Watermelons are a summertime staple. Whether you’re eating it straight up or blended in a cool drink, watermelon has a delightful flavor and texture. But what if we told you that you can enjoy it in a whole new way? If you’re feeling adventurous in the kitchen, why not try a slice of watermelon steak? You may be surprised by how delicious it can be.
1. The Surprising Deliciousness of Watermelon Steak
Watermelon steak has been gaining popularity as a tasty summer dish. It’s a huge surprise for many to find out that a watermelon can taste so delicious when cooked! The juicy, light purple flesh of the melon caramelizes when seared, taking on a meaty texture with a subtle sweetness.
The secret to making a great watermelon steak is to choose ripe, fresh watermelon and season it with salt and pepper before you cook it. Once it’s sliced into steak-sized pieces, you can quickly sear it in a hot pan to caramelize the outside. Serve it hot off the stove with your favorite sauces and you’ll have a perfectly cooked piece of watermelon steak that can easily pass for any regular steak.
- Choose ripe, fresh watermelon
- Slice into steak-sized pieces
- Season with salt and pepper
- Sear in a hot pan
- Enjoy with your favorite sauces
2. Preparing the Perfect Watermelon Steak
When it comes to creating the perfect watermelon steak, there are a few things to consider. Firstly, you’ll need a ripe, juicy watermelon for the best results. When shopping for your fruit, make sure to keep an eye out for signs that it is ripe and ready to be enjoyed.
Secondly, you will need to get your hands on some good equipment. A sharp, non serrated knife is perfect for slicing the watermelon steak, while a spoon or melon baller is ideal for scooping out the flesh. If you plan to season and dress your steak, then consider investing in a food brush and a serving platter.
- Choose a ripe and juicy watermelon for the best results.
- Invest in a sharp, non serrated knife suitable for slicing the steak.
- Local up a spoon or melon baller for scooping out the flesh.
- Consider purchasing a food brush and serving platter if dressings are being used.
3. Vibrant Flavors for All Seasons
Experience the joy of flavors all year round! From crisp, juicy summer fruits to warm earthy winter spices, there’s a flavor to suit everyone’s palete no matter the season. Here are our top vibrant flavors, guaranteed to bring a delicious touch to your meals.
- Summer: Sweet berries, fresh mint and a little bit of lime are perfect to garnish your light summer salads.
- Fall: Enjoy the comforting spices of fall – cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger – to make delicious roasted vegetables.
- Winter: Cook up cozy winter meals with heavy cream, bacon and thyme.
- Spring: Brighten up your dishes with asparagus, mint, and zesty lemon.
No matter the season, these vibrant flavors will bring out the chef in you – get ready to tantalize your taste buds and delight your meals with an amazing selection of combinations!
4. Adding Fun Toppings to Watermelon Steak
Turn Your Watermelon Steak into a Work Of Art
For those with a more creative approach when it comes to their culinary presentation, watermelon steak is a playground for the imagination. Toppings like:
- fresh tropical fruit
- nuts and seeds
- a sprinkle of sea salt
- any flavorful herbs
are bound to sparkle the appetite and set your dish apart from the rest. Whether you’re going for a whimsical look or an artfully arranged plate, the only limit is your creativity.
When it comes to the finishing touches, don’t forget to think from head to toe. A few drizzles of olive oil, a swirl of balsamic glaze, or even a bit of crumbled feta cheese can all add a delightful contrast in flavor and texture. The flavors will all marry together beautifully, making for a stunning watermelon steak with all the colors of the rainbow.
5. Serving Ideas for Watermelon Steak
Grilled Watermelon Steak
Grilling brings out a smoky flavor to any food. Watermelon steak is no exception! Just pat the steak with oil, season it with your favorite spices, and cook over high heat for 3-4 minutes per side. Enjoy the sweet, smoky flavor of the watermelon steak with your favorite summer dishes.
Hearty Watermelon Steak Plate
Make a full meal with your watermelon steak! Here is how:
- Serve with a side of your favorite veggies, like grilled corn, seasoned potatoes, and asparagus for a naturally sweet and savory plate
- Add a dollop of Greek yogurt for creamy, tangy goodness
- Top it with pesto for a bright, flavorful kick
- Finish with a sprinkle of feta cheese for extra richness and texture
This hearty watermelon steak plate will make a perfect addition to any summer cookout or dinner party!
6. Unexpected Health Benefits of Watermelon Steak
When most people think of watermelon steak, they think of juicy, flavorful slices used in salads and as snacks. However, this versatile fruit may provide unexpected health benefits that may surprise you!
Fiber-Rich Food: Watermelon steak is a great source of fiber. Eating fiber helps our bodies digest meals more efficiently, reducing digestive issues and keeping us regular. Additionally, fiber helps us feel full longer, so it’s a great way to stay satiated between meals.
Good for bones and muscles: Watermelon steak contributes to healthy bones and muscles due to its rich content of calcium, magnesium, and potassium. Calcium helps build and maintain strong bones, magnesium helps create muscle contractions, and potassium helps muscles relax. Including watermelon steak in your diet is a great way to get all these important nutrients in one delicious package!
Low-Calorie Choice: Watermelon steak is also a great choice if you’re trying to watch your calorie intake. With each serving containing just 30 calories per 4 ounces, you can easily enjoy it as part of a healthy diet.
Provides Antioxidants: Watermelon steak contains plenty of antioxidants, which can help protect against cell damage and fight inflammation. This means that eating watermelon steak regularly may help reduce the risks of chronic diseases and certain health conditions.
Boosts Hydration: As if all of these benefits weren’t enough, watermelon steak is also great for keeping you hydrated. With a high water content, it’s a great natural source of hydration that’s both delicious and nutritious. Plus, watermelon steak provides electrolytes, which help you stay hydrated for longer.
Eating watermelon steak on a regular basis can help you reap these and many other health benefits. So, make sure you give this versatile fruit a try as part of your diet!
7. Tips for Finding the Best Watermelon for Steaks
Grooving to a medium-rare, juicy steak is a classic summer experience. But, it is important to focus on the quality of the accompaniment to make your experience truly memorable. This is why it is essential to source the best watermelon around when grilling up your steak.
To help get you on the right track, here are 7 essential tips to find the best melon:
- Ask your local store: Grocery stores usually carry many types of watermelons and can help provide you with the freshest around. They also often have knowledgeable staff who can help answer questions and point you in the right direction.
- Check the color: A truly ripe watermelon will have a deep, rich, vibrant red color. If you can see stripes, they should fade in and out and be most apparent near the stem.
- Give it a gentle squeeze: You want to make sure that your watermelon is not rock hard, nor should it feel overly soft. A ripe watermelon should have some give when lightly squeezed.
- Look for the field spot: A watermelon that has been ripening in the field will have a slightly yellow spot on the side. If you do not see this, it is likely that the melon has been ripening in a warehouse, which is less than ideal.
- Tap it a few times: If the watermelon is ripe, it should have a deep hollow sound when tapped with your finger. If it is overly hollow, it might be overripe.
- Check the weight: A really ripe watermelon should be heavy. Pick it up to get an idea of how much it weighs when compared to other melons of similar size.
- Smell it: If your melon smells sweet, you are in luck. A fragrant watermelon indicates that the treat is ready to be enjoyed.
By taking the time to source the right melon, you can truly elevate your grilling experience to a new level. So, get out there and find the best watermelon for your steak!
8. Exploring Creative Ways to Eat Watermelon Steak
Watermelon steak is a unique and yummy new way to enjoy the juicy sweet fruit! It’s a great recipe to get creative with, as you can add different herbs, spices, and dressings. Here are 8 creative ways to enjoy watermelon steak:
- Stir-Fried Watermelon: A quick and tasty way to cook watermelon steak, Stir-Fried Watermelon is best served with chili and garlic for an infusion of Asian flavors.
- Watermelon & Avocado Salad: Mix it up with watermelon steaks served on a bed of leafy greens, along with slices of fresh avocado, nuts, and a light vinaigrette dressing.
- Grilled Watermelon Fajitas: Great for a family dinner, this flavorful dish puts a spin on the classic TexMex fajita. Grill watermelon steak with peppers, onions, and your favorite seasonings.
- Seared Watermelon with Tomatoes: This is a simple Mediterranean-inspired side dish. Sear watermelon steak in a lightly oiled pan, and serve with freshly diced tomatoes and herbs.
With a little imagination and some tasty ingredients, you can really make the most out of your watermelon steak recipe! Whether you choose to stir-fry, grill or sear, this unique fusion of juicy sweet and savory flavors has something to delight everyone’s taste buds.
9. Diverse Recipes for a Watermelon Steak Meal
Watermelon steak has become an exciting and unique way to prepare the juicy summertime favorite. Here are some diverse recipes that you can add to your grilling rotation!
Savory Watermelon Steaks with Prosciutto
This meal is a great way to enjoy the sweet and savory combination of flavors. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 4-5 slices of watermelon, about a half-inch thick
- 4-5 slices of prosciutto
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of freshly-cracked black pepper
Grill the watermelon steaks until they are slightly charred on both sides, adding salt, pepper and olive oil to taste. Lay the prosciutto on top and continue to cook until each slice is lightly crisp. Serve with a side of seasonal veggies and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar for a delicious and elegant dinner.
Smoky Jerk Watermelon Steaks
Iconic Jamaican flavors make these grilled watermelon steaks special. Gather these ingredients:
- 4-5 slices of watermelon, about a half-inch thick
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of thyme
- 1 teaspoon of allspice
- 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of brown sugar
Mix the soy sauce, garlic powder, thyme, allspice, nutmeg, olive oil and brown sugar together to make a marinade. Marinade the watermelon steaks for at least an hour, then grill the slices for about 15 minutes. Serve with your favorite sides, a splash of lime, and a sprinkle of chopped scallions for a truly transformative summertime meal.
10. The Benefit of Eating Watermelon Steak Year-Round
Watermelon steak is one of the best, healthiest and tastiest food options that you can enjoy all year round. From summer barbecues to a midwinter snack, watermelon steak is a tasty and versatile option that is perfect for any time of the year.
- Health Benefits: Watermelon steak is rich in the antioxidant lycopene, which is known to help protect against disease. It also has a high vitamin C content, which helps keep your skin healthy and prevent colds and other infections. It’s low-calorie and contains natural sugars, making it a great snack choice.
- Flavor: Watermelon steak has a unique flavor that can be enjoyed solo or incorporated into exciting dishes. Its sweet and refreshing taste makes it a great addition to salads, sandwiches and other meals. You can even make it into a sauce and add it to your favorite dishes for an extra boost of flavor.
Thanks to its high nutrient content, watermelon steak can be enjoyed year-round for its excellent health benefits, great taste, and versatility. Whether you prefer to eat it on its own or use it as an ingredient, watermelon steak is the perfect choice for a healthy and delicious snack or meal. It may sound like a strange idea, but slicing up a watermelon and grilling it as a steak is proving to be a delicious culinary option. Whether you’re throwing a summer BBQ, searching for a vegetarian alternative to the regular steak or just looking for a unique meal to try, watermelon steak is one dish that could win you over with its flavor. So what are you waiting for? Give this delicious and unexpected meal a shot – you won’t regret it!
Hi, my name is Luke Mitchell and I am a travel blogger based in Brisbane, Australia. I am the owner and creator of Arfra.org, the best blog about everything related to traveling in Australia. I have always had a passion for exploring new places and cultures and I decided to turn that passion into a career. I started Arfra.org to share my experiences and help others plan their own adventures in Australia.
I have traveled extensively throughout Australia and have a wealth of knowledge and tips to share. From the rugged outback to the beautiful beaches, I have been there and done that. I am also always on the lookout for the latest and greatest in the travel industry, so my readers can always expect to find the latest information on everything from hotels and resorts to tours and activities.
In my blog, I cover a wide range of topics including budget travel, luxury travel, family travel, and solo travel. I also share information on the best places to eat, drink, and shop, as well as the best outdoor activities and attractions.
When I am not traveling, you can find me in Brisbane where I call home. I love the city’s laid-back atmosphere and the great food and coffee scene. I also enjoy spending time with my friends and family, and taking my dog for long walks along the river.