Although it’s usually an essential ingredient in our favorite summer fruit salad, watermelon has made its way to the fire-lit grill this summer! Introducing the ‘watermelon steak’, a delicious, juicy new dish perfect for any outdoor gathering. Keep reading to discover just how easy it is to make this delicious alternative to the classic steak!
1. Grilling Season is Here – Time to Add an Unexpected Twist!
Whether camping in the wilderness or in your own backyard, grilling is the quintessential summer cookout classic. Nothing quite screams summer like a classic burger, hot dog, or juicy steak. Try adding some pizzazz to those classic recipes with a few easy ingredients for a fresher experience.
- Reduce the amount of meat in your burgers and replace with crunchy vegetables like diced onions, kale, corn, and red peppers.
- Create Hawaiian themed kabobs using pineapple, peppers, and onions on a skewer.
- Create boneless chicken tacos with a zesty mango salsa.
- Make rib-eye steaks and top with a zest of lemon and rosemary.
Before grilling, have some fun creating your own recipes and experimenting with different marinades, toppings, and rubs. Try marinating your meat in beer, gin, or even mead! If you’re not big on meat, try grilling fresh vegetables such as portobello mushrooms, asparagus, or Brussels sprouts. Whatever you choose, get grilling with an unexpected twist for the perfect summer cookout.
2. The Versatile Wonderland of Watermelon Steaks
From sushi-style steaks to classic, barbecued slabs, there is a seemingly endless array of possibilities when it comes to the versatile vegetable that is the watermelon. Not only is it rich in nutrients and a great source of hydration, but it’s also a surprisingly delicious way to bring some sweetness to your plate.
You can get creative with watermelon steaks, which make for both creative displays and great meals. You can switch up the way you season your slices with light marinades or rubs, or add some whole or chopped spices, or get a little zesty with some citrus juice, zest, and herbs. For added nutrition, you can even top your watermelon steak off with some nuts or seeds. And the possibilities don’t just end at the steak. Watermelons make great cold or cooked salads and side dishes. You can even transform your watermelon into a succulent soup or a sweet salsa.
- Sushi-style steaks
- Barbecue slabs
- Marinades and rubs
- Citrus juice, zest, and herbs
- Chopped nuts and seeds
- Cold or cooked salads
Whether you’re grilling or baking, experimenting with watermelon steaks is a sure way to feast your eyes as well as your taste buds – they pack a unique flavor while allowing you to get creative with your favorite summer recipes. Take the plunge, and see where the versatility of watermelons takes you.
3. Tantalizing Your Taste Buds with Sweet and Savoury
Satisfying a Sweet Tooth
These days, sweet treats can be found around every corner. Whether it’s an ice cream cone in the summer heat, a light and fluffy cake on a special occasion, or simply something to fill that craving, no one can resist an irresistibly sweet snack. In this chapter, we will explore a variety of popular items that tantalize your taste buds with just the right amount of sweetness.
Delightful desserts may take on many forms, yet nothing quite satisfies a craving like a classic. Doughnuts, cupcakes, and cookies are always the perfect option for a quick hit of sugar. Don’t forget about larger baked goods like pies and cakes – just don’t forget to have a generous helping of ice cream on the side. Here’s a list of treats to consider when you’re looking for a little something special:
- Peanut Butter Balls
- Chocolate Brownies
- Molten Lava Cakes
- Carrot Cake
The Savoury Option
There are times when a sweet treat isn’t the best option, and that’s when the savoury side comes in. Whether you’re in the mood for a light lunch or something a bit more substantial for dinner, there are plenty of delicious alternatives that can fuel your appetite and tantalize your taste buds. Think about snacks like popcorn, chips, pretzels or crackers. If you’re looking for something heartier, consider dishes like macaroni and cheese, quiche, chili con carne, or even pizza! Here’s a list of dishes to try:
- Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- Loaded Nachos
- Homemade Beef Burgers
- Crispy Fried Fish
- Chili Garlic Shrimp
- Vegetable Stuffed Peppers
4. The Science of Why Grilled Watermelon Steak Tastes So Damn Good
Barbecuing: The Maillard Reaction. When any food is grilled, a chemical reaction known as the Maillard reaction occurs. Here’s how it works: when food is heated, the sugars and amino acids (the building blocks of proteins) break down and combine to create a range of flavour compounds. These flavour compounds give grilled food its classic, delicious smokiness and browning.
Grilling Watermelon Steak. Grilling watermelon steak – the popular summer trend – uses this same process. Due to its water content, watermelon steaks take longer to cook compared to other cuts of meat. While bubbly, golden-brown Maillard compounds crisp the outer surface of the steak, the inside remains juicy and succulent. Since the Maillard reaction breaks down the sugars and amino acids, the steak gains an intoxicating smokiness as well as a subtly sweet edge.
- The Maillard reaction breaks down the sugars and amino acids of a steak.
- The smokiness and browning of grilled food come from this reaction.
- Grilling watermelon steak takes longer than other cuts of meat.
- The steak gains an intoxicating smokiness as well as a subtly sweet edge.
5. Mastering the Process: Tips for Perfect Watermelon Steaks
Hot Tip: Pick Plastic-Free Watermelons
Eating watermelon steaks is a great way to enjoy the summer but it can be hard to master the process. To get the perfect slices, all you need to do is start out with the perfect watermelon. Choose plastic-wrapped-free varieties. Plastic doesn’t just leave an unpleasant film over your watermelon slices, but it may also contain traces of potentially harmful chemicals. Selecting a plastic-free watermelon makes sure that each juicy bite of your watermelon steak is safe and clean.
Having the right tools is essential to get the perfect watermelon steak. You will need a sharp knife, cutting board, spoon, shallow baking dish and baking sheet. Here’s what you need to do:
- Cut the watermelon in half
- Scoop out the seeds
- Cut each half into thick slices
- Remove the peel from each slice
- Place the steaks on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper
Now you can season your watermelon steak and grilled or bake. Make sure to grill your steak on medium-high heat for about three minutes on each side or bake at 350°F for 10-15 minutes and enjoy!
6. Vegetarian Heaven: Enjoying Watermelon Steaks with Zero Guilt
As summer rolls in, one of the most popular cravings is the juicily sweet, crisp and refreshing watermelon. But just how much of this luscious red fruit is too much? Enter watermelon steak, an innovative way to balance your love of this summertime treat without guilt.
With an abundance of mineral content, watermelon steaks make a perfect base for a range of wild topping ideas. Drizzle some citrusy, creamy Greek yogurt and fresh lime juice over, or sprinkle on some chilli flakes for a kick. If you’re feeling a little wild, why not try topping it with ginger and cardamom, nutmeg and cinnamon, or get creative with some fresh herbs?
- Health Benefits: Watermelon steak rewards your wellbeing with:
- hydrating electrolytes,
- potassium-packed minerals,
- fibre-rich vitamins A and C.
So if poolside BBQs with friends has you yearning for a tasty vegetarian alternative, then watermelon steaks are the ideal solution. Let your taste buds run wild with all your favorite flavour combinations, without compromising on enjoying guilt-free summer indulgence!
7. Spice it Up: Fruity Combos to Try on Your Watermelon Steaks
Watermelon steaks have become a popular summer treat and they can be enjoyed in numerous ways. However, why not add some zest and flavor to your steaks by pairing them with different fruit combinations? Here are 7 fruity combos to take your watermelon steak to the next level.
- Strawberry and Blueberry: This fruity blend of sweet strawberries and tart blueberries adds a hint of sweetness that complements the summery taste of watermelon steaks. Drizzle some honey over the combo for a healthy and delectable treat.
- Lime and Coconut: The sweet and tart flavors of this combination create a unique and enjoyable flavor that is sure to please your palate. For an extra hint of coconut, sprinkle some shredded coconut flakes over the steaks.
- Mango and Pineapple: For all the fruit lovers out there, this tropical blend of mango and pineapple is sure to be a hit. Use fresh mango and pineapple slices to top off your watermelon steak and enjoy the sweet and tarty flavor.
- Kiwi and Blackberry: This is a great option for those who love tart and tangy flavors. Add a sprinkle of sugar or honey to bring out the sweet undertones of both flavors.
- Apple and Cinnamon: This classic flavor combination will add an extra bit of sweetness and spice to your steaks. Top your steaks off with diced apples and a sprinkle of cinnamon for a uniquely flavorful experience.
- Pomegranate and Orange: Pomegranate has been known for its health benefits for centuries. Combine this with the tart and sweet taste of oranges for a combination that is sure to be delicious. Sprinkle some honey for the perfect finishing touch.
- Banana and Maple Syrup: Bananas and maple syrup may seem like an odd combination, but the sweet and buttery flavor of the syrup perfectly complements the sweetness of the banana. Add some slices of banana and a light drizzle of syrup to your steaks for a combination that will leave you wanting more.
8. The Many Ways to Serve Grilled Watermelon Steaks
Grilled watermelon steak is a unique twist on a summer favorite. The juicy, sweet and tart taste of a watermelon steak paired with smoky, char marks from the grill make for an unbeatable combination. There are many ways to enjoy this flavor combination, from sandwiches to salads and even over ice cream. Here are some of the best ways to serve grilled watermelon steak on your next summer barbeque.
- Sandwiches: layer slices of grilled watermelon steak between two slices of bread with your favorite condiments. Add a handful of alfalfa sprouts, tomato slices, arugula and a dollop of vegan mayo or mustard to make a gourmet-style sandwich.
- Salad: dice up easily grilled watermelon steak and stir together with cucumber, tomatoes, feta cheese and olives for a delicious summer salad. Top it off with a light vinaigrette for an extra kick of flavor.
- Taco bar: for a creative twist on tacos, try serving grilled watermelon steak on tacos shells with onions, cilantro, tomatoes, and a lime queso sauce.
- Ice cream: for an unexpected way to serve grilled watermelon steak, try it over a scoop of vanilla ice cream. The smoky sweet notes from the watermelon steak contrast the cool, creamy ice cream for an irresistible flavor.
9. Get Creative: Making Decadent Watermelon Steak Dishes
The Possibilities are Endless
When it comes to making a summer feast, don’t forget to throw a few delicious watermelon steaks into the mix! Not only are watermelon steaks incredibly juicy, they take on flavor like no other fruit. Whether you’re grilling them over an open flame, pan-frying them, or baking them – there’s a world of opportunity waiting to be discovered. Here are some favorite watermelon steak dishes:
- Tandoori Spice-Marinated Watermelon Steak
- Teriyaki Watermelon Steak Skewers
- Grilled Watermelon Steak with Gremolata
- Mushroom and Watermelon Steak Stroganoff
Creative cooks can have a lot of fun experimenting with different flavors and recipes to craft a decadent watermelon steak dish. Make sure to pick the ripest watermelon possible and cut it into steaks of even thickness. Use high-heat cooking methods to achieve a nicely-seared exterior and a juicy, tender interior. Spruce it up with some herbs and spices, or a zesty marinade, and you’re ready to impress your friends and family with a delicious feast.
10. Why it is Time to Put the Fruit SALAD Aside and Get Grilling!
Summer is the perfect time to get out of your house and start firing up the grill. Grilling has been around for thousands of years and has been a popular cooking method since its inception. And there’s a reason why it’s still so popular: the combination of smoke, heat, and flavor can’t be beat. Here are few of the reasons why grilling is the perfect way to go for summer cooking:
- It’s Healthy: Grilling eliminates much of the fat from your food. With grilling, there’s no need for oil, butter, or other fats, which can leave your food feeling dry and flavorless. Additionally, the smoke from the grill adds a unique flavor without the need for high-fat sauces or marinades.
- It’s Quick and Easy: Grilling is a great way to get dinner on the table quickly. The cooking time is usually quite short so you can have food cooked and ready to eat in no time at all. You don’t have to worry about pre-cooking or messing around with complicated sauces or marinades.
- It’s Delicious: Grilling brings out the natural flavors of your food, making it much more delicious than it otherwise would be. The smoky character also adds depth to whatever you’re cooking. And, depending on what type of wood you use for the grill, you can impart an extra hint of smoky flavor that really takes the dish to the next level.
So the next time you find yourself looking for something to make for dinner, why not put the fruit salad aside and get grilling? You won’t regret it!
As you can see, grilling watermelon steak has the potential to be a unique and delicious dish to enjoy during the summer. Whether you are a fire-grilling expert or a beginner to the grill, give this one a try and let us know how it goes! With just a few ingredients and the right technique, you can create a truly magnificent dish. Enjoy your summer watermelon feast!
Hi, my name is Luke Mitchell and I am a travel blogger based in Brisbane, Australia. I am the owner and creator of Arfra.org, the best blog about everything related to traveling in Australia. I have always had a passion for exploring new places and cultures and I decided to turn that passion into a career. I started Arfra.org to share my experiences and help others plan their own adventures in Australia.
I have traveled extensively throughout Australia and have a wealth of knowledge and tips to share. From the rugged outback to the beautiful beaches, I have been there and done that. I am also always on the lookout for the latest and greatest in the travel industry, so my readers can always expect to find the latest information on everything from hotels and resorts to tours and activities.
In my blog, I cover a wide range of topics including budget travel, luxury travel, family travel, and solo travel. I also share information on the best places to eat, drink, and shop, as well as the best outdoor activities and attractions.
When I am not traveling, you can find me in Brisbane where I call home. I love the city’s laid-back atmosphere and the great food and coffee scene. I also enjoy spending time with my friends and family, and taking my dog for long walks along the river.