Forget beef, pork and chicken! The newest protein option to hit your summer barbecue is the succulent and sweet watermelon steak. Sure, you may have seen watermelon served up as a juicy, refreshing snack on a hot summer day. But, have you ever imagined it sizzling on the barbecue? Grilling up a watermelon steak adds an unexpected element of flavor your family and friends are sure to love!
1. Introducing the Next Best Grilling Treat: Watermelon Steak
Are you looking for an exciting and nutritious way to cook up steak on the grill? Introducing an incredible grilling treat that everyone should try: watermelon steak. Watermelon steak is basically grilled watermelon that has the delicious taste of steak.
Watermelon steak is great for warm-weather barbecues and the taste is truly one-of-a-kind. Here are some reasons to make watermelon steak your next grilling treat:
- It’s full of fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
- Easy and quick to make.
- It’s a great way to mix up your grilling routine.
- It looks beautiful once it’s cooked.
- It’s a tasty and healthy option for vegetarians.
Making steak with watermelon is actually quite simple. All you need to do is buy a few big watermelon slices and season them with the same condiments you would use when grilling a normal steak. Once that’s done, place the slices on the grill and cook them just like a normal steak. Once cooked, you can add any decorative ingredients you want to make the watermelon steak as impressive looking as you want. Your guests will definitely be impressed.
Watermelon steak’s unique and delicious taste makes it one of the most exciting grilling treats to share with friends and family. So why not give it a try and make your next barbeque even more fun and memorable?
2. Fire Up the BBQ: Prepping Your Watermelon Steak
To serve up a juicy and flavorful watermelon steak, the preparation needs to be perfect! Here are some simple tips to help you get your steak on the right track:
- Start by trimming off the outer rind, shaving it down until you can see the watermelon’s flesh. Cut straight across the top and the bottom, so you can have the steak-shaped surface for grilling.
- Using a sharp knife, score the surface of the steak with shallow crosshatches (about ¼ inch deep) in horizontal and vertical directions.
This will help the marinade and oil penetrate the flesh and infuse it with some zesty flavor. Brush some extra virgin olive oil over the scored steak and sprinkle your favorite marinade. Let it sit in the fridge for at least an hour before grilling! Now you’re ready to grill the steak to caramelized perfection. Make sure the grill is preheated and oiled. Place the steak over the medium-high heat and cook it for 4-5 minutes on each side. This way, it’ll be nice and charred, but still juicy and tender.
3. Unlocking the Juiciest Flavors: Marinades and Rubs
One of the best ways to make the most of your food is to introduce Marinades and Rubs. Marinades are a blend of liquid, herbs, spices and oil which add flavour, tenderise and protect your food from drying out. Rubs, on the other hand, involve herbs, spices and other seasonings being rubbed directly onto the meat or vegetables.
Marinades and rubs are designed to add flavor and can be adapted easily to suit different dishes. For example, a combination of herbs such as thyme and rosemary can conjure up some classic Mediterranean flavors, and a garlic, soy and sesame marinade is perfect for adding an Asian twist. Experimenting with your own blends can be fun and lead to the juiciest, tastiest creations.
- Marinades are liquid-based, used to coat the food in a blend of herbs, spices and oil.
- Rubs involve herbs, spices and other seasonings being rubbed directly onto the food.
- The combinations of ingredients used in marinades and rubs can be adapted easily to create unique flavors.
4. Getting the Perfect Cook: Grilling Temperature and Time
Creating the perfect grilled steak can be a difficult task even for the most experienced chefs. By mastering the basics of grilling temperature and time, you can get it just right every time. Let’s take a look at the key things to consider:
- Temperature: Your grill should be hot enough to get those gorgeous grill marks, but not so hot that you burn the outside before the inside is cooked. A temperature of 375-400 degrees should do the trick.
- Time: The length of time you grill your steak depends on its thickness and the desired doneness. A thicker steak needs more time to cook, while a thinner one should spend less time on the flame. Use a meat thermometer to check doneness, and always remember to rest the steak for at least five minutes after it comes off the grill.
By following these simple tips, you can become a master of the grill. Let your newfound grilling skills be the envy of your family and friends. Plus, you’ll enjoy the delicious results every time.
5. Season to Perfection: Pairing Your Watermelon Steak with Herbs and Spices
A slow roasted watermelon steak makes for a truly beautiful summer dish. The sweet, juicy flavor of the watermelon contrasts wonderfully with the smoky char from the grill. But what is the best way to really enhance the flavor?
Herbs and spices are the perfect way to bring out the wonderful flavors of this unique dish. Experiment with different mixtures to find the right balance for you; here are a few suggestions to get you started:
- Cumin, red pepper flakes, and garlic powder
- Rosemary, garlic, and chili powder
- Ginger, coriander, and black pepper
- Cilantro, thyme, and smoked paprika
Don’t be afraid to get creative! There is no limit to the number of flavor combinations that you can create. Use your favorite herbs and spices to bring out the bold and juicy flavor of your watermelon steak.
6. Maximum Sweetness and Snazz: Garnishing Tips and Ideas
When looking to add the perfect finishing touch to your culinary creations, don’t forget the importance of a good garnish. By carefully selecting the right colors, shapes, and textures, your dishes will become a real feast for the eyes.
Here are some of our favorite garnishing tips and ideas:
- Take a simple slice of lemon and twist into a fan for a citrusy addition to fish dishes.
- Chop fresh herbs like parsley, basil, and chives for a pop of flavor and color.
- Sprinkle spices like paprika, red pepper flakes, and ground cinnamon for a touch of sweetness.
- Add a few roasted nuts for an unbeatable crunch.
- Top a dish with edible flowers or petals for a hint of sweetness and a charming aesthetic.
- If you really want to go crazy, try making a vegetable sculpture, like a mini rose out of a radish.
So don’t hesitate to get creative! Even a simple sprinkle of dried oregano or a drizzle of olive oil can do wonders. With a few garnish ideas in your arsenal, you’ll be able to take your recipes to the next level.
7. Don’t Forget Sides: Creating the Perfect Platter with Watermelon Steak
Creating the perfect platter with watermelon steak is a challenge, but you can make it easier by not forgetting the sides. Whether you’re preparing a gourmet feast or creating a quick and easy weeknight dinner, there are plenty of sides you can pair with your watermelon steak. Here are some great suggestions to get you started:
- Green Salads: Make things easy and go for a pre-made salad mix. Toss in some nuts and dried fruit for a boost of flavor and nutrition. Or, for a more custom flavor, prepare a simple green salad with mixed lettuce, tomato, onion and feta.
- Grilled Vegetables: Grilled vegetables, from zucchini and summer squash to bell peppers and asparagus, make a delicious accompaniment to watermelon steak. If grilling isn’t an option, steamed or roasted vegetables achieve the same results.
- Grains: Quinoa, faro, brown rice and other grains make an easy and nutritious accompaniment to your platter, and the options for flavorings and herbs are endless.
With the right sides, watermelon steak makes a flavorful and satisfying meal. Try these ideas and experiment to see what sides you and your guests enjoy most. You may just find a new favorite platter combination.
8. Hot Off the Grill: Dishes to Show Off Your Watermelon Steak Skills
Our outdoor cookout season is officially here and, with it, our stamping grounds for proving our prowess on the grill. From tangy marinades to fresh veggie sides, you can bring a whole charade of scrumptious dishes to the table. But have you ever tried something a little wilder? It’s time to cast off the cooking secures and head into the uncharted territory with watermelon steak: the new star of the grill scene.
This is truly the showstopper of the summer. Cut your watermelon slices at least one inch thick, marinade them in your favorite mix of spices — think tart and salty – and pop them on the hot grill for a delicious feast for the eyes and palate. Get creative with your toppings; try carrot and radish shavings, chilis, and crumbled feta cheese. Here’s a few delicious dishes to get you started:
- Cumin-Chipotle Watermelon Steak: Take your watermelon and sprinkle with ground cumin and chipotle. Grill on medium heat for 4 minutes and top with crumbled feta.
- Garlic-Lime Watermelon Steak: This variety marries garlic, lime-juice, and honey. Grill these hearty slices for 4 minutes and top with carrot and radish shavings.
- Spicy Habanero Watermelon Steak: For those seeking a real kick, marinate watermelon slices in your favorite hot sauce and top with a dollop of sour cream. Grill slices for 4 minutes.
These flavorful dishes are sure to liven up any outdoor gathering. But be warned: your guests won’t be able to resist them. Show off your watermelon steak skills this summer and watch how many tongues start salivating in anticipation.
9. Grilled Versatility: Turning Your Watermelon Steak into Delicious and Innovative Meals
Watermelon steak has enjoyed a meteoric rise in popularity in recent years, with more and more people discovering its delicious versatility on their grill. There’s no need to have the same old watermelon steak each and every time; with a little bit of creativity, you can create numerous different innovative and delicious meals.
To start, let’s consider the different things that can be done with your watermelon steak. A traditional approach is to season it with your favorite spices and cook it directly over hot coals. This will bring out a lovely smoky flavor and leave you with a juicy, savory steak. To make it even better, top with your favorite savory salsa or a smoky rub.
- Grilled Veggies – What pairs better with a delicious steak dinner than grilled vegetables? With watermelon steak, you can char-grill onions, peppers, and mushrooms for an amazing side.
- Pasta Sauce – Once cooked and sliced, watermelon steak makes for an amazing pasta sauce. With a few simple additions like garlic and herbs, you can have an impeccable dinner on the table in no time.
- Salads – Cut into cubes, grilled watermelon steak makes for an excellent addition to salads. Top with your favorite complimentary ingredients like olives and feta cheese for a refreshing, healthy meal.
It’s clear that there are seemingly endless possibilities when it comes to turning watermelon steak into delicious meals. All it takes is a bit of creativity and you can quickly put together a scrumptious dinner that both you and your family will love.
10. Ready for a Sizzling Bite? Inviting Watermelon Steak to Your Summer Grill Party
Summer is the perfect season for grilling, and it’s also the ideal time to get creative with your dishes. If you’re looking for an original way to spice up your outdoor grill party, a watermelon steak is the way to go!
Watermelon steak is a delicious and surprisingly filling addition to any summer meal. Here’s what you need to know to make this tasty dish:
- Choose the right watermelon. Look for a deep and even green color and no visible bruises or dents. Tap on the watermelon with your knuckles, and the surface should feel hard.
- Cut it up. Slice your watermelon into thick slices and cut each slice into cubes of equal size.
- Season and grill. Generously sprinkle salt and your favorite seasonings onto the cubes. Grill them over medium-high heat until lines appear, about 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
So go ahead, give your summer BBQ a unique spin with some sizzling watermelon steak. Trust us, your guests will love it! Watermelon steak is a delicious, low-calorie, and unique addition to the grilling repertoire that so many of us use during summertime. Not only does it make for an amusing dinner-table-discussion piece, but it’s also super easy to make and adds an unbelievable smoky sweetness to an already mouth-watering meal. So why not give it a try tonight–it’s guaranteed to make dinner sizzle!
Hi, my name is Luke Mitchell and I am a travel blogger based in Brisbane, Australia. I am the owner and creator of Arfra.org, the best blog about everything related to traveling in Australia. I have always had a passion for exploring new places and cultures and I decided to turn that passion into a career. I started Arfra.org to share my experiences and help others plan their own adventures in Australia.
I have traveled extensively throughout Australia and have a wealth of knowledge and tips to share. From the rugged outback to the beautiful beaches, I have been there and done that. I am also always on the lookout for the latest and greatest in the travel industry, so my readers can always expect to find the latest information on everything from hotels and resorts to tours and activities.
In my blog, I cover a wide range of topics including budget travel, luxury travel, family travel, and solo travel. I also share information on the best places to eat, drink, and shop, as well as the best outdoor activities and attractions.
When I am not traveling, you can find me in Brisbane where I call home. I love the city’s laid-back atmosphere and the great food and coffee scene. I also enjoy spending time with my friends and family, and taking my dog for long walks along the river.