Ahhh summer – the smell of BBQs firing up, the sound of laughter ringing through the air and the sight of, watermelon steak? Yes, you heard right: Watermelon steak. If you thought grilling couldn’t get any better this season, think again. Put away your typical hotdogs and hamburgers; it’s time to grab a melon and get your grill on!
1. Taste Summertime Grilling with Watermelon Steak!
Make sure your summer grilling is as delicious and unique as it is memorable with these watermelon steaks! It’s an easy, healthy and novel way to bring the family together this summer.
Slice your watermelon in thick segments and marinate them in a mixture of olive oil, vinegar, and seasoning. Place on the grill and let cook for few minutes until the watermelon begins to caramelize. Serve your “steak” with a bed of leafy greens, or a prepared salad for extra flavor. The combination of crunchy lettuce and juices from the cooked watermelon creates a delightful display of summer flavors that is sure to delight.
- Ingredients: Watermelon, olive oil, vinegar, seasoning
- Instructions: Slice the watermelon into thick segments, marinate in olive oil, vinegar, and seasoning; grill on both sides until caramlized.
2. A Refreshingly Unique Grilling Experience
Grilling is a beloved event for many in the summer time and it definitely has its own specific set of tools and techniques. To make your next grilling outing extra special and unique, let’s look at a few options to make any meal a tasty one!
Smoke It Up: When it comes to grilling, don’t forget to experiment with smoking techniques. Whether it’s your favorite piece of meat, vegetable, fruit, or even cheese, smoking will take it to the next level. All it takes is a smoker and some of your favorite chips or logs.
- Grill with Gas: Although charcoal provides the classic smoky goodness, gas can offer a nice, even heat for your food. Plus, you can add in some wood chips to achieve the same flavors.
- New-Age Tools: High-tech BBQ tools such as digitally controlled grills, wireless thermometers, and even grills you can control via your wifi are now available to give you even greater control over your dishes.
- Substitute Grilling: Infrared and microwaves also make great grilling substitutes. Try them out with your favorite marinades, sauces, and spices to take your food to the next level.
Whatever you decide, it’s always a great idea to step out of the box and try something new. Make the most of your next grilling event with these rethinkingme tips, and you’ll have a totally unique and tasty experience!
3. All the Benefits of Watermelon for the Grill
Watermelons Will Give Your Grill a Sweet Enticement
We all know that grilling is one of the best ways to enjoy the flavors of summer. You can spice up your outdoor meals with a perfect side or addition that will bring an enticing flavor – watermelon! Here are some of the benefits of using the juicy and sweet watermelon for the grill:
- Adding watermelon to marinades elevates the flavors of your meat or veggies for an exquisite taste that you’ll remember
- It’s a healthy way to add a special zesty flavor to shrimp or salmon
- The grilling process caramelizes the sugars of the watermelon, leading to a surprisingly smoky flavor
- The sweet juice of watermelon pairs well with chicken and vegetables, creating a sizzling meal that’s unique and enjoyable
It’s easy to use watermelon for the grill and the options are endless. So why not give your grilled recipes a delicious upgrade that your family and friends won’t soon forget?
4. Turning Your Watermelon Into the Main Course
Watermelon can be used in a variety of ways, far beyond its traditional use as an accompaniment to a summer BBQ. Why not use it as the main course?
With only a few simple steps, you can easily turn your watermelon into an impressive main dish. Here’s how to do it:
- Step 1: Cut the watermelon in half down the middle.
- Step 2: Scoop out the innards of the watermelon, leaving a deep hollow in the middle of it.
- Step 3: Fill the watermelon with your choice of fillings, such as tuna, chicken, shrimp, or a combination of vegetables.
- Step 4: Top the watermelon with cheese, melted butter, a sprinkle of herbs, or whatever else you like.
- Step 5: Place the watermelon on a baking tray and bake it in the oven until the cheese melts and the fillings are cooked.
And there you have it, your very own watermelon main course! Not only is it a colorful, eye-catching dish, but it is also sure to delight your guests. Enjoy!
5. Preparing Your Watermelon Steak
Once you have your fresh watermelon, it’s time to prepare it for cooking. Here are the steps to prepping your watermelon steak:
- Cut the watermelon into “steaks”: Start by cutting the round into slices at least 1 inch thick. Cut the middle slices into larger triangles – these will be your watermelon steaks.
- Slice off the crust: Trim off the hard outer edge of the steak by cutting it off with a very sharp knife. This edge is both tougher and less flavorful than the rest of the watermelon.
- How much to cut: For best results, you should aim for 2 inches of exposed flesh on each side of the steak.
Once your watermelon steaks are prepped, you can proceed with seasoning, marinating or grilling. Watermelon meat grills well and has a natural sweetness that accents flavors like lime, cilantro, chili, or other seasonings you might use. Bon appétit!
6. To Marinade or Not?
The decision to marinade your protein can be a tough one. But the good news is that there are valid benefits to both methods. Let’s take a look at the pros and cons of marinading.
- Tenderizing – Marinades help break down the tough fibers in proteins, making them more tender when cooked
- Flavor Infusion – The molecules in a marinade help carry flavorful compounds deep into the protein, infusing maximum flavor into each bite
- Protection – Historically, marinades were used as protection for lean proteins against the intense heat of an open flame.
- Timing – Proteins need time to soak up the marinade, so if you’re pressed for time, you might need to skip out on marinading
- Toughness – Don’t marinade too long or that same tenderizing might backfire, turning those moments of tenderness into rubbery and tough bites
- Unhealthy – Lock in too much flavor and you could be taking in extra sodium and preservatives with your meal
So where do you stand? Should your proteins marinade or be left au natural? The answer is ultimately up to you and your preferences. Fortunately, there’s no wrong answer!
7. Essential Grilling Tips for Your Watermelon
One of the most unique and flavorful dishes you can make on a grill is grilled watermelon. Not only does the pink juicy fruit combine perfectly with the smoky flavor of the cooked meat, it can also be a healthy addition to your summer BBQ.
To ensure your grilled watermelon is delicious, here are some :
- Choose a ripe watermelon that is firm and has a smooth, bright rind.
- Cut the watermelon into thick slices. Thin slices tend to dry out quickly and won’t stay juicy when grilled, so it’s important to cut them in thicker slices, about ¾” thick.
- Sprinkle the watermelon slices with sugar and a tiny bit of salt to enhance the flavor.
- Grill the watermelon slices for 3-4 minutes on each side. You’ll know the watermelon slices are ready to turn when they start to change color and get grill marks.
- Let them cool down a bit before serving. Too hot and they can become tough and chewy.
Grilled watermelon makes a wonderful, light summer treat. With these essential grilling tips, you can visit your next BBQ party with a refreshing summer delight.
8. The Perfect Compliment – Sauces, Herbs and Spices
To take your dish from good to sensational, all you need is the perfect compliment. With an arsenal of sauces, herbs, and spices, you can achieve any flavor you desire.
- Sauces – Sweet and sour, teriyaki, Worcestershire, and tartar are just a few of the sauces you can use to enhance the taste of your dish. Plus, with a variety of consistencies and regions, sauces offer a unique way to bring out the depths of flavor in your meal.
- Herbs – Whether it be thyme, basil, oregano, or rosemary, herbs can breathe life into a dish. Depending on the cuisine and the recipe, you can mix and match herbs to make sauces, season soup, and top salads.
- Spices – Add punch and pop to a meal with a wide range of spices. From cumin to cinnamon, cardamom to cloves, you can explore different tastes, mix flavors, and build complexity when combining spices.
Once you’ve finished cooking, adding sauces, herbs, and spices can elevate the flavor of your meal. With the right balance and combination, the perfect compliment of sauces, herbs, and spices will take your dish from ordinary to extraordinary!
9. Serving Up Your Summertime Slice of Grilled Watermelon
Summertime is here, and with it comes the perfect opportunity to break out the grill and enjoy some juicy deliciousness. Grilled watermelon is a delectable treat – one that will set your taste buds ablaze with joy! Here are some tips for serving up the perfect summertime slice.
Choose an Ideal Melon: Choose a good-looking, ripe watermelon for maximum flavor. Give it a poke with your thumbs – it should be slightly soft, but not too soft. On the inside, it should be a deep red-pink color. Additionally, the sweet smell of the rind should be distinct but not too strong.
- Have the necessary ingredients on hand
- Prepare the watermelon by slicing it into 1-inch thick rounds
- Brush each side of your slices with oil and season with salt, pepper and any other spices of choice
- Grill the slices on both sides until they’re golden brown and slightly caramelized
- Serve with a sprinkling of your favorite herbs to add extra flavor
- Enjoy your delicious grilled watermelon!
10. Get Creative: Ideas for Making Watermelon Steak Your Own
Turn Up the Heat: If you like a sweetness with a kick, there are plenty of ways to make watermelon steak your own. Add a few dashes of your favorite hot sauce to really turn up the flavor. Or get creative with a different type of spicy seasoning to your liking.
Add-Ons: Get creative and combine flavors to create something totally new. Top your watermelon steak with roasted nuts, thin slices of lime, freshly diced mangoes, or a salsa of your choice. The possibilities are endless!
- Hot sauce, to give it a spicy kick
- Spicy seasoning, depending on your taste
- Roasted nuts, to add texture
- Thin slices of lime, for a hint of citrus
- Freshly diced mangoes, to add sweetness
- A salsa, to brighten up the flavor
As the days heat up and the sun beats down, take a slice of summer home in the form of a watermelon steak. Grill up a smoky-sweet and savory treat that’s as refreshing as it is easy. With every bite, you’ll be reminded that summer is a time to relax and enjoy the moment — no matter where you are.
Hi, my name is Luke Mitchell and I am a travel blogger based in Brisbane, Australia. I am the owner and creator of Arfra.org, the best blog about everything related to traveling in Australia. I have always had a passion for exploring new places and cultures and I decided to turn that passion into a career. I started Arfra.org to share my experiences and help others plan their own adventures in Australia.
I have traveled extensively throughout Australia and have a wealth of knowledge and tips to share. From the rugged outback to the beautiful beaches, I have been there and done that. I am also always on the lookout for the latest and greatest in the travel industry, so my readers can always expect to find the latest information on everything from hotels and resorts to tours and activities.
In my blog, I cover a wide range of topics including budget travel, luxury travel, family travel, and solo travel. I also share information on the best places to eat, drink, and shop, as well as the best outdoor activities and attractions.
When I am not traveling, you can find me in Brisbane where I call home. I love the city’s laid-back atmosphere and the great food and coffee scene. I also enjoy spending time with my friends and family, and taking my dog for long walks along the river.