Warm summer nights are the perfect time for enjoying a cookout with family and friends, and if you would like to try something new that will take your next backyard grill session to the next level, consider trying this unique twist – grilling up some Watermelon Steak! Juicy and flavorful, Watermelon Steak offers an unexpected spin on an outdoor classic. With just a few simple ingredients, you can enjoy a healthy, nutritious, and delicious plant-based meal that everyone can enjoy.
1. Fire Up the Grill and Get Ready to Try a Different Kind of Steak
Are you ready to take your steak dish from ordinary to extraordinary? Then why not fire up the grill and give a new cut of steak a try? With the vast variety of options available, it can be hard to know exactly which steak to pick when you’re ready to impress. Here are our go-to steaks that you should try out:
- Flank Steak: the perfect grill steak, packs plenty of beefy flavor with a hint of tenderness
- Coulotte Steak: an intense and full-flavored steak that has a lower fat content than most
- Tri-Tip Steak: this unique-shaped triangle of steak has many ardent fans because of its amazing texture and taste
Choose one of these succulent steaks and cook them up on the grill for a truly unbeatable dining experience. Whether you prefer to prepare your steak medium-rare, rare, or well-done, the juicy taste and melt-in-your-mouth texture of the perfect steak can’t be matched. So fire up the grill, grab a juicy steak and enjoy the meal that has been perfected by the art of grilling.
2. Watermelon Steak: An Unconventional, Yet Scrumptious Addition to Your Meal
The Unusual Choice
Watermelon steak is an unusual, yet delightful way to add a healthy twist to your meal. If you’ve been looking for a new way to incorporate fruit into your diet, this is one you should definitely try out. This dish doesn’t require any special cooking techniques either, so it’s perfect for those who are intimidated by the stove. All you’ll need is a few simple ingredients:
- Black pepper
- Garlic powder
- Chili powder
Aside from being an extremely unusual way to have a steak, watermelon steak is a surprisingly tasty dish. The combination of the sweet watermelon, savory seasonings and a hint of smokiness from the chili powder is a flavor sensation. You can serve these steaks up as a main dish, or maybe even a side – either way you won’t be disappointed.
3. The Benefits of Grilling Watermelon Steak
Grilling watermelon steak has become a popular way to enjoy a delicious summer-inspired meal in a healthier way. Forget the typical grilled steak, now you can enjoy a slice of watermelon grilled to perfection. Here are a few reasons why grilling watermelon steak is the way to go:
- Low in fat – With only 4g of fat per 100g, grilling watermelon steak is significantly lower in fat than traditional steaks.
- High in nutrients – Not only does it contain many vitamins, minerals, and even some proteins, it also has beneficial plant-based compounds known as phytonutrients which contribute to the overall health of your body.
- Flavourful – You don’t have to sacrifice flavour when you choose to try grilling watermelon steak. Even with natural wood chips, you can bring out its sweet, smoky taste that can’t be beat.
Grilling watermelon steak is also an impressive dish for entertaining. Add a few spices and you can be sure that your guests will be impressed with the unique flavour of grilling watermelon steak. Pro tip – Let the slices sit for a few minutes before serving in order to really get those flavours to pop! Grilling watermelon steak is a delicious, healthy, and flavourful way to enjoy a summer meal whether you’re entertaining or just lounging in the backyard.
4. How to Cut and Prepare Watermelon Steak
Step 1: Slice
Cut the watermelon into round slices, about 1 inch thick. Make sure the slices are even, so your steaks all cook evenly.
Step 2: Prep for the Grill
- Brush each side of the slice with a light coating of vegetable oil.
- Sprinkle with your favorite seasonings, such as salt and pepper, or cayenne pepper.
- Optional: Grill a couple thin slices of bacon and place on top of slice and secure with a toothpick.
If you’re using a gas grill, heat it to 375-400F, and preheat a clean and greased grill grate. Grill the watermelon slices for 1-2 minutes per side, or until get nice grill marks on each side. If you’re using a charcoal grill, wait until it’s nice and hot before adding the steaks. Grill for 1-2 minutes per side, using a metal spatula to carefully turn over the slices.
5. The Best Marinade and Spice Combinations
When it comes to grilling, the perfect combination of marinade and spices can make or break the richness and flavor of your dish. Here are five flavorful combinations that are sure to take your grilled food to the next level!
- Honey and Soy Sauce: The perfect pairing for grilled chicken, this classic combination combines the sweetness of honey with savory soy and a hint of heat for a balanced meal.
- Garlic, Oregano, and Olive Oil: Perfect for adding Mediterranean flair to salmon, this delicious combination of garlic, oregano, lemon, and olive oil offers a hint of coastal flavor.
- Cumin, Paprika and Lime: This tasty trio makes for an all-around great flavor for any grilled meat. Cumin adds a warming touch while paprika adds a subtle spice and lime provides a bit of zing.
- Apple Cider Vinegar and Brown Sugar: A surefire way to jazz up any pork tenderloin, this sweet and tangy blend of apple cider vinegar and brown sugar is a match made in heaven.
- Ginger, Teriyaki, and Sesame: For a touch of Asian flavor, teriyaki, ginger, and sesame make a delightful trio to brighten up any grilled veggie dish.
Whichever combination of marinade and spices you choose, your taste buds and dinner guests are sure to be delighted. So don’t be afraid to experiment and try out different flavor combinations – the only limit is your imagination!
6. Cooking Watermelon Steak on the Grill: Step by Step Guide
Grilling a watermelon steak can be a surprisingly delicious way to enjoy this refreshing fruit. Here is a simple, step-by-step guide to get you started on your watermelon steak grilling journey:
- Preparing the Watermelon: Slice the watermelon into thick, round pieces—similar to a steak. Cut the rind off each slice. Further cut them into 3-inch cubes.
- Marinating the Watermelon: Place the cubes in a large bowl and toss them generously with sea salt, fresh lime juice, and any other desired spices (cilantro, chili and garlic powder, etc.). Allow the pieces to sit and marinate for at least 10 minutes.
Next, fire up the grill! Arrange the watermelon cubes onto the heat-resistant grill pan and cook for about 4 minutes, or until the cubes are lightly browned. Flip the cubes, cook for another 4 minutes, and voilà—perfect, succulent watermelon steak is ready! Serve the cubes warm with extra lime wedges and enjoy!
7. Tips to Achieve Perfectly Grilled Watermelon Steak
Select the Best Watermelon
When selecting a watermelon for the perfect steak, it is essential to determine how much juice the watermelon has. Usually, watermelons with an excessive amount of green outside are juicier and thus, the best for steak. Additionally, thump the top of the melon near its stem; if it sounds hollow, then it’s ready. Make sure that the watermelon is firm and has no soft spots.
Grill the Watermelon Steak
To make the most out of this dish, the right way to grill it is key. Heat the grill for 10 minutes and brush the grill grates with oil to avoid the steak from sticking. Cut the watermelon in thick 1-inch slices and brush them lightly with oil and season with salt, pepper and herbs to taste. Place the steak on the preheated grill and cook for 3-4 minutes per side, or until grill marks appear. Once both sides are seared, transfer the steak to a plate. Serve the juicy watermelon steak with favourite toppings such as feta cheese, hebs, garlic and mint leaves.
8. Pairs Well With: Delicious Sides for Watermelon Steak
When it comes to preparing watermelon steak, there is no need to limit yourself to the perfect pairing. With a variety of savory sides to choose from, you can create the perfect combination to complement your beautiful, juicy steak. Here are 8 delicious sides that make watermelon steak a standout dish:
- Grilled Vegetables: Nothing pairs better with a succulent meaty steak than a medley of crunchy, vibrant vegetables. Consider grilling zucchini, bell pepper, mushrooms, and squash to bring out the umami flavor.
- Herby Potatoes: Give your potatoes some zing with a healthy dose of herbs and spices. Parsley, basil, oregano, garlic powder and cilantro tossed in olive oil and salt will give your potatoes a deliciously bold flavor.
- Rice Pilaf: A savory side of cooked rice cooked with onion, peppers, mushrooms, and spices is a delicious way to round out a flavorful steak supper.
If you’re looking for something a little lighter and healthier, try out these wonderful alternatives: crunchy roasted potatoes, a simple salad made with an array of vegetables, or a light risotto loaded with vegetables.
- Quinoa Salad: Quinoa is a healthy, high-protein alternative to potatoes and pasta. Consider a flavorful mix of cucumber, tomato, onion, and herbs in a simple lemon vinaigrette.
- Couscous: Whether you steam or boil couscous, it pairs wonderfully with steak. Add in fresh herbs, raisins, and toasted nuts to give it a burst of flavor.
- Green Beans & Pistachios: Bright green beans and pistachios lightly sautéed in olive oil and garlic are a terrific side for Watermelon steak.
9. Grilling Up Watermelon Steak – What You Need to Know
Watermelon steak has become increasingly popular in recent times. Unlike a traditional steak, watermelon steak is a delicious concoction made from cucumber and recently, watermelon. To successfully grill a watermelon steak, it’s important to be aware of a few essential steps.
What You Need:
- A fresh watermelon
- Sharp knife
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
Once all the necessary ingredients are gathered, it’s time to move on to the preparation of the steak.
Carefully slice the watermelon into thick steaks that resemble burger patties. Make sure the steaks are around an inch thick to ensure that they cook thoroughly. Now, coat the watermelon in olive oil to prevent them from sticking to the grill, and add some salt and pepper for flavor. Heat up the grill and place the steaks on it for about three minutes on each side.
When ready, these succulent steaks can be served hot and can be enjoyed with salad or even served as a vegan main course. You can also add additional seasoning to the steaks to give them a more intense flavor.
10. It’s Time to Spice Up Your Grilling Experience: Try Watermelon Steak Today!
Forget the same old BBQ staples—it’s time to add some excitement and flavor to your grilling experience. Watermelon steak is the perfect way to switch things up a bit. Not only is it super delicious, but it’s a great way to incorporate some fresh, vitamin-packed fruit into your meal.
This unique dish is easy to make and you’ll definitely turn some heads when bringing it to the cookout. Here are some of its benefits:
- Healthy: Watermelon is packed with vitamin C and antioxidants, making it a healthy addition to any meal.
- Tasty: It has a great sweet taste, perfect for grilling. The smell alone is enough to make your mouth water.
- Unique: Serve watermelon steak at your next gathering and show off your creative side.
So the next time you fire up the grill, switch things up and give watermelon steak a try—you won’t be disappointed! So go ahead and fire up the grill and wow your friends and family with some delicious and healthy watermelon steaks! For an extra twist, try grilling up parmesan-crusted watermelon feta steaks. Now that’s a summer grilling meal they won’t soon forget!
Hi, my name is Luke Mitchell and I am a travel blogger based in Brisbane, Australia. I am the owner and creator of Arfra.org, the best blog about everything related to traveling in Australia. I have always had a passion for exploring new places and cultures and I decided to turn that passion into a career. I started Arfra.org to share my experiences and help others plan their own adventures in Australia.
I have traveled extensively throughout Australia and have a wealth of knowledge and tips to share. From the rugged outback to the beautiful beaches, I have been there and done that. I am also always on the lookout for the latest and greatest in the travel industry, so my readers can always expect to find the latest information on everything from hotels and resorts to tours and activities.
In my blog, I cover a wide range of topics including budget travel, luxury travel, family travel, and solo travel. I also share information on the best places to eat, drink, and shop, as well as the best outdoor activities and attractions.
When I am not traveling, you can find me in Brisbane where I call home. I love the city’s laid-back atmosphere and the great food and coffee scene. I also enjoy spending time with my friends and family, and taking my dog for long walks along the river.