When summer temperatures start to rise, the last thing you want to do is turn the oven on and heat up your kitchen. On those hot days, why not try grilling your dinner? For something extra special and refreshing, why not try grilling watermelon steaks? A surprisingly delicious way to enjoy one of summer’s favorite fruits, grilling watermelon steaks will make for a unique and tasty summer meal.
1. Grill Up a Refreshing Summer Meal: Watermelon Steaks
Summer is the perfect time to break out the grill and make some delicious meals! Watermelon steaks are a great way to enjoy the sweetness of watermelon, without having to worry about it melting in the heat. Here are some tips on how to make amazing watermelon steaks:
- Select a nice, ripe, seedless watermelon and cut it into thick one inch thick slices or “steaks”.
- With a brush, lightly coat both sides of the watermelon slices with a little oil.
- Generously season each side of the watermelon slice with salt and pepper.
- Place the watermelon steaks onto medium-hot grill grates and let cook for 3-5 minutes.
Once the watermelon steaks are done cooking, they are ready to serve. These grilled watermelon slices are the perfect summer treat! Serve them warm off the grill with a generous spread of a delicious homemade topping. Our favorite is a freshly made pesto made with basil, olive oil, pepper, and garlic.
2. How to Grill the Perfect Watermelon Steak
It’s time to get grilling! We’re going to show you how to cook the perfect watermelon steak. Divinely juicy, deliciously flavourful and impressively charred – you’ll want to add this to your summer barbecues every year!
First off, you’ll need to choose a ripe, medium-sized watermelon. Its bright colour and fragrant smell will be sure signs that it’s ready for the fire. Follow these steps to get it perfect:
- Slicing: Cut your watermelon into thick steaks – about 10 cm thick.
- Brushing: Brush both sides of the steak with oil and season with a sprinkle of salt.
- Grilling: Place directly on the fire. Grill each side of the steak until you get a beautiful char – about 2 minutes on each side.
- Serving: Serve with a dill yogurt or white sauce of your choice – delicious!
Finally, enjoy the juicy, flavourful delight of your fanned-out watermelon steak. Get ready to be the envy of your next barbecue gathering!
3. Preparing to Grill: Gather Your Ingredients
When it comes to grilling, it’s all about what you put in. Make sure you gather the right ingredients before launching into the grilling process to make sure the flavors really shine. Here’s what to include:
- The protein (meat, veggies, or vegan alternatives)
- Seasonings (salt, pepper, and any other herbs or spices)
- Oil (to help your protein cook evenly and enhance the flavor)
Gather up some of your favorite ingredients for marinades and sauces too! Chopping up vegetables and preparing dips ahead of time can be a great way to make the most of your grilling experience and make sure the flavors really come alive. Bold flavors like garlic and peppers or a deliciously creamy tzatziki are great choices.
4. Liven Things Up: Flavorings for Watermelon Steaks
Garnishing watermelon steaks with flavorful ingredients is a great way to give them a unique, colorful, and punchy twist. Here are a few delicious ideas to try:
- Cilantro and Lime: chop some fresh cilantro leaves and dress the steaks with them, along with juice of a half lime.
- Chilli and Red Onion: mix together finely chopped red onion and chilli pepper and sprinkle over the steaks.
- Feta Cheese and Olives: crumble feta cheese over the steaks and adorn with a few pitted black olives.
Combining different flavors together can create extraordinary new tastes, so get creative! Try topping with pesto, or with a splash of balsamic vinaigrette. Or sprinkle your watermelon steak with rosemary and minced garlic. The possibilities are endless!
5. Get to Grillin’: Tips for Grilling Watermelon Steaks
Cut Watermelon in Thick Steaks and Let Marinade:
If you’re looking to get your grilling game going with a unique option, then watermelon steaks are the way to go! First and foremost, make sure you cut your watermelon into thick slabs, making sure the steaks are big enough to support a good long time on the grill. Then, let the steaks marinade in an oil of your choice (olive or coconut work best) and let the ingredients soak in. You can also add extra flavors to the marinade to give your watermelon steaks a unique kick.
Grill the Steaks Until They Have Good Charring:
To get the most flavor out of the watermelon steaks, grill them for about 10-15 minutes, until both sides have good charring. Make sure you have a good fire going and an excellent grilling surface to avoid burning or over-cooking the steaks. As they reach the end of their cooking time, you can add a final touch with a sprinkle of coarse salt and a few bold spices, if that is to your liking. Serve these juicy, savory steaks and your backyard cookout will be the talk of the town!
Enjoy the freshness and versatility of watermelon steaks, and you’ll never have a dull grill session again!
6. Let’s Eat: Serving Up Watermelon Steaks
Grilled & Glazed Watermelon Steaks
One of life’s greatest joys is gathering around the table to enjoy a delicious meal, and that doesn’t have to mean traditional steakhouse fare! You can surprise your guests with some scrumptious watermelon steaks – grilled and glazed with an irresistible combination of flavors. Here’s how to prepare these yummy steaks:
- Purchase a ripe, seedless watermelon from the store.
- Cut 4 steak-sized sections from the melon.
- Brush the steaks generously on both sides with olive oil.
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat and place the watermelon steaks on.
- Sear the steaks for about 5 minutes, turning once during cooking.
Once the steaks have developed some char marks, remove them from the grill and onto a plate. For the glaze, combine melted butter with honey, soy sauce, and a dash of cayenne pepper. Brush the mixture over the watermelon steaks and enjoy with a side of lemon zest rice or a salad of your choice. Bon appétit!
7. Succulent Side Dishes to Accompany Watermelon Steaks
Whether you’re looking to add a bit of zing to your barbecue, or something light to go with your watermelon steaks, succulent side dishes are the perfect accompaniment. Here are a few delicious selections to get your mouth watering:
- Grilled Asparagus: Crisp and fresh, it adds the perfect crunch to a meal.
- Roasted Red Peppers: Lightly sautéed with garlic and oil, they’re a great addition.
- White Bean Salad: A simple and refreshing side dish that’s easy to make and enjoyable to eat.
Another great option for an accompaniment is a tangy citrus salad. Combining oranges, lemons and grapefruit, it’s a delicious burst of flavour. If you’re looking to add a bit of even more zing, why not add some spiced nuts or a spicy salsa? There are so many vibrant and delicious options to choose from! It’s just a matter of picking the right one.
8. Grilled Watermelon Steaks: An Easy and Refreshing Summer Option
With summer upon us, many of us are turning to lighter meals and refreshing snacks! If you’re looking for something new, try something unexpected this summer with grilled watermelon steaks. They make an easy and unique meal, bursting with summery flavor and healthy vitamins and minerals.
Grilling brings out a sweetness in the watermelon and brings an interesting texture to the typically soft fruit. Simply slice the watermelon into thick slices and brush a light layer of olive oil, then season with salt, pepper, and any favorite herbs or spices like cumin, oregano, chili powder. Grill each side for 3-4 minutes and then serve.
Taste the Difference!
- High in Vitamins A and C
- Easily customizable with spices
- A simple and refreshing summer snack
- Comes together in minutes
Grilled watermelon steaks make a tasty summer meal or snack when served alongside other grilled items, atop salads, or on a platter of other grilled fruit. It takes just a few minutes to put together, allowing you to spend more time with family and friends. Enjoy the fresh flavors of summer with grilled watermelon steaks!
9. Health Benefits of Grilled Watermelon Steaks
Gone are the days of just using watermelon as a summertime snack – it is now time to grill up this juicy goodness! Grilling watermelon adds a wonderfully smoky flavor to the juicy fruit, and can be enjoyed as a meal or even a sweet dessert. Taste aside, the benefits of grilling watermelon steaks come with a side of health perks!
First of all, grilled watermelon steaks are a great source of vitamins A, C, and potassium. All are essential to a healthy lifestyle, as they help promote heart health, may help lower the risk of certain types of cancer, and even aid in better sleep. Plus, since there is little to no fat content, grilling watermelon is a great way to have a healthy meal.
Not to mention, grilled watermelon steaks are loaded with antioxidant power, as it contains lycopene, which is known for its ability to fight free radicals. The charred outer layer of the melon can provide many health benefits, like reducing the risk of stroke, preventing diabetes and improving skin health. Finally, the many essential nutrients in grilled watermelon steaks can help boost your immune system and protect against illness.
In conclusion, there are plenty of health benefits to be found when you opt to grill up some watermelon steaks! Adding this to your plate can provide:
- Vitamins A, C, & potassium
- Reduced risk of certain types of cancer
- Boosted immune system
- Lycopene, which fights off free radicals
- Improved skin & heart health
So, wouldn’t you say it is time to fire up the grill and get to grilling some tasty, juicy watermelon steaks?
10. Enjoy a Deliciously Refreshing Meal: Grilled Watermelon Steaks!
Grilling your favorite fruits and vegetables is an easy and delicious way to enjoy a satisfying meal. For an exciting twist, why not try grilling watermelon steaks? As strange as it may sound, this tasty dish packs bold flavors and is surprisingly satisfying.
Grilled watermelon steaks are best prepared on a preheated grill. Cut thick slices of watermelon and season generously with salt and pepper. Next, place the steaks onto the hot grill and allow them to cook for 2-3 minutes per side. Once cooked, remove the steaks and serve them with your favorite side dishes. These watermelon steaks are light, juicy, and utterly delicious!
- Key Ingredients: Watermelon, salt, pepper.
- Servings: 4-6.
- Grilling Time: 2-3 minutes per side.
Grilling watermelon steaks have quickly become the go-to summer meal refreshing enough to cool you down even on the hottest days. Whether you opt to top them with a spicy salsa or enjoy as is, watermelon is sure to sweeten up your summer grilling!
Hi, my name is Luke Mitchell and I am a travel blogger based in Brisbane, Australia. I am the owner and creator of Arfra.org, the best blog about everything related to traveling in Australia. I have always had a passion for exploring new places and cultures and I decided to turn that passion into a career. I started Arfra.org to share my experiences and help others plan their own adventures in Australia.
I have traveled extensively throughout Australia and have a wealth of knowledge and tips to share. From the rugged outback to the beautiful beaches, I have been there and done that. I am also always on the lookout for the latest and greatest in the travel industry, so my readers can always expect to find the latest information on everything from hotels and resorts to tours and activities.
In my blog, I cover a wide range of topics including budget travel, luxury travel, family travel, and solo travel. I also share information on the best places to eat, drink, and shop, as well as the best outdoor activities and attractions.
When I am not traveling, you can find me in Brisbane where I call home. I love the city’s laid-back atmosphere and the great food and coffee scene. I also enjoy spending time with my friends and family, and taking my dog for long walks along the river.