If you thought you’d seen it all when it comes to watermelon, think again! It’s time to ditch the classic watermelon slices and dive into the latest trend: watermelon steak! This witty take on the classic summertime favorite is the talk of the town and has everyone intrigued. Prepare to make your mouth water as we dive into this trendy new way of enjoying this summertime favorite.
1) A Delicious Alternative: Watermelon Steak Gives Us Something New to Chew On
The Difference Between Watermelon and Most Meats is Clear
We’ve all been there, looking for a healthy, alternate protein source to the same tired steaks and burgers that grace our plates with regularity. To break away from the classic, enter watermelon steak. Yes, watermelon steak is a great way to give meat-lovers something new to chew on, even toy omnivores. Watermelon steak is grilled and seared, just like a regular steak, achieving a similar char and savory flavor. But the difference between it and most meats is clear.
The Benefits of Watermelon Steak are Plentiful
Watermelon steak has several nutritious upsides, providing us with a no-guilt entree. Snacking on watermelon steak is an inexpensive way to up your daily intake of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. It boasts a trio of carotenoids, plus a hefty dose of vitamin C, and some dietary fiber to boot. Watermelon steak is naturally fat-free, and its low-cal count makes it a great choice for anyone trying to maintain or lose weight. Feasting on watermelon steak also comes without the added cholesterol. That makes it a healthier, guilt-free alternative to beef steak.
- Savory flavor without the guilt
- Loaded with carotenoids, vitamin C, and dietary fiber
- Naturally fat-free
- Lower-calorie and cholesterol-free too
2) From Slices to Steaks: Creative Ways to Prepare Watermelon for Your Table
Salads, Smoothies & Salsas
Watermelon’s ultra-refreshing flavour makes it a great add-in for any summer salad. Dice it up, sprinkle a touch of salt, and toss with greens and a tangy vinaigrette. Or, combine it with other fruits, like kiwi, peaches and feta, for a juicy and vibrant fruit salad. Also, it doesn’t get much easier than throwing watermelon cubes into a blender with some plain yogurt and liquid of choice (milk, orange juice, etc.) for a delicious smoothie. Lastly, experiment with an exotic twist to your usual salsa. Mix it with tomatoes, onions and jalapenos and a hint of lime juice to hit all the right flavour notes!
Not just for snacking or sides, watermelon’s rich and juicy texture can help create some memorable main dishes. Experiment with fun things like watermelon sushi wrapped with sashimi, pickling it for a sweet and savoury appetizer, or combine it with grilled steak and feta for a beautiful dinner plate. Have you ever heard of grilled watermelon steaks? Slice it into thick steaks, season with your favourite herbs and spices, and throw it on a hot grill pan. Serve with some mashed potatoes or sweet potatoes for a delightful dinner.
3) What to Know Before You Take On Watermelon Steak
Watermelon steak is a healthy and delicious summer grilling option. Before taking on this tasty treat, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Cutting: You need to be strategic when cutting the watermelon into steaks. Start by cutting your melon in half, then cut into thick slices. The goal is for all the slices to be even so that you get a consistent grill.
- Grilling: A slow-medium heat is best for grilling watermelon steak. You’ll want to try to avoid the temptation of turning the heat up, as this will just cause the steaks to dry out and lose their juiciness.
- Seasoning: Once your watermelon steaks are fully cooked, you can season them however you’d like, be it with sea salt, balsamic reduction, or fresh herbs.
By following the tips above when grilling watermelon steak, you’ll be sure to enjoy a fantastic summery dish that’s equal parts tasty and healthy. So take it on, and you won’t be disappointed.
4) Choosing the Best Watermelon Variety for Steaks
If you’re looking to take your steak game up a notch, adding watermelon could be the perfect way to do it. You don’t want to go with just any watermelon, however. Here are some of the best watermelon varieties for steaks.
- Yellow Crimson: This sweet and juicy variety has a deep yellow flesh. It is great for steaks because it adds a much-needed sweetness and moisture to the dish.
- Moon and Stars: This unique variety is easily identifiable by its light green rind covered with yellow spots. Although it’s not always easy to find, its sweet, bright-red flesh enhances the flavor of steaks.
- Sugar Baby: As the name suggests, the Sugar Baby is a great choice for those looking for a sweeter watermelon. Its small size makes it easier to dry-roast or grill. Plus, its deep-red flesh has enough sweetness to make a steak stand out.
Now that you know the best watermelon varieties for steaks, you can start experimenting and creating unique gourmet steak recipes. To make sure you get the best out of the dish, opt for ripe pieces of watermelon and properly pair them with your steak of choice.
5) A Few Tips for Prepping & Cooking Watermelon Steaks
Watermelon is one of the most refreshing fruits you can have on a hot day. But what about when it’s time to cook watermelon? You can always make the classic watermelon salad, but why not get a little creative and make some watermelon steaks? Here are a few tips to get you started.
- Choose Your Watermelon Wisely: Make sure your watermelon is ripe – it should be firm but not too hard. A sweet, juicy melon will make the tastiest steaks.
- Cut Into Steaks: Slice your watermelon in ½” thick circles. Cut the slices into steaks for a more appealing presentation.
Once you’re done slicing, you have a few options for how to season and cook your watermelon. If you’re feeling brave, why not try grilling the steaks? Brush the steaks with a little oil and season with salt and pepper. 5 minutes on each side should be enough to give it that delicious char flavor.
- Keep it Simple: Alternatively, if you’re looking for something a little less ambitious, keep it simple and season your steaks with a little olive oil and lime juice.
So next time it’s time to cook melon, you know what to do with your watermelon! Try these tips and make some summer-refreshing watermelon steaks.
6) Spice & Salt: How to Season Your Watermelon Steaks for Maximum Flavor
Step Up Your Steak Game
Watermelon steaks are already a treat with their juicy, flavorful taste, but you can make them even more amazing by adding just the right blend of spices and salts. Here’s what you need to know to season your watermelon steaks for maximum flavor:
- Sea Salt – Use a coarse sea salt with large flakes for an added crunch.
- Himalayan Pink Salt – With its subtle sweetness, this salt is great for adding a slight balance to the other flavors.
- Smoked Salt – A useful tool for taking your watermelon steak to the next level. The smoky flavor really kicks your steak up a notch.
- Coriander – The perfect addition to any steak, coriander works especially great with watermelon to provide a warm, citrusy flavor.
- Cumin – With its smoky, earthy taste, cumin provides just the right kick to your steak.
- Chili Powder – Spice up your watermelon steak with a lovely chili powder. A sprinkle of this stuff adds a flavor pop that’s hard to beat.
So amp up your watermelon steak game with the best salts and spices. With these added, your steak will reach mouth-watering levels of deliciousness. Enjoy!
7) Beyond Steaks: New Ideas for Serving Up Watermelon
Almost everyone loves watermelon. It’s so juicy, so sweet and it feels so good to eat on a hot summer day. But why not switch up your regular plate of steak and potatoes for a more creative, delicious watermelon dish? Here are some ideas.
- Salad: If you love salads, then you’ll love this one. Combine diced watermelon with cucumbers, tomatoes and feta for a light and refreshing salad that is sure to be a hit.
- Ceviche: This Latin American specialty is a mix of seafood, marinated with citrus juice and spicy tomato sauce, and diced watermelon makes the perfect addition.
- Sandwich: Move over tomatoes and lettuce. Put a slice of watermelon layer between lightly toasted wheat bread, with a helping of cream cheese and a spoonful of honey, and you’ve got yourself a sensational sandwich.
- Fruit Pizza: Top a pre-made pizza crust with cream cheese or yogurt, sliced watermelon and some fresh mint leaves, for a unique and tasty dish that’s sure to surprise.
With just a few simple ingredients, you can transform watermelon from a simple snack into a delicious meal. So don’t be afraid to switch up your routine and get creative with this juicy summer fruit.
8) Is Watermelon Steak Healthier Than Eating It as a Fruit?
Watermelon steak is definitely a healthier option than eating it as a fruit. Its thick and juicy slices are a great substitute for steak, as they can provide a good amount of nutrients and vitamins without being overly rich in calories. Plus, they’re incredibly versatile and can be served as a side dish, as an entrée, or even as a protein-packed snack.
Benefits of Eating Watermelon Steak
- High in antioxidants and fiber to nourish your body
- Good source of vitamins A and C for better immunity and skin health
- Low in calories with no saturated fat or added sugar for a guilt-free treat
- A great source of essential minerals such as potassium and magnesium
Watermelon steak is a healthy, delicious alternative to traditional steak. It’s an excellent way to enjoy the flavor of watermelon without worrying about the detrimental effects of too much fat or sugar. Plus, its nutritional benefits make it an easy choice for a healthier and light meal.
9) Beyond the Grill: Other Ways to Cook Watermelon Steak
Creative chefs know that the possibilities are endless when it comes to grilling, and watermelon steak is no exception. Steak made from watermelon can be applied to all sorts of interesting cooking techniques in the kitchen that can elevate a traditional summer dish.
Here are some inventive ways to cook watermelon steak:
- Pan Frying: Create a crusty, golden outside with a juicy center by pan-frying the steak in oil. Fry for a few minutes each side, being careful not to let the sugar from the watermelon create too much char.
- Sautéing: Sauté it in a small amount of butter to create crispy edges and a soft center. Try out recipes for sautéed steak with fresh herbs, garlic, and parmesan for an extra kick.
- Stir Frying: The quickness of a stir fry is an ideal match for the brief cooking time of the steak. Try slicing it thin, sautéing it in oil and seasonings, and adding it to a mix of your favorite vegetables.
- Grilling in Foil Packets: Seal the steak in a parchment or foil packet with lemon and herbs to keep in all the flavor as it grills. The packet crisps up the edges and makes for a juicy, succulent steak.
These techniques are great for creating a unique flavor profile for an old summer favorite. Experiment with different seasonings, herbs and sauces to create a delicious and noteworthy dish!
10) The Watermelon Craze: More Places to Try Watermelon Steak Around the World
The unique flavor of watermelon steak is sweeping across Japan – and it’s no wonder why; the combination of savory seasoning and the sweet flavor of melon is quickly becoming a popular summer delicacy. Restaurants across Japan are now hosting watermelon steak nights, and often serving the steak with a sprinkling of sesame oil, pickled ginger and shichimi, a chili-seaweed blend.
For a twist on this juicy delicacy, you need to head to Portugal. The country’s watermelon steak is often cut slightly thicker than usual, so the distinction between the savory seasoning and sweet melon is even more pronounced. It’s then cooked on the griddle and served alongside a number of traditional sides, including garlic-infused kale and char-grilled octopus. Diners can enjoy the dish either as a side or as a meal itself. It’s certainly an experience that shouldn’t be missed! Move over burgers, this seasonal melon is surely the life of the party! Whether you like it cut into slices, chunks, or thick steak-like slabs, adding watermelon to your cookout is sure to make a splash. So, fire up those grills and don’t forget to invite watermelon steaks to your summer barbecue!
Hi, my name is Luke Mitchell and I am a travel blogger based in Brisbane, Australia. I am the owner and creator of Arfra.org, the best blog about everything related to traveling in Australia. I have always had a passion for exploring new places and cultures and I decided to turn that passion into a career. I started Arfra.org to share my experiences and help others plan their own adventures in Australia.
I have traveled extensively throughout Australia and have a wealth of knowledge and tips to share. From the rugged outback to the beautiful beaches, I have been there and done that. I am also always on the lookout for the latest and greatest in the travel industry, so my readers can always expect to find the latest information on everything from hotels and resorts to tours and activities.
In my blog, I cover a wide range of topics including budget travel, luxury travel, family travel, and solo travel. I also share information on the best places to eat, drink, and shop, as well as the best outdoor activities and attractions.
When I am not traveling, you can find me in Brisbane where I call home. I love the city’s laid-back atmosphere and the great food and coffee scene. I also enjoy spending time with my friends and family, and taking my dog for long walks along the river.