It’s true – now you can turn the ultimate summer snack, watermelon, into the ultimate summer steak. This tangy, juicy and savory dish is the perfect way to level up your barbecue experience and show off your creative cooking skills. Whether you’re looking for a healthier option for a summer feast or just a way to eat more watermelon in new and delicious ways, this recipe will do the trick. Let’s get cooking!
1. Introducing the Delicious “Steak” Made From Watermelon
This summer, up your BBQ game with the deliciousness of watermelon steak! Introducing a brand new way to enjoy the tropical fruit – grilled and diced just like a steak. The result—a dish that looks and tastes like a steak without any meat!
The secret to this steak is marinating the watermelon in your favorite seasonings. Start by mixing olive oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper together. Then, take your fresh watermelon cubes and give them a good coating. Throw on the grill until they are charred on both sides—or to your liking!
- Healthy: 100% vegan and free of cholesterol!
- Taste: Enjoy the unique sweetness and juicy texture of watermelon.
- Recipes: Mix it up with a variety of marinades, seasonings and sauces.
2. Unlock the Sweet and Savory Taste of Watermelon “Steak”
Watermelon “steaks” are a delicious and fun way to expand your summer menu! This surprisingly savory vegetarian dish is easy to make and sure to tantalize the taste buds.
- Preparing the “Steaks”
Cut a watermelon lengthwise and slice them into thick, steak-like slices. Don’t be afraid to get creative and try a variety of shapes and sizes! Rub the steaks with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt and top with freshly cracked pepper.
- Grilling the “Steaks”
Light the charcoal or switch on the gas grill and heat to around 375°F. Grill the steaks for two to three minutes per side until you get those beautiful char marks. Now comes the fun part!
Top the grill-marked “steaks” with herbs, slices of cheese, or your favorite spices, and enjoy the sweet and savory contrast. Planning a party? Cut the “steaks” into smaller pieces and serve as an appetizer!
3. Marinating Magic – Unlocking the Juices of the Watermelon
Watermelons provide a refreshing, juicy escape during hot summer days. But have you ever thought to marinate your watermelons for an even more delightful experience? Marinating your melon can provide extra sweetness and a unique flavor profile you may not have tasted before.
To get started, gather your favorite marinade ingredients, a large bowl and a watermelon. Start by washing the watermelon with a mild detergent. Cut the watermelon into cubes and soak them in the marinade. It works best when the cubes are completely submerged. Let the watermelon soak for about 4 hours.
- Choose Your Marinade – Select a flavor profile you enjoy. Oriental-style teriyaki or fruity vinaigrette dressings work great. Consider adding a few herbs, spices or even a sprinkle of sugar.
- Taste Test – As you marinate, try tasting a cube every hour or so to gauge the flavor. If it’s too tart, consider adding a pinch more sugar or a splash of juice.
- Chill Out – Once the marinating is finished, the cubes need to be cooled in the refrigerator for at least a couple of hours. When it’s time to serve, you have a sweet, tasty snack that’s sure to impress!
4. Cooking Your Watermelon “Steak” to Perfection
So you want a unique culinary experience that’ll have everyone talking? It’s time to try cooking a watermelon steak! With the right combination of spices, a sharp knife, and a hot grill, you can create a savory steak that’s sure to impress.
- Cut your watermelon into four equal wedges. You can also use a melon-baller for a more creative presentation.
- Lightly sprinkle with your favorite steaks spices. Some ideas include paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and sea salt.
- Fire up the grill and carefully lay your wedges onto it. Grill for about 5 minutes on each side, until golden marks appear.
- Remove from grill and sprinkle with some crumbled feta and chives for a burst of flavor.
Now the hard work is done and you can enjoy your delicious watermelon steak. Serve with a mound of fresh greens, a dollop of tahini, and a glass of your favorite rosé and you have the perfect summer meal.
5. Spice Up Your Plate with Watermelon “Steak”
Watermelon steak is a surprisingly delightful treat that can be enjoyed at any time of year. It is an easy and delicious way to spruce up your plate with a little something extra and a lot of fun!
To prepare a watermelon steak, slice up a seedless watermelon into 1-inch thick pieces, brush with a little olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and place on a hot grill for about 3 minutes per side. You’ll be rewarded with a juicy, succulent steak with a bit of smoky char. Here are a few more ideas to get your creative juices flowing:
- Top with a peanut sauce – Combine freshly chopped peanuts, honey, garlic, and lime juice with a bit of oil or butter for an extra smooth and nutty flavor.
- Sprinkle with feta cheese – Add a salty and tangy creamy indulgence to your steak.
- Drizzle with balsamic reduction – A touch of balsamic vinegar and sugar can give your steak an exciting sweet-tangy flavor.
There are countless ways to spruce up your plate with watermelon steak. Whether you choose to dress it up with a savory sauce or a sweet glaze, it’s sure to be a hit on your plate.
6. The Health Benefits of Eating Watermelon “Steak”
Watermelon steak is a delicious, healthy way to enjoy the natural sweetness of watermelon in a savoury way. Not only is it a unique and delicious meal, it is also packed with essential nutrients and vitamins for a balanced diet. Here are some of the amazing health benefits of eating watermelon steak:
- Full of antioxidants – One of the most powerful antioxidants, lycopene, is found in high concentrations in watermelon. This can help to reduce oxidative damage caused by free radicals while promoting a healthy immune system.
- Good source of Vitamin C – Watermelon can provide you with plenty of vitamin C, which helps to maintain a healthy immune system, gives your skin a healthy glow and can even help with stress relief.
- High in Potassium – Watermelon is rich in potassium which is important for proper muscle and nerve functioning, balanced blood pressure levels, and just general vitality.
In addition to these health benefits, watermelon steak is an incredibly easy meal to make. Simply slice the watermelon into thick slabs, gently pan-fry for a few minutes and the steak is ready to enjoy. A delightful and nutritious meal, the perfect way to nourish your body and your taste buds.
7. Tips and Tricks for Preparing Watermelon “Steak”
In the summer, there is no better fruit to enjoy than watermelon. It’s incredibly refreshing, filled with nutrients, and can be enjoyed in a variety of ways. One delicious way to enjoy watermelon is to make watermelon steak. Here are some tips and tricks to help make the perfect watermelon steak.
- Pick a ripe watermelon: Intense sweet and juicy watermelon are what you’re aiming for. Look for a watermelon that has a bright yellow spot on the underside of the melon, indicating that it’s ripe.
- Slice the melon evenly: Determine how thick you want your steak and slice evenly with a sharp knife. Your steak should be firm but still juicy.
- Be generous with seasoning:To make a delicious and flavorful watermelon steak, make sure to season generously with salt, pepper, or other favorite herbs and spices.
Now that you have the perfect watermelon steak, all that is left is to enjoy! Toast it on a grill, pan fry, or enjoy it cold. Time to get creative! Don’t forget to use any extra melon to craft a refreshing watermelon cooler.
8. Ways to Reheat and Reuse Leftover Watermelon “Steak”
1. Watermelon steak stir fry: Bring the leftovers back to life by adding some ingredients for a quick and flavor-packed stir fry. Start by heating some oil in a wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers, onion, garlic, and your favorite vegetables. When the vegetables begin to soften, add the watermelon steak pieces to the pan. Toss the vegetables to combine, and season with salt, pepper, and your favorite stir-fry sauces or seasoning. Cook for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender and the watermelon steak is heated through.
2. Watermelon steak sandwich: To give your watermelon steak a new identity, try a creative sandwich. Begin by toasting two slices of bread and spreading a thin layer of mayonnaise or your favorite vegan-friendly condiment over the slices. Layer on some crispy lettuce and thinly-sliced onion. Top with leftover watermelon steak pieces and some spicy mustard or sweet jam. For more texture and flavor, add sliced tomatoes, pickles, or avocado.
9. Creative Ideas for Serving Watermelon “Steak”
Watermelon Steak is a great alternative to traditional meat steaks if you’re looking for an interesting and creative way to prepare watermelon.
These unique “steaks” can be served in a variety of ways. Here are 9 :
- Cut your watermelon into “steaks” and grill over medium heat for a smoky, caramelized flavor. Serve with lightly dressed greens.
- Bake watermelon steaks in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes, creating a texture that resembles several other grilled dishes.
- Slice delicate “steaks”, season with fresh seasonings such as herbs, pepper, or honey and grill over medium heat. Serve with a side salad.
- Make a beautiful presentation of watermelon steak: layer the steaks and alternate with a simple slaw, prepared with a light vinaigrette.
- Baste watermelon steak with a sweet and savory glaze and roast in the oven for 20 minutes. Serve with a dollop of creamy yogurt sauce.
- Carry the steaks into uncharted territory with a spicy twist: cut “steaks” into thick slices, coat with a paste of ginger, garlic, and sambal oelek, and grill. Serve with Asian-inspired sides.
- Marinate the “steaks” in a simple lime and olive oil mixture, and grill until tender. Serve with an avocado salsa.
- Assemble a watermelon steak salad: layer cooked watermelon and fresh greens, chickpeas and crunchy vegetables, and drizzle with a light balsamic dressing.
- For a light and refreshing option, freeze watermelon steaks and serve with a bright sorbet. Garnish with fresh mint leaves.
No matter your preference, there is a creative recipe to suit it. From baking to grilling and marinating to freezing, the possibilities are endless with watermelon steak. Bon appetit!
10. Delicious Recipes Using Watermelon “Steak
Are you in need of something that’s a bit of sweet, a bit of savory, and totally unique? Look no further than watermelon steak! If you’re feeling ambitious in the kitchen, you’ll want to give this unusual fruit a try in a variety of delicious recipes.
Delicious watermelon steaks can instantly add a fun twist to any meal. Here are some recipes that are sure to tantalize your taste buds:
- Grilled Watermelon Steak with Feta: Put a spin on the classic pairing of feta and watermelon with this recipe. Slice up a watermelon steak and toss it on the grill for a few minutes. Finish it off with feta, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper!
- Watermelon Steak Salad: Slice some watermelon steak and toss it with red onion and fresh veggies like cherry tomatoes and cucumber. Top it off with a light vinaigrette and enjoy the flavors of summer!
- Watermelon Steak and Avocado Toast: Make avocado toast even better by adding a few slices of grilled or pan-seared watermelon steak. The combination of salty and sweet will have you reaching for more!
The possibilities are endless when it comes to adding watermelon steak to your favorite dishes. Whether you’re looking for a fun side dish, a unique salad, or something else, you won’t be disappointed!
So there you have it! With a little bit of skill and knowledge, you can turn this summer favorite into an amazing alternative to steak. Transform your watermelon into an impressive dish that will tantalize your taste buds and impress your family and friends. Bon appetit!
Hi, my name is Luke Mitchell and I am a travel blogger based in Brisbane, Australia. I am the owner and creator of Arfra.org, the best blog about everything related to traveling in Australia. I have always had a passion for exploring new places and cultures and I decided to turn that passion into a career. I started Arfra.org to share my experiences and help others plan their own adventures in Australia.
I have traveled extensively throughout Australia and have a wealth of knowledge and tips to share. From the rugged outback to the beautiful beaches, I have been there and done that. I am also always on the lookout for the latest and greatest in the travel industry, so my readers can always expect to find the latest information on everything from hotels and resorts to tours and activities.
In my blog, I cover a wide range of topics including budget travel, luxury travel, family travel, and solo travel. I also share information on the best places to eat, drink, and shop, as well as the best outdoor activities and attractions.
When I am not traveling, you can find me in Brisbane where I call home. I love the city’s laid-back atmosphere and the great food and coffee scene. I also enjoy spending time with my friends and family, and taking my dog for long walks along the river.