Ah, summertime – the season of endless picnics and barbecues, and the perfect time to whip up some of the most scrumptious recipes. There’s nothing quite like the taste of a sweet and juicy watermelon, and we’ve got the perfect recipe for you to make and enjoy – watermelon steak! Get your taste buds ready and your knives sharpened – we’re slicing up summer!
1. Get Ready For Summer: Slice Into some Watermelon Steak
If you’re looking for a way to beat the summer heat, then a juicy slice of watermelon steak is almost a certainty. Sweet and succulent, watermelon steak offers a fun and flavorful twist to your standard summertime treat.
When it comes to recipes, there’s no shortage of options. You can enjoy your watermelon steak raw, or create a showstopper of a dish with a few simple ingredients. Here are a few ideas to get started:
- Sprinkle your watermelon steak with a dash of sea salt and black pepper for a spicy-sweet contrast.
- Marinate in a garlic-infused olive oil to bring out the melon’s sweetness.
- Mix it into a salad with crumbled feta and diced avocado.
- Toss in olive oil, slivered almonds and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
For a truly extraordinary finish, try charring your steaks over hot coals or in a skillet to caramelize the fruit’s natural sugars. No matter how you prepare it, you’ll be sure to relish every bite!
2. Reasons To Try Watermelon Steak This Season
1. Health Benefits:
Watermelon steak, a trendy fruit-based alternative to traditional steak, is a delicious, summery way to enjoy the health benefits of watermelon. Rich in vitamins and minerals, such as potassium, magnesium and vitamins A, B6 and C, this sweet, juicy fruit contains a wealth of nutrients not found in beef. Plus, since watermelon steak is low in calories and fat, it’s a great way to stay healthy during the summer months.
2. Variety of Recipes:
Watermelon steak can be enjoyed in a variety of ways. Whether you’re a fan of grilling or sizzling, you can cook watermelon steak in the same way as you would cook beef. Instead of marinating with soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and oil, however, you can choose to mix up a citrus marinade with orange juice, lime juice and spices like oregano and coriander for an added kick.
For a unique twist, try dusting your watermelon steak with Italian herbs and spices, then pair them up with some grilled vegetables for an exciting and flavorful meal. The possibilities are virtually endless!
3. A Refreshing Change: From Burgers to the Goodness of Watermelon
Summer will soon be in full swing and along with it, some delightful fruits that bring in a sense of refreshment. Watermelon is one of those summer treats that never fails to hurry up the arrival of summer. Loaded with nutrients, it is one of the best snacks for health-conscious eaters.
This small, juicy fruit is versatile and can be consumed in many different forms. Here are some of the benefits that this delicious fruit has to offer:
- Hydration: Watermelon consists of 92% water and this makes it an excellent thirst-quenching fruit.
- Vitamins: It is rich in Vitamin A and Vitamin C, providing a boost of energy to the body.
- Fiber: It is a great source of dietary fiber and helps in regulating the digestion process.
- Folic Acid: This helps in controlling cholesterol levels in the body.
Watermelon is a snack that can be enjoyed in its pure form or used as an ingredient for dishes. Its fleshy texture and naturally sweet flavour enhance the overall taste of a dish and make it a healthier option as compared to burgers and other fast foods. So, if anyone is looking for a refreshing snack, do give watermelon a try!
4. Get Creative in the Kitchen: Step-by-Step Guide to Making Watermelon Steak
Grilling isn’t always just burgers and hotdogs! With a little creativity, you can expand your grill skills to include all sorts of salads and delicious dishes. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to create an unusual and unique side dish – watermelon steak!
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
- Cut a ¾-1 inch thick slice of watermelon.
- Brush the watermelon steak with a light layer of olive oil.
Time to Grill! Place the watermelon steak onto the hot grill and let cook for about 4 minutes per side. You’ll know it’s done when the edges become slightly charred and caramelized. Serve this impressive and delicious steak with your favorite summer sides for the perfect warm-weather meal!
5. Health Benefits to Enjoy: What Watermelon Steaks Bring to the Picnic Table
Nutrition and Hydration
Watermelon steaks are a nutritious addition to any meal or snack. Packed with vitamins A and C, they offer essential antioxidants and phytonutrients. They’re also low in calories and sodium, offering delicious refreshment without a whole lot of calories. For those looking to stay hydrated and get the essential benefit of vitamins and minerals, these watermelon wedges make a great choice.
Goodness for the Skin and Brain
The goodness in watermelon doesn’t just stop at basic nutrition. These refreshing slices are packed with powerful nutrition to give us a natural boost in the brain and skin department. Watermelon steaks are high in lycopene and beta-carotene, two powerful antioxidants that can help reduce inflammation and improve the skin’s natural glow. They’re also packed with amino acids, which can promote better cognitive function. All these benefits can help you stay alert and refreshed, even during periods of intense heat.
Put some watermelon steak on the picnic table, and you’ll get a delicious and nourishing snack with plenty of health benefits too!
6. Marinating Magic: Spicing Up Watermelon Steaks
If you’re looking for a tasty way to elevate your summer BBQ this year, look no further than watermelon steaks. Step up your grilling game by ditching the supermarket-bought skewers and experimenting with this juicy, versatile fruit. Create a marinade to make your watermelon steak even more spectacular with just a few simple ingredients and a date night – or family night – approved meal is ready to go.
Marinating Tips for Your Watermelon Steaks
- Always marinate watermelon steaks several hours before grilling.
- Start with a basic marinade made with freshly squeezed lemon juice, high-quality extra virgin olive oil and a pinch of sea salt. You can add spices, fresh herbs or dried seasoning to the mix.
- Every marinade should be unique; feel free to experiment. Try out different combinations of olive oils and mustards, add a splash of balsamic vinegar, or substitute teriyaki sauce for some of the lemon juice.
- Create a south of the border steak with black pepper and ground cumin.
- Experiment with Indian spices like garam masala, turmeric and cilantro.
- Make a citrusy steak with lemon, lime and garlic.
Take your watermelon steak to the next level with a little marinating magic. Experiment and have fun with your marinades to create a daringly delicious meal!
7. Get Grilling: How to Cook Watermelon Steak
Watermelon steak is a unique but delicious way to spice up your summer grilling. You can use thick slices of watermelon as a vegan alternative to steak, or as a flavorful accompaniment. Here’s how to get grilling a tasty watermelon steak:
- Preheat Your Grill: Preheat an outdoor or indoor grill over a medium-high heat. Keep your grill well-oiled to prevent sticking and burning.
- Choose & Prepare the Slices: Choose thick steak-like slices of watermelon – the thickness helps keep the watermelon from falling apart while on the grill.
Once your grill is heated, it’s time to prepare the watermelon steak slices. Generously brush both sides of the slice with olive oil and sprinkle salt and pepper, or experiment with your favorite spices.
- Place on the Grill: Carefully place each slice onto the preheated grill. Grill each side for 4 minutes, or until you reach desired char. The watermelon will soften on the inside and develop a slightly caramelized surface.
- Serve & Enjoy: Once cooked, remove the slices from the grill and place on a plate or cutting board. Serve immediately with your favorite grilled side dishes or as a vegan steak substitute.
8. Ways To Serve Watermelon Steak: Ideas To Try
Grilled – Grilling a thick watermelon steak can be the perfect summer meal. Grill the steak on medium-high heat, flipping once, until the watermelon steak is lightly charred. Reduce the heat, add a bit of seasoning like sea salt, cracked pepper and oregano, and let the steak grill for 2 more minutes.
Seared – Coat a thick watermelon steak in some olive oil before popping it in a searing hot skillet. Sear it on each side for 2-3 minutes. Remove from the skillet and finish seasoning it with salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Serve warm with a side of steamed vegetables for a light, flavourful meal.
- Fried – Dunk your watermelon steak into some beaten eggs and then in a light breading made up of panko, cumin, and chili powder. Then pan-fry until golden brown and serve with a delicious light salad.
- Griddled – Heat a griddle to 350°F and place the watermelon steak on it. Sear the steak on each side for a few minutes, sprinkle of basil then turn over and press down gently with a spatula. Serve warm.
- Stuffed – Cut a watermelon steak in half, opt for one that is about 2-4 cm thick. Scoop out the flesh and set aside. Then stuff the hollowed-out steak with feta cheese, softened dried cranberries, and chopped parsley. Grill on each side for a couple of minutes until the toppings are heated through.
9. Eat Responsibly: Easy Tips On Sustainable Watermelon Use
Watermelon is an important part of a balanced diet, and can make a great snack or dessert. But it’s important to remember that food production has a global impact, and eating responsibly can help ensure the sustainability of this wonderful fruit. Here are some quick and easy tips on how to make your next watermelon serving more sustainable.
- Buy non-GMO: Non-GMO (genetically modified organism) watermelons are made without genetic engineering and can be much safer for both you and the environment.
- Consider growing your own: Growing watermelons can be a fun and rewarding activity. Planting your own will also provide you with a constant supply of fresh, organic fruits.
- Purchase from local farmers: Buying from local farmers is a great way to reduce your carbon footprint and support your local agricultural economy.
Once you start to eat responsibly, you will quickly see the positive impact it can have on both the environment and your health. Give it a try – you might be surprised at the difference it makes.
10. Sprinkle On Some Finishing Touches: Garnishing Ideas for Watermelon Steak
Getting that perfect, restaurant-quality presentation on your plate can be essential to a great meal. To take your melon steak up a notch, all it takes is a few finishing touches, and you can easily elevate your dish to the highest level!
1) Green Plant-Based Garnishes: Add some green to your plate with a few plant-based garnishes. Fresh herbs like parsley and mint can add an attractive color contrast, while leafy greens like spinach and arugula can add a nice crunch. For something a little more unique, try adding slivers of avocado or a drizzle of guacamole.
2) Seeds and Nuts: Sprinkle your melon steak with crunchy, nutty flavors. Toasted pine nuts and lightly toasted sesame seeds are great, or you could even try experimenting with other nuts like almonds or walnuts. You can also add a touch of spiciness by sprinkling on some chili peppers or black pepper.
We hope you’re feeling inspired and ready to try out this fantastic watermelon steak recipe. Delighting both the eye and the palate, this is a perfectly sweet end to a summer of backyard BBQs. Let the slicing and grilling begin – happy summer!
Hi, my name is Luke Mitchell and I am a travel blogger based in Brisbane, Australia. I am the owner and creator of Arfra.org, the best blog about everything related to traveling in Australia. I have always had a passion for exploring new places and cultures and I decided to turn that passion into a career. I started Arfra.org to share my experiences and help others plan their own adventures in Australia.
I have traveled extensively throughout Australia and have a wealth of knowledge and tips to share. From the rugged outback to the beautiful beaches, I have been there and done that. I am also always on the lookout for the latest and greatest in the travel industry, so my readers can always expect to find the latest information on everything from hotels and resorts to tours and activities.
In my blog, I cover a wide range of topics including budget travel, luxury travel, family travel, and solo travel. I also share information on the best places to eat, drink, and shop, as well as the best outdoor activities and attractions.
When I am not traveling, you can find me in Brisbane where I call home. I love the city’s laid-back atmosphere and the great food and coffee scene. I also enjoy spending time with my friends and family, and taking my dog for long walks along the river.