As the summer heat bears down, nothing can quite help you cool off like a refreshing slice of juicy watermelon. But this summer, why not give that classic summer favorite a unique twist? Introducing ‘Tasty Watermelon Steak’, an easy-to-make and delicious dish that is sure to be a hit at your next outdoor gathering. With a sweet and salty flavour profile, crisp texture and vibrant colour, this dish will sure be a show-stopper at your summer BBQs!
1. Get Ready for Summer with Tasty Watermelon Steak!
Summer should never be complete without the taste of watermelon steak. Get ready to satisfy your taste buds with an easy-to-prepare, sweet and savory dish. All it takes is a few simple steps and you’ll have a delectable meal ready to enjoy.
To start, you’ll need a ripe watermelon to get the best out of this dish. Cut the melon into two-inch thick steaks, and discard the excess rind. Then, heat a large skillet on medium-high heat, and add oil. Place the steaks into the skillet and cook until both sides are lightly seared. Finally, create a flavorful glaze and add to the steaks. Try a combination of soy sauce, honey, and garlic, then finish off with a sprinkle of sesame seeds for extra crunch.
- Choose a ripe watermelon
- Cut into 2-inch steaks
- Heat oil in a large skillet
- Cook steaks until both sides are lightly seared
- Make a flavorful glaze
- Add soy sauce, honey, and garlic
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds
Enjoy a quick and delicious summer meal – watermelon steak!
2. A Whole New Way to Enjoy Watermelon
Sometimes, the same old way of eating watermelon can get a bit boring. Spice things up with these unique and delicious ways to enjoy this tasty fruit.
- Watermelon Sweet and Sour Sauce: Chop up some fresh watermelon and add it to a sweet and sour sauce. Serve it over grilled chicken or fish for a unique and flavorful meal.
- Watermelon Fruitsicles: Cut watermelon into cubes and put them in lolly molds, then freeze for a healthy and fun frozen treat. Especially great for a hot summer day!
If you’re feeling more creative, try making a delicious watermelon pasta salad. It’s so simple to do and looks amazing on a plate. All you need is cooked pasta, diced watermelon, diced cucumbers, tomatoes, red onions, and some feta cheese. Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and top with some freshly chopped parsley for an absolute taste sensation!
No matter how you choose to enjoy watermelon, it’s sure to satisfy your tastebuds and make for a refreshing snack or dessert. And, of course, it’s packed with essential vitamins and minerals, which makes it a much healthier option than other sugary treats. Why not try experimenting in the kitchen and create your own unique watermelon recipes? It’s a great way to add a new twist to the classic fruit.
3. The Many Benefits of Eating Watermelon Steak
When we hear the word steak, something incredibly juicy and usually made of beef, usually comes to mind. But adding a twist on this classic meat dish results in a dish that is surprisingly healthy and crunchy-sweet. Watermelon Steak is exactly that – watermelon that is cut especially for grilling, searing and slicing.
The list of nutrients and vitamins held within watermelons is long and includes (but is not limited to):
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin C
These vitamins have various benefits from improving heart health, reducing after-meal sugars, and enhancing joint health.
In addition to being a healthy vegetarian option, watermelon steak tastes great! Its juiciness and natural sweetness make a good contrast when making the classic steak marinade. Fresh herbs and spices like rosemary and paprika bring another layer of flavor to the dish.
What’s more? Watermelon steak is a great option for outdoor summer grilling. Its juicy texture and vibrant color looks great as a center piece for family barbecues.
Eating watermelon steak is an easy and delicious way to enjoy the many nutrients and vitamins of this fruit.
4. Healthy Alternatives to Barbecue Steak
Grill With Healthier Options
Barbecue steak is a classic, summertime favorite. But sometimes, you don’t want to eat steak during grilling season. Luckily, there are many that you can throw on the grill. Here are some of the top choices:
- Grilled Vegetables – Filled with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, many different grilled veggies make for a delicious side or main dish. Popular choices include eggplant, zucchini, mushrooms, peppers, sweet potatoes, onions, and asparagus.
- Grilled Seafood – A lean source of protein, healthy fats, and important vitamins and minerals, grilled seafood is a great alternative to barbecue steak. Popular fish choices include salmon, cod, catfish, and mahi-mahi. For shellfish, try shrimp or scallops.
Swap the Side Dishes
If you are cooking up barbecue steak, chances are you are cooking up some side dishes too. Try swapping the usual side dishes for healthier options. Instead of mashed potatoes, try mashed cauliflower. Instead of fries, try loaded sweet potatoes. Other great options include roasted Brussels sprouts, grilled corn, and a quinoa salad.
5. How to Make Tasty Watermelon Steak at Home
- 2 Slices of watermelon, 1-inch thick
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: lemon zest and other herbs and spices
Tantalize your taste buds with the juicy flavor of watermelon steak. Here’s how to make it in your own kitchen with a few simple ingredients.
Start by preheating oven to 350°F. Slice the watermelon into 1-inch thick rectangular pieces, big enough to serve as 2 steak-sized portions. Place the watermelon slices on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush olive oil onto each slice and then generously sprinkle salt and pepper. Add lemon zest and other herbs and spices if desired. Bake the watermelon for 10-15 minutes until slightly tender and a bit charred.
Serve it as an appetizer or an entrée with your favorite side dishes. Enjoy a refreshing and healthy summer meal!
6. Tricks to Enhance the Flavor of Watermelon Steak
Are you trying to serve up something more creative than plain old watermelon? Whether you’re prepping for a summer BBQ or trying to impress your friends with a cohesive watermelon-centric meal, steak is a great way to showcase the summertime flavor! Here are 6 tricks to make your watermelon steak the star of the show:
- Soy-Ginger Marinade: Try marinating your steak for an hour in a mixture of soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and a dash of sesame oil for an extra dose of umami.
- Heat It Up: To elevate the flavor, try cooking your steak over a charcoal or gas grill. If grilling isn’t your thing, watermelon steak can be roasted in the oven.
- Come On, Get Saucy: For a hint of sweetness, create your own glaze by stirring together honey, chili paste, garlic, and lime juice.
- Fruit Ideas: Add a depth of flavor by slicing peaches, mangoes, or oranges and arranging them around your cut of watermelon steak. Grill the fruit so it caramelizes and enhances the presentation.
- Smoke It: For something truly unique, add some wood chips to your charcoal or gas grill and create a smoky flavor profile.
- Delicious Toppings: Adding creamy, rich toppings such as crispy bacon, goat cheese, pesto, or balsamic glaze will provide your steak with a boost of flavor.
The combinations are endless when working with a versatile ingredient like watermelon steak and the techniques you learn will transcend beyond the cooking board. Try one or all of these tricks to make your watermelon steak a hit!
7. Creative Serving Ideas for Watermelon Steak
Mojito-Inspired Watermelon Steak
Take your taste buds on a tropical vacation with a mojito-inspired watermelon steak! Start by seasoning your watermelon steak with a combination of lime juice and brown sugar. Once cooked, top it off with a homemade mint-lime sauce. The great thing about this dish is that you can adjust the ingredients to make it as tangy or sweet as you prefer.
On the Grill Watermelon Steak
If you have a backyard grill, you’re only a few steps away from having a smoky, flavorful watermelon steak. Start by prepping the watermelon steak with oil, salt and pepper. Grill until the steak is nice and caramelized. Serve with a side of corn dusted in chili-lime seasoning and some grilled peppers. Enjoy!
- Pan-fried watermelon steak with onion and garlic
- Watermelon steak topped with blue cheese
- Coconut-crusted watermelon steak with mango salsa
- Watermelon steak skewers with balsamic glaze
8. The Perfect Combination of Sweet and Savory
Sometimes something special can come from a combination of the best of two contrasting flavors. Sweet and savory pairings like the classic combination of ham and pineapple, or even the much-loved bacon and maple syrup, are always sure to tantalize the senses. Combining these two flavors can not only create something truly unique, but also something utterly delicious.
From sugary-salty caramel to candied garlic, savory-sweet recipes allow us to show off our culinary creativity. Don’t be afraid to go beyond the “tried and true” classics and create something new! We suggest:
- Fried Plantains with Honey and Sea Salt – This simple yet delicious dish is perfect as a snack, side dish, or as a topping to your favorite salad.
- Maple Mustard Chicken – A sweet and tangy marinade created with maple syrup, Dijon mustard and fresh rosemary makes for a succulent and flavorful entree.
- Honey Glazed Roasted Vegetables – Nothing beats roasted vegetables glazed with honey, topped with a sprinkle of sea salt. Perfect as a tasty side dish.
So go ahead, blend the sweet and savory, the salty and sugary, because you never know what you will come up with. Just make sure you write it down, so you can recreate it!
9. The Easy Way to Grill Watermelon Steak
If you love juicy fruit combined with a smoky flavour, then grilled watermelon steak is just the thing for you! It’s surprisingly easy to create, and has a nutritious spin due to the fibres, vitamins and minerals in the watermelon. Here’s a quick guide on how to fire up that grill!
Firstly, select a good watermelon. Find one with deep green rinds and a yellowish spot on their underside, which should be a good indication that the watermelon is ripe. Cut into thick, rectangular pieces, around 1 inch thick and 4 inches long. Tease out some citrus flavour by rubbing lemon, lime or grapefruit juice on top.
- Create an Aromatic Rub: Mix together some spices, such as paprika and cumin, with olive oil to create an aromatic rub. Then pat this on the steak’s flesh, both sides.
- Light the Grill: Light a gas or charcoal grill, preheat it, and brush the grates with oil to avoid sticking.
- Put the Steak on the Grill: Turn your steak over onto the grill, and cook for around 5 to 7 minutes, making sure to keep flipping them so they cook evenly.
- Add Some Flavour: To get an extra smoky flavour, check if your grill has a built-in smoker box. Place some wood chips into it, and let the smoke engulf your steak for a few minutes.
And you’re done! Enjoy the unique combination of sweet, smoky and juicy – it’ll certainly become one of your BBQ staples. Experiment with some extra toppings, such as a sprinkle of mint, or some honey and sea salt. Have a go at making your own grilled watermelon steak today!
10. Celebrate Summer with Tasty Watermelon Steak!
Summer is here and the first thing that comes to mind is a juicy, sweet watermelon steak. This delectable dish is perfect for a relaxed family brunch, or a quick and healthy lunch.
Here’s a simple three-step recipe to make the perfect watermelon steak:
- Step 1: Select a ripe, fresh watermelon that is free of bruises and cracks.
- Step 2: Slice the watermelon into steaks that are roughly 1 inch thick.
- Step 3: Heat a skillet over medium heat and cook the watermelon steak on each side for 3-4 minutes until it becomes slightly caramelized.
Sprinkle the cooked steak with sea salt and your favorite herbs, and serve with grilled vegetables, ricotta cheese, and a traditional Italian salad for a wholesome and delicious summer meal.
Watermelon steak may be a unique and unconventional summer treat, but it’s one that’s sure to be a hit with guests. With its refreshing and juicy flavor, you won’t be able to resist its delectable taste. It’s time to get creative with your summer meals and give your family and friends the ultimate culinary experience – try making watermelon steaks today.
Hi, my name is Luke Mitchell and I am a travel blogger based in Brisbane, Australia. I am the owner and creator of Arfra.org, the best blog about everything related to traveling in Australia. I have always had a passion for exploring new places and cultures and I decided to turn that passion into a career. I started Arfra.org to share my experiences and help others plan their own adventures in Australia.
I have traveled extensively throughout Australia and have a wealth of knowledge and tips to share. From the rugged outback to the beautiful beaches, I have been there and done that. I am also always on the lookout for the latest and greatest in the travel industry, so my readers can always expect to find the latest information on everything from hotels and resorts to tours and activities.
In my blog, I cover a wide range of topics including budget travel, luxury travel, family travel, and solo travel. I also share information on the best places to eat, drink, and shop, as well as the best outdoor activities and attractions.
When I am not traveling, you can find me in Brisbane where I call home. I love the city’s laid-back atmosphere and the great food and coffee scene. I also enjoy spending time with my friends and family, and taking my dog for long walks along the river.