Beat the summer heat with a delicious and unique grilling experience! Introduce your taste buds to a deliciously flavorsome twist on outdoor cooking this season – Grilling Watermelon Steaks! They provide a surprisingly succulent and juicy take on outdoor cooking, and make the perfect addition to any barbecue. Read on to learn exactly how to transform watermelon into a tantalizing steak!
1. Spice Up Summer Grilling with Watermelon Steaks!
If you love grilling in the summer, then why not switch it up with watermelon steak? Delicious, juicy and surprisingly beefy, this unique summer dish is sure to be a hit!
- Use the Right Watermelon: Watermelon steak is best made with watermelons that are ripe but still slightly firm. You want to find one that is dark and has some give when you press gently on the skin.
- Prepare the Watermelon: After you slice the watermelon, you want to remove any excess liquid by either laying them out on a plate or paper towels. Otherwise, the steak might get soggy!
- Season Your Steaks: To add some extra flavor, you can season your steaks with some salt and pepper, or even get creative and add your favorite herbs and spices.
Once your steaks are seasoned, you can either grill them, or if you don’t have a grill, you can also fry them up in some butter. Serve your watermelon steak alongside some grilled veggies, and you’ve got yourself a unique and delicious summer meal!
2. An Introduction to Grilling Watermelon like a Steak
Grilling watermelon is the perfect way to up your summer BBQ game! It’s a sweet alternative to traditional meats, packed with flavor and a surprise for your guests. To get you started, here are a few simple tips for grilling watermelon like a steak:
- Select firm, evenly-ripened watermelons.
- Slice the watermelon into thick triangular steaks, about 4”x4” each.
- Oil the grates of your grill before placing the watermelon slices on.
Grill the watermelon slices for around 2 minutes per side on a medium-high heat. The ends of the watermelon should be slightly charred when ready. You can also use a brush to brush your favorite sauces onto the watermelon while cooking such as a sweet and spicy chili sauce.
Once cooked, you can serve the watermelon steaks hot on a plate or even as a sandwich. Add some marinated feta, a light salad and some crusty bread for an impressively delicious meal. The sweet, juicy, smoky flavor of the watermelon will have your guests reaching for seconds!
3. The Benefits of Switching to Watermelon for Your Grilling Needs
- Grilling with watermelon is an excellent way to enjoy delicious flavors and tastes.
- It’s also healthier than other cooking methods, as it helps to reduce unhealthy fats in the food.
Watermelon is becoming increasingly popular as a cooking tool and offers a host of benefits to those who choose to use it. Watermelon is a surprisingly versatile ingredient and can be used in a variety of ways. It helps to retain moisture during the cooking process and can be used to add a unique flavor to any dish. Grilling with watermelon is a form of slow cooking, which helps to ensure all flavors come through in the food, making it even more delicious than usual.
Moreover, watermelon is a very healthy choice for your grilling needs. It is low in calories, high in potassium and vitamins, and contains anti-inflammatory compounds. This makes it an excellent choice for those looking to reduce unhealthy fats in their food. The flavor of the watermelon enhances most dishes and adds an exciting and unique taste to your meals. So, if you’re looking to switch up your grilling technique, try introducing watermelon and experience outstanding results.
4. Preparing Your Watermelon Steaks for the Grill
Once you have your watermelon steaks cut and ready to go, it’s time to prepare them before placing them on the grill. Here are the steps to get perfectly cooked watermelon steaks:
- Cut slits into the sides of the steak and season them with herbs and spices such as black pepper, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, and paprika.
- Apply a light coating of oil to the steaks, such as olive oil or coconut oil. This will help them to stay moist and also develop a nice, browning on the exterior.
- Sprinkle both sides of the steak with some sea salt and optional sugar to caramelize on the grill.
Once you’ve seasoned your watermelon steaks, it’s time to fire up the grill. For best results, cook the steaks directly on the grate over high heat, flipping them once, turning down the heat if they’re getting too dark too quickly. In about five minutes, you’ll have perfectly seared watermelon steaks.
5. Adding Flavourful Toppings for Taste and Texture
The success and charm of a dish lies in the toppings you add! Tasty morsels on top not only bring beautiful textures, but add flavour that will elevate your dish to the heights of gastronomic perfection. Let us explore some of the potential toppings:
- Chopped Parsley: Brightens any dish with her fresh, fragrant, mild flavour. A few sprigs serve as a deliciously edible garnish.
- Sauteed Mushrooms: Impart an umami, earthy flavour to the palatte. Perfect on grilled steaks and roasted potatoes.
- Basil Leaves: For the the lovers of Italian cuisine, guiltless basil leaves bring a warm herbal flavour to the party with just a few sprinkles.
- Sesame Seeds: Bring a nutty crunch plus a flattering contrast to colour. Consider adding some to your slaw or crisps.
- Feta Cheese: Creamy and crumbly; feta cheese can take any dish to the next level. Great with salads, sandwiches, and Mediterranean dishes.
Contrast is the key to greatness! Don’t be afraid to mix and match: try salted caramel popcorn with bacon crumbles, or shredded cheese with gooseberries. If you’re looking for a crowd pleaser, drizzling honey over nuts such as almonds or walnuts is sure to delight your guests. The possibilities are endless, so have fun.
6. Tips and Tricks for Cooking Watermelon Steaks
Use the Right Knife: Using the wrong tool will not lead to the desired results when slicing up watermelon. For the perfect steak-like a cut, choose a chef’s knife with a wide blade – a serrated knife will make it much easier to cut through the tough yet juicy rind.
Avoid Overcooking: Cooking the watermelon steaks requires just a short time on the grill. Place the watermelon steak over medium-high heat and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, flipping once. Here are some tips to make sure they cook nicely:
- Lightly oil or butter the grates
- Use a spatula to press down the steak and get even contact and cooking
- Take off when interior is lightly caramelized
Don’t overcook the steak – it’s designed to be juicy and succulent and overcooking will remove these qualities. For the best flavour, serve slightly warm. Enjoy!
7. Serving Suggestions for the Perfect Summer BBQ
A summer BBQ party is everyone’s favorite outdoor activity. Make sure your party is perfect for the season by pairing your food with some delightful and unique possibilities. Here are a few suggestions that will make your BBQ the talk of the town.
- Non-alcoholic Drinks: Serve up novelty drinks like homemade lemonade, ice-tea, virgin cocktails or ice-cold slushies. For something a little bit special, mix freshly squeezed juices with sparkling water.
- Summer Salads: Satisfy your guests with light and refreshing salads. Choose a combination of fresh greens and vegetables, add herbs and acidic fruits like lemons or oranges. Have some lighter fare to spread out among the salmon and ribs.
Make sure to have something for everyone: vegan dishes, gluten-free sides and low-carb picks. Supplement your BBQ with a selection of delicious snacks. Try finger food like vegetable chips, nachos or homemade bruschetta. Other great options include pasta and rice salads, homemade pickles, and zesty guacamole.
8. Is Grilling Watermelon Safe?
Grilling watermelon can be quite a delightful surprise. Though it may seem quite unfamiliar and even strange at first, grilling watermelon can open up a whole new array of flavors. But is it safe to do?
The answer is yes. Grilling is a safe way to experience watermelon in an entirely new way. And, as with any other food, safety should still come first – ensure that proper food handling practices are followed, such as washing your hands thoroughly before and after each task. Taking these standard precautions, you can enjoy all the flavors that grilling watermelon can offer:
- Smoky char – Grilling the watermelon over a direct flame will caramelize the sugars and give it a subtle smoky flavor.
- Sweetness intensified – Cut the watermelon in half and grilled over the fire, it intensifies the sweetness of the melon.
- Zesty flavors – To spice it up, add some herbs, oil, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper, and get ready for an incredible burst of flavors.
9. What to Look for when Buying Watermelon for Grilling
With the increasing popularity of grilling watermelons, it can be hard to know what to look for when buying one for barbecuing. There are a few key things to consider to make sure you pick the perfect watermelon for grilling.
- Size: Firstly, it’s important to consider the size. Choose a melon that’s big enough to cook evenly, wherever it’s placed on a grill.
- Firmness: Secondly, examine the firmness of the melon. If it’s too soft, or too hard, it won’t cook well. Look for one that feels slightly firm when squeezing as this is the best one for grilling.
- Blemishes: Also, inspect for any blemishes on the rind. If it is too damaged, it won’t cook evenly. Look for one without any dents, bruises, or cracks.
Lastly, if you’re buying pre-cut melon pieces from a supermarket, check that all the pieces are still juicy and not turning brown. Once you’ve taken into account all these factors, you’ve got yourself the perfect watermelon for grilling.
10. Tasty Recipes to Savor that Watermelon Steak
Watermelon Steak with Chimichurri Sauce
This dish is sure to impress! For this recipe, you’ll need to cut a large seedless watermelon into steak-sized slices, then coat it in olive oil, rosemary, and black pepper and cook it on a hot grill until it has nice char marks. Serve the steak with a zesty homemade chimichurri sauce for a delicious combination of flavors.
Watermelon Steak Salad
For a light yet tasty meal, try this vibrant steak salad! Slice the watermelon into thick steak slices, dust with a hint of arrowroot flour, and fry it in a little olive oil until it’s golden brown. Arrange the steak slices over a bed of greens and your favorite vegetables and top with some crumbled feta cheese. Finish with a light olive oil dressing for a refreshing summer salad. Nothing says summer like the smell of watermelon sizzling on the grill. The next time you’re out enjoying the weather, why not give grilling watermelon a try? You’ll create amazing flavors, and maybe even a few memories along the way! Bon appétit!
Hi, my name is Luke Mitchell and I am a travel blogger based in Brisbane, Australia. I am the owner and creator of Arfra.org, the best blog about everything related to traveling in Australia. I have always had a passion for exploring new places and cultures and I decided to turn that passion into a career. I started Arfra.org to share my experiences and help others plan their own adventures in Australia.
I have traveled extensively throughout Australia and have a wealth of knowledge and tips to share. From the rugged outback to the beautiful beaches, I have been there and done that. I am also always on the lookout for the latest and greatest in the travel industry, so my readers can always expect to find the latest information on everything from hotels and resorts to tours and activities.
In my blog, I cover a wide range of topics including budget travel, luxury travel, family travel, and solo travel. I also share information on the best places to eat, drink, and shop, as well as the best outdoor activities and attractions.
When I am not traveling, you can find me in Brisbane where I call home. I love the city’s laid-back atmosphere and the great food and coffee scene. I also enjoy spending time with my friends and family, and taking my dog for long walks along the river.