Few summertime snacks can beat the thirst-quenching, juicy flavor of a watermelon. But did you know you can also use this delicious and healthy fruit as a main course? Grilling up a delightful watermelon steak promises to be a delicious journey. Let’s get cooking!
1. Tasty Treat: Grilling Up A Watermelon Steak
Summer brings the smell of smoky barbeques to many backyards, and while burgers and chicken are a staple in the summer cooking lineup, why not try something unique and unique-tasting like a watermelon steak! Each steak gives you a sweet but savory taste that you won’t find with your other traditional grilling options.
Grilling up watermelon steaks is easy, here’s how:
- Slice your watermelon. You want to cut your watermelon into thick slices, about the same size as steak for the best grilling experience.
- Brush with oil. Using a pastry brush, lightly coat both sides of the watermelon steak with canola or olive oil to help with the caramelization during the grilling process.
- Season. Don’t forget to sprinkle salt, pepper, and other desired seasonings onto the steaks.
- Grill. Place your steaks on the hot grill and cook for about 4 minutes. Flip the steak and continue to cook until desired temperature is reached.
2. Preparing Your Watermelon For Grilling
There’s hardly any summer barbecue that doesn’t include everyone’s favorite fruit – watermelon. is easy, and it’s key for ensuring your dish turns out tasty. Here are steps to get your watermelon prepped for the grill.
- Pick a ripe watermelon: The riper the better. When selecting your watermelon from the market or the grocery store, make sure to pick one that’s firm and heavy for its size, but still has some give. Don’t forget to give it a sniff – it should have a sweet smell.
- Cut it up: Slice the watermelon into 1-inch-thick slices, and if desired, you can cube them. Make sure to remove all the seeds.
- Marinate the watermelon: In a bowl, mix together 1/4 cup of olive oil, and any spices or herbs of choice. Then coat each watermelon slice in the marinade, and let it sit for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
By this point, you’re watermelon slices are ready for the grill. Alternatively, you can put the marinated slices in an aluminum pan, cover it with foil, and put it in the oven for about 35 minutes at 300° F. Now it’s time to enjoy awesome grilled watermelon in the summertime.
3. Firing Up The Grill For The Best Watermelon Steak
Grilling Watermelon As If It Were A Steak
Believe it or not, grilling watermelon can very much resemble steak! It has the same smoky and charred flavors, with a creamy, juicy interior – the only difference is it’s much healthier for you. Grilling watermelon is a great way to switch up traditional grilling recipes, especially in the summertime. Here’s how to do it:
- Cut the watermelon into steak-like slices.
- Lightly brush with oil and season with salt & pepper.
- Grill for 2-3 minutes on each side.
The char marks will give the watermelon the “perfectly cooked” look, and then it’s ready to be eaten! You can top it with a fresh herb vinaigrette, feta cheese, or a spicy cilantro pesto. Whatever you choose, it will add delicious and unique flavor to your summertime grilling session.
4. Adding A Burst Of Flavor With Your Favorite Spices
When it comes to adding flavor to your meals, spices can be one of your best allies. Every dish needs its own special blend, and there’s something for every taste. With the right combination, you can transform your meals in seconds.
Spices add an extra dimension to your culinary creations, and you can easily make your dishes taste amazing. Here’s how:
- Choose Your Base: Start off with your favorite blend of salt and pepper and choose additional spices from there. Consider smoked paprika, oregano, cumin, turmeric, and garlic powder.
- Start Small: Always be sure to begin with a small amount and add more to your desired taste.
- Start With a Potion: To avoid ending up with an inedible mess, follow a specific ratio when mixing ingredients.
- Find Your Favorites: Once you’ve developed an understanding of what spices make the best combinations, you can use these to add flavor to all of your recipes.
Whether you’re a novice chef or a spice-seeking master, adding spices to your dishes can create an expertly crafted meal. Soon, you’ll find yourself adding a little extra flavor with every dish.
5. Cooking The Perfectly Charred Watermelon Steak
Although watermelon can be seen more as a summer-time snack than a main course, when prepared correctly, it can make for a delicious steak. With a few simple steps, you’ll have the perfect, juicy watermelon steak:
- Run a sharp knife through the watermelon, creating thick, steak-like slices.
- Generously coat each steak with olive oil or other cooking oil.
- Sprinkle it with salt, pepper and other seasonings of your choice.
- Place the steaks on a preheated and oiled grill.
Cooking the Watermelon Steak
Once on the grill, let the steaks cook for 6-8 minutes without disturbing them. Flip the steaks, and cook for an additional 4 to 6 minutes, or until a perfectly charred crust has formed. Remove steaks from the grill and serve immediately. This cooking method results in a steak that is both juicy and smoky all at the same time. Serve with a side of your favorite grilled veggies, and enjoy a uniquely delicious meal!
6. Serving Up This Summertime Delight
Summer is the perfect time for some outdoor grilling! Fire up your barbeque and start thinking about the possibilities for your summer recipes! Here are a few of our favorite recipes for delicious summertime treats:
- Kebabs: Kebabs are a classic favorite for alfresco dinners. Marinate meat, seafood, and vegetables overnight and throw them on the barbeque for a delicious meal!
- Grilled Corn: Nothing beats freshly grilled sweet corn! Slather the husked ears of corn with a little olive oil, sprinkle on some sea salt or chili flakes, and throw them on the grill in the husk. Once golden, the result is a delectably sweet summertime snack.
- Grilled Pizza: Who said pizza night has to happen indoors? Grilled pizzas are a great way to satisfy everyone’s cravings. Grill the pizza dough until lightly golden, set it aside, top it with desired toppings and cheese, and finish it off on the grill!
Summertime grilling involves so much more than hotdogs and burgers – take inspiration from the season’s freshest ingredients and make your grill gatherings unique! Let the taste of summer linger with these easy-to-make and great-tasting recipes.
7. Pairing Recommendations For Your Watermelon Steak
Make it a Complete Meal
Watermelon steak is a wonderful summer treat, but it needs something more to make it a balanced meal. Consider pairing your delicious steak with some other summer favorites like:
- Grilled corn on the cob
- Roasted baby potatoes
- Honey-glazed carrots
- Marinated zucchini
Each of these sides compliment the natural sweetness of the watermelon steak with their own savory twist. Serve them all up together for a refreshingly delightful hot weather meal.
Summery Beverage Pairings
The flavors of watermelon steak also lend themselves wonderfully to some tasty summertime drink pairings. Some options that you may want to consider include:
- Sparkling fruit tea
- Mint julep
- Gin and tonic
Not only will they amplify the flavors of the steak, they are also a great way to stay hydrated in the summer’s heat. Enjoy this marvelous meal with your favorite summertime beverage.
8. Whipping Up A Simple Watermelon Steak Sauce
Searching for that perfect finishing flavour for your juicy watermelon steak? Look no further than this super easy and tasty watermelon steak sauce!
You’ll need just a few simple ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons of melted butter
- 2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of fresh boiling water
- 1 finely diced small red onion
- 2 teaspoons of grainy mustard
- 1 teaspoon of brown sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
Instructions: Simply melt the butter in a pan on medium heat and add the diced onions. Cook for around 5 minutes until the onions are softened. Add the remaining ingredients along with the melted butter and stir until the brown sugar dissolves. Allow the mixture to simmer for 5 minutes and voila!
Your easy watermelon steak sauce is now ready to pour over your dish. Enjoy!
9. Tips For The Perfect Watermelon Steak
Munching on juicy watermelon steaks is the perfect way to prepare for a summer feast. Here are some tips to make sure your watermelon steak is perfectly crunchy and sweet:
- Choose The Right Cut: Select a thick slice of watermelon with visible seedless and even edges for the perfect steak.
- Give it a Rinse: Make sure to rinse the watermelon steaks lightly before cutting, to avoid bacteria from the rind from coming in contact with the flesh.
- Create Perfectly Even Pieces: Take a sharp steak knife, and cut the watermelon slices into evenly-sized steaks.
- Time It Right: Serve your watermelon steaks within three days of cutting, as they tend to turn soggy and lose their sweetness over time.
- Storing Them Right: Place the steaks on a paper towel bed and store them in an airtight container in a refrigerator.
Missed a few seeds in the steak? No sweat. Use tweezers to pick them out gently, or use a paring knife and a spoon to carve out the seeds. And if you want to dress up those slices to make them even more appealing, sprinkle some chilli powder, Himalayan pink salt, balsamic vinegar, or you favorite herbs seasoning.
10. Enjoying Your Delicious Watermelon Steak!
Watermelon steak makes an unbeatable summer treat. With just a few ingredients, you can turn the classic summer fruit into a tasty main course.
Steps to Enjoy Your Watermelon Steak:
- Slice the watermelon into thick slices, about 2 inches thick.
- Place the slices on a lightly greased sheet pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill the slices for 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until lightly charred.
- Plate the steak slices and top with lemon juice, olive oil, and fresh herbs.
- Serve warm or cold with a side of grilled vegetables.
For a full-on meal, watermelon steak pairs wonderfully with a variety of side dishes. Consider adding grilled corn on the cob, roasted potatoes, or quinoa salad. With its seasonal sweetness and burst of flavor, watermelon steak is a refreshing and easy way to end the summer on a delicious note.
Who needs a regular steak when you can impress your friends and family with something as unique as a watermelon steak? Thanks to the grilling method, this tasty treat is sure to be the talk of the town. So don’t hesitate to give it a try – it could be the juiciest thing to hit your grill this summer!
Hi, my name is Luke Mitchell and I am a travel blogger based in Brisbane, Australia. I am the owner and creator of Arfra.org, the best blog about everything related to traveling in Australia. I have always had a passion for exploring new places and cultures and I decided to turn that passion into a career. I started Arfra.org to share my experiences and help others plan their own adventures in Australia.
I have traveled extensively throughout Australia and have a wealth of knowledge and tips to share. From the rugged outback to the beautiful beaches, I have been there and done that. I am also always on the lookout for the latest and greatest in the travel industry, so my readers can always expect to find the latest information on everything from hotels and resorts to tours and activities.
In my blog, I cover a wide range of topics including budget travel, luxury travel, family travel, and solo travel. I also share information on the best places to eat, drink, and shop, as well as the best outdoor activities and attractions.
When I am not traveling, you can find me in Brisbane where I call home. I love the city’s laid-back atmosphere and the great food and coffee scene. I also enjoy spending time with my friends and family, and taking my dog for long walks along the river.