As soon as the summer grilling season hits, it’s time to fire up the barbecue and look for creative entrée options outside of traditional burger and hot dog fare. Watermelon steaks provide a sweet and savory way to step up your grilling game and surprise your friends and family this summer with juicy, delicious steaks that take minutes to prepare and cook. Get ready to become a master of the grill with our perfect watermelon steak recipe!
1. Harness the Allure of Grilled Watermelon Steaks
Grilled watermelon steaks are an incredibly tasty and visually spectacular sensation that will add an extraordinary twist to any dinner party. Utilizing fresh watermelon to create this unique dish is a great way to tantalize the taste-buds of your guests. Here’s how you can take advantage of this culinary delight.
- Select watermelon that is not too ripe and thick-skinned.
- Slice the watermelon into thick slabs (about 2 inches thick).
- Heat up your grill. Once hot, lightly brush some oil or butter on the grates.
- Using tongs or a spatula, place the watermelon steaks on the grill.
- Grill for 2-3 minutes on each side. You should sear both sides, allowing a pleasant char to form.
Finishing Off – The grilled watermelon steaks can be served as is, or with a squeeze of lemon juice, a splash of balsamic vinegar, or a drizzle of honey. It can also be served as part of a salad, topped with fresh herbs, ricotta cheese and slices of prosciutto. The possibilities are endless!
2. Preparing to Grill: Recipe & Tips
Grilling is an artform and there are lots of tricks and tips to help you get it right. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need to get prepared.
- BBQ essentials: charcoal/propane, lighter fluid, matchbox, tongs, forks and spoons, food thermometer
- Marinades: your favorite recipes or pre-bought products
- Spices: from the conventional ones to the most exotic
- Side dishes: from salads to potatoes, whatever you like
Now let’s talk about the recipes. Experiment and create your own marinate for sweet and sour chicken, for instance. Try to combine ingredients like soy sauce, dark soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar and lemon juice according to your taste and serve it with some roasted tomatoes and mushrooms. If you’re looking for something classic, why not try the famous BBQ ribs? Use a whiskey-based marinade or the one with Honey-Chipotle and top it off with a sprinkle of smoked paprika.
3. Unlocking the Secrete to Perfectly Juicy Watermelon Steaks
So you want those delicious watermelon steaks that melt in your mouth? Well, you’re in luck! We’ve got the secret to making them perfectly juicy.
Let’s dive right into the techniques that will make all difference:
- Pick the right watermelon: Make sure to check out the watermelons in the store before buying. Pick a large and heavy one, since you’ll be cutting it into steaks. It should also have an even and symmetrical shape.
- Pre-Cut the Watermelon: Once you get the watermelon home, pre-cut it into thick steaks before cooking. This way it’ll be easier to handle and you’ll still be able to get nice and even slices!
- Timing is Key: It’s important to keep an eye on the temperature of your steaks. Too hot and the outside will be overdone and dry, too cool and it won’t cook all the way through.
- Go for a Brine: For added juiciness, brine your freshly pre-cut steaks in salt water for 15 minutes. This will ensure that all the flavors are nicely infused and your steaks will be as juicy as ever.
By following these simple steps, you’ll have perfectly juicy watermelon steaks in no time. Just make sure to invite your friends over to enjoy them!
4. Marinating Your Watermelon: A Guide
Marinating Your Watermelon: Easy, Tasty Results
A surprisingly delicious treat, marinated watermelon is easy to make and full of flavour. All it takes is just a few simple steps, and you can create a sweet, zesty watermelon that’s sure to impress.
To begin: gather your ingredients. You’ll need:
- 1 medium sized watermelon
- ½ cup lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 ½ tablespoons of honey
Start by scrubbing the watermelon with a clean cloth and removing any blemishes or bumps. Cut the watermelon into slices and arrange them artfully on a plate. Begin drizzling the slices with lime juice and finish with a sprinkle of sea salt and honey. Let the slices sit in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving.
Taste the watermelon after marinating and add more lime juice, sea salt and honey if desired. When finished, the watermelon slices should be sweet, a bit tart and slightly salty. Enjoy your marinated watermelon as a snack, a side dish or part of a fruit salad for a delicious, summery treat.
5. Fire it Up: Time to Grill
Nothing brings people together quite like a backyard barbecue. With the sizzling smell of freshly grilled goodies, summer gatherings over hearty food is a great way to celebrate. Get the party started by firing up the barbecue.
- Gather the Goods: Gather all the grilling necessities such as charcoal, lighter fluid, tongs, spatulas and a plate or bowl.
- Start the Blaze: Light your charcoal and allow it to burn until its covered in gray-white ash. Once that’s done, spread it evenly over the bottom of the grill.
- Heat It Up: Gently brush off the grill with a metal brush, close the lid and adjust the heat. Average grilling temperature should be around 350-degrees.
Now that the heat’s on, get creative with your burger toppings. Mix in spices, grate cheese or top your burger with grilled onions. Experiment with condiments or marinades. The possibilities are endless. Let the grilling fun begin!
6. Outdoor Grilling vs Indoor Grilling
When it comes to grilling, there is a clear debate over whether indoor or outdoor grilling is best for producing delicious dishes. Each has its own unique set of benefits and drawbacks, so we’re here to break down the comparisons of grilling inside and outside.
Advantages of Outdoor Grilling:
- Enjoy the fresh air, sunshine and feeling of outdoor cooking
- Controllable heat not limited to a stovetop or oven
- Smoke and aromas created by the charcoal or wood impart an unmistakable taste to your dishes
Benefits of Indoor Grilling:
- Private, safe space to cook – great for families with small children
- Grills tend to be more stable on a stovetop or electrical hot plate
- No need to worry about weather conditions affecting your dish
At the end of the day, it ultimately comes down to preference. Whether you’re invigorated by a backyard barbeque experience or equally content with the convenience of an indoor electric grill, each have their place on the dinner table. Make your decision based on what’s best for your meal and for your home.
7. Mastering the Grill Time: Tips & Tricks
Grilling time is an activity the whole family enjoys. Make grilling time even more enjoyable by mastering the grill! Easily breeze through the grueling task with these great tips and tricks.
- Check Temperature – Before cooking, make sure the temperature is right. It should be high enough to create tasty and crisp barbecued foods, but not so high that it causes flare-ups.
- Prepare – Make sure you mince, marinate and pre-cook in order to maximize flavor and minimize cooking time.
- Safety First – Grilling is fun but make sure you stay alert and never leave your station, as it could cause serious accidental burns.
Once you’ve done these things, all that’s left is to have a good time! Grill a myriad of food from burgers and ribs to vegetables and fruits and keep your family’s taste buds ever interested. Grill up some great nosh for the gusto and maybe even sprinkle some herbs for a delightful aromatic flavor!
8. Toppings, Tasties, & Sauces: What Pairs Best with Grilled Watermelon Steaks?
Grilled watermelon steak is the perfect summer treat: it’s sweet, juicy, and surprisingly flavorful. But like any good steak, the perfect melody of sauces and toppings turn it from great to a true gourmet experience.
Whether you like your steaks nice and creamy or refreshingly clean, you’ll love the range of possible toppings you can add. Try enhancing your steak with a sprinkle of sharp feta cheese, a tart salsa, or a light Balsamic reduction. The perfect balance of sweetness and saltiness is achieved with a touch of fresh basil, or some toasted sesame seeds. If a creamier topping is more your thing, a dollop of pesto or Cashew cream go perfectly with the watermelon steak.
- Feta cheese
- Balsamic reduction
- Fresh basil
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Cashew cream
9. A Pitcher of Refreshers: Drinks to Enjoy with Grilled Watermelon Steaks
Nothing quite compares to the flavour of grilled watermelon steaks. The perfect blend of sweet and savoury, these juicy and fragrant morsels make the ideal side dish to any summertime barbecue. To complete your meal, why not pair them with a delicious pitcher of summer refreshers? Here are a few recipes to get you started:
- Lemon Sour: Stir together equal parts lemon juice and honey and top with cold sparkling water. Garnish with a sprig of mint for a refreshing burst of flavour.
- Tequila Highball: Mix a shot of tequila with freshly-squeezed lime juice and a tablespoon of agave syrup. Top with soda water and serve with a wedge of lime.
- Mojito: Combine rum, raw sugar, and a generous amount of fresh mint leaves. Muddle to release the fragrant oils, then top with club soda. Add a wedge of lime for an extra kick.
No matter which of these beverages you choose to enjoy with your grilled watermelon steak, it’s sure to please your taste buds. So go ahead and raise a glass to the delight of summertime flavours!
10. Enjoying Grilled Watermelon Steaks: Step-by-Step Guide
Grilled watermelon steaks deliver a delicious, nutritious, and vegan-friendly summer side dish. A staple of vegetarian grilling, these smoky slices are loved by even the meat-eaters too. Follow this step-by-step guide to create mouth-watering watermelon steaks in your own backyard.
- Slice watermelon lengthwise into 1.5- to 2-inch steaks.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the steaks on both sides with a marinade of your choice.
- Next, preheat your grill to medium-high.
- Carefully place the watermelon steaks on the grill. Grill for 3-5 minutes per side, until you get attractive grill marks.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Feel free to experiment with different marinades. Citrus-based marinades work particularly well with watermelon. You can also sprinkle salt, pepper and other spices to add a little extra flavor. And why not top with some fresh mint or lime juice? These easy, tasty watermelon steaks are sure to soon become your go-to summertime treat.
Grilling watermelon steaks is a great way to add a whole new level to your summer grilling routine. You may think this sweet, juicy fruit is out of place in a smoker, but with a few simple grilling skills, you can serve up the most perfectly juicy watermelon steak this summer. Get the grill hot and try out this delicious grilling technique today!
Hi, my name is Luke Mitchell and I am a travel blogger based in Brisbane, Australia. I am the owner and creator of Arfra.org, the best blog about everything related to traveling in Australia. I have always had a passion for exploring new places and cultures and I decided to turn that passion into a career. I started Arfra.org to share my experiences and help others plan their own adventures in Australia.
I have traveled extensively throughout Australia and have a wealth of knowledge and tips to share. From the rugged outback to the beautiful beaches, I have been there and done that. I am also always on the lookout for the latest and greatest in the travel industry, so my readers can always expect to find the latest information on everything from hotels and resorts to tours and activities.
In my blog, I cover a wide range of topics including budget travel, luxury travel, family travel, and solo travel. I also share information on the best places to eat, drink, and shop, as well as the best outdoor activities and attractions.
When I am not traveling, you can find me in Brisbane where I call home. I love the city’s laid-back atmosphere and the great food and coffee scene. I also enjoy spending time with my friends and family, and taking my dog for long walks along the river.