination of savory seasoning and sweet fruit will light up your grill and your taste buds!
Hi, my name is Luke Mitchell and I am a travel blogger based in Brisbane, Australia. I am the owner and creator of Arfra.org, the best blog about everything related to traveling in Australia. I have always had a passion for exploring new places and cultures and I decided to turn that passion into a career. I started Arfra.org to share my experiences and help others plan their own adventures in Australia.
I have traveled extensively throughout Australia and have a wealth of knowledge and tips to share. From the rugged outback to the beautiful beaches, I have been there and done that. I am also always on the lookout for the latest and greatest in the travel industry, so my readers can always expect to find the latest information on everything from hotels and resorts to tours and activities.
In my blog, I cover a wide range of topics including budget travel, luxury travel, family travel, and solo travel. I also share information on the best places to eat, drink, and shop, as well as the best outdoor activities and attractions.
When I am not traveling, you can find me in Brisbane where I call home. I love the city’s laid-back atmosphere and the great food and coffee scene. I also enjoy spending time with my friends and family, and taking my dog for long walks along the river.