Everyone knows that grilling up a steak is one of life’s simplest summer pleasures. But have you ever tried grilling up a watermelon steak? Discover how grilling up this unusual and unexpected fruit can turn an everyday barbecue into a truly unforgettable summer experience.
1. Introducing Watermelon Steak: Deliciously Unexpected
Watermelon Steak—An Unusual, Tantalizing Treat
Take a plain, unassuming watermelon slice, yet add a few simple ingredients and a dash of culinary finesse, and you have a recipe for lip-smacking, gourmet delight. This is the genius behind watermelon steak. It’s transformed an ordinary summertime snack into a unique and flavorful treat that just begs to be shared with friends.
The process is simple: just slice a ripe watermelon into steaks, mix together fresh lime juice, salt, and pepper, give each steak a generous drizzle of the mixture, then grill the steak and serve. The flavor of the meaty watermelon pairs surprisingly well with the lime, creating a delightful contrast of sweet and savory. To boost the steak’s complexity, top it with a sprinkling of freshly chopped herbs before grilling, such as dill and cilantro. At the table, watermelon steak can be served with a variety of accompaniments, from a creamy yogurt-based sauce to a splash of sizzling hot chili oil.
- Sliced watermelon steaks
- Fresh lime juice
- Salt and pepper
- Dill and cilantro
- Yogurt-based sauce
- Chili oil
2. Let’s Get Grilling: How to Make Watermelon Steak
Get Your Grill Ready: Watermelon steak is a quick and easy way to enjoy the sweet flavor of fresh watermelon. So, grab your grill and get ready to cook up a delicious meal. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Fresh watermelon, cut into steaks
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Let the Grilling Begin: Start by brushing each steak with balsamic vinegar and then season with the garlic salt and pepper. Heat your grill to a medium high heat, then brush each steak with the olive oil. Place the steaks onto the grill for about five minutes, flipping halfway through. Once done, move the steaks to a plate to cool for about five minutes before serving.
3. Spice Things Up: Marinades to Add Some Zing
Every home cook knows that marinades are a great way to give dishes a unique flavor. Marinating meats and vegetables can add a delicious zing to your dinner. Here are some tried-and-true marinade recipes that can take your meals to the next level:
- Classic Italian Marinade: This easy-to-make marinade uses garlic, oregano, basil, and olive oil to give dishes a spicy, Mediterranean twist. Perfect for grilled steak, chicken, and vegetables.
- Sesame Soy: An Asian-inspired marinade featuring garlic, ginger, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Perfect for salmon, chicken, and tofu.
- Citrus Herb: This zesty blend of lemon juice, thyme, oregano, and olive oil adds a bright flavor to fish, vegetables, and even pork.
Once you’ve chosen the marinade that best meets your needs, it’s time to start cooking! Meats, vegetables, and even some starches – like potatoes – can all be marinated, so don’t be afraid to experiment. With the right marinade, you’ll have a meal that’s bursting with flavor in no time.
4. Bringing the Heat: What Temperature to Grill Watermelon Steak
Grilling watermelon steak is a fun and delicious way to enjoy summer fruits. The key to making this dish delicious is getting the temperature just right. To get the perfect watermelon steak, here’s what you need to know:
- Choose your heat: When grilling watermelon, you can use an open flame or keep it juicy in a pan. Choose whatever works best for you.
- Air it out: Make sure to keep the heat at medium-to-high heat. This will give you the perfect juicy texture.
- Keep an eye on it: Cook for about 5 minutes on each side, flipping after each side is cooked. If the outside is getting dark, you may want to turn the heat down.
If you’re looking to kick your watermelon steak up a notch, you can add some spices such as garlic powder, smoked paprika, or garlic salt. These can all add some extra flavor to the dish. Just make sure to not overcook the steak to ensure that the spices don’t burn.
5. Time for Toppings: Ideas to Try
Toppings are one of the best features of a good meal. They can add both flavor and texture to a dish, making it even more enjoyable. Here are some ideas to help you take your dish to the next level:
- Cheeses: From classics like mozzarella, to something a bit more out of the ordinary like blue cheese, adding a bit of cheese to your dish is sure to make it even more delicious.
- Sauces: From the ubiquitous ketchup, to the exotic sriracha, sauces are a great way to add a little bit of extra flavor and moisture to your dish.
- Vegetables: Crispy and flavorful, adding a few extra vegetables to your meal is a great way to add some nutrition and bulk. Think bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, and more!
There are countless other toppings that you could use, so have fun with it and find what works best for your dish. Your taste buds, and your stomach, will thank you!
6. A Mouthful of Summer: Watermelon Steak Pairings
Nothing says summer like a fresh, juicy slice of watermelon! This juicy, flavorful fruit can be enjoyed on its own as a snack or dessert, but in this post we are exploring some creative ideas for pairing watermelon with steak for a mouthful of summer satisfaction. Here are some of our favorite combos:
- A classic BBQ steak and watermelon salad, with a tangy vinaigrette.
- Watermelon, cucumber and feta sprinkles atop a char-grilled ribeye.
- Watermelon, basil and Parmesan shavings melted into a juicy hanger steak.
- Fresh pineapple, kiwi and watermelon slices, scattered over grilled flank steak.
These combinations are just the beginning: you can get creative and add all kinds of flavors to your watermelon steak pairings. Whether you’re a fan of smoky, spicy, sweet or savory, you’re sure to find plenty of ways to bring summer to your plate!
7. Skillet, Grill, or Smoke: What’s the Best Way to Prepare Watermelon Steak
Wondering what the best way is to prepare watermelon steak? Well, there’s no one-size-fits-all answer. The method that you choose depends largely on what kind of flavor profile you want to create and how much time you want to invest in the preparation. Here are some tips on what cooking process to try, based on your preferences.
Skillet: For a quick, caramelized texture and a slightl smoky flavor profile, you can’t go wrong with using a skillet. Heat up a pan on medium high heat, pour in some oil with spices, and cook the steak for a few minutes on each side. Don’t forget to season it!
Grill:There’s nothing quite like the taste of barbecued watermelon steak. Start by preheating the grill and brushing oil on the surface to avoid sticking. Place the steak on the grill and let it cook for 5-7 minutes per side, or until it your desired level of doneness is achieved. Be careful not to undercook it.
Smoke:Smoked watermelon steak has a distinct flavor profile and tender texture after several hours. For a big batch of steak, you can season with oil and spices, wrap them in foil or butcher paper, store them in an airtight container in the fridge overnight, and then finally smoke on low heat for at least 4-5 hours. With this method, you’ll be sure to get a juicy, smoky steak every time.
8. Combining Sweet and Savory: Creative Recipes with Watermelon Steak
Watermelon steaks are like regular steaks, only sweeter and healthier! They taste great on their own, but combine them with some savory ingredients for an unexpected and delicious twist. Take your cooking to the next level with these creative recipes:
- Steak tacos with watermelon pico de gallo: Combine grilled watermelon steak with a savory and spicy homemade pico de gallo. Serve it in soft taco shells with a side of crema.
- Fried watermelon steak sandwiches: Bread your watermelon steak slices and fry them to perfection. Serve in a. brioche bun with jalapeños and a side of chipotle mayonnaise.
From snacks to entrees, watermelon steak can do it all. Experiment with different seasonings to come up with your own signature recipes. Try serve it with a simple salad or eat it on its own. You won’t regret it!
9. Prep and safety Tips For Destined-to-be Deliciously Grilled Watermelon Steak
Grilling watermelon steaks can be a challenging task, especially if you’ve never prepared them before. But when done right, the result will be a delicious and healthy meal. Here are some preparation and safety tips to make sure your watermelon steaks turn out amazingly delicious!
- Clean and prepare your grill before you start cooking your watermelon steaks. Make sure to scrape off any leftover food and brush clean the mesh.
- Cut your watermelon into 2 cm-thick steaks and season them with salt and pepper to taste.
- When ready to cook, preheat the grill to medium heat.
Always exercise caution when grilling your watermelon steaks, as the high heat can cause the watermelon to char and burn quickly. You may need to adjust the heat level of the grill to get the char you desire without burning the steaks. To do this, place the steaks on indirect heat, on the side of the grill flares up the least. Grill the steaks for about 4 minutes on each side or until the desired char is achieved.
10. Into the Sunset: End the Evening with Grilled Watermelon Steak
The combination of sweet and savory flavors in this dish is a delicious way to end your evening on a high note. Create a romantic atmosphere for your dinner with this simple yet elegant meal.
To make grilled watermelon steak:
- Cut the watermelon into thick slices.
- Brush them with olive oil and season with salt, pepper, and other herbs or spices of your choice.
- Grill the watermelons on each side for about 2 minutes until charred and still firm.
- Serve with a side salad for a balanced meal.
You’ll be sure to have impressed your guests – however, be prepared for the conversation to go late into the night!
If you’re feeling adventurous, give watermelon steak a try! You’re guaranteed to experience new flavor sensations that will have you wanting more. Don’t let the summer end without grilling up something different – trust us, it’s worth it!
Hi, my name is Luke Mitchell and I am a travel blogger based in Brisbane, Australia. I am the owner and creator of Arfra.org, the best blog about everything related to traveling in Australia. I have always had a passion for exploring new places and cultures and I decided to turn that passion into a career. I started Arfra.org to share my experiences and help others plan their own adventures in Australia.
I have traveled extensively throughout Australia and have a wealth of knowledge and tips to share. From the rugged outback to the beautiful beaches, I have been there and done that. I am also always on the lookout for the latest and greatest in the travel industry, so my readers can always expect to find the latest information on everything from hotels and resorts to tours and activities.
In my blog, I cover a wide range of topics including budget travel, luxury travel, family travel, and solo travel. I also share information on the best places to eat, drink, and shop, as well as the best outdoor activities and attractions.
When I am not traveling, you can find me in Brisbane where I call home. I love the city’s laid-back atmosphere and the great food and coffee scene. I also enjoy spending time with my friends and family, and taking my dog for long walks along the river.