There’s nothing quite like the feeling of summer, the sun beating down around you and the sound of the barbecue crackling in the background. If you’re looking to create an extraordinary summer feast, look no further – Watermelon Steak is the perfect dish. A delectable combination of sweet and savory, this surprisingly simple recipe will add a delicious twist to your next grill-out.
1. Sizing Up a Delicious Summer Grilling Showstopper: Watermelon Steak
Watermelon Steak: It’s time to grill!
Nothing is more exciting in the summer than grilling up amazing meals. And this summer, your grilling spread just isn’t complete without a delicious watermelon steak. The unique flavor and texture of a watermelon steak will make it a showstopper on your plate. It’s definitely worth the effort.
Making a watermelon steak involves simple slicing and grilling. All you need to do is cut the watermelon into thin slices, brush with oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and let the grill do its magic. It won’t take long for them to caramelize and get delicious notes of smokiness. Serve your watermelon steak with a drizzle of your favorite dressing and you’ll have an amazing meal.
Before grilling, you should pay attention to the thickness of your watermelon slices. You want them to be thick enough to not break apart while grilling, but thin enough to get a nice sear. It’s best to aim for somewhere between 1/2 – 3/4 inch thick to get that perfect steak.
Remember, the most important part of grilling is to enjoy it! So take your time, season and grill to your preference, and get deliciously creative with the toppings. Bon appetit!
2. An Unconventional Protein Choice for the Grilling Enthusiast
If you’re a grilling enthusiast looking to add some diversity to your repertoire, then look no further than an unconventional protein choice: kofta. Kofta is a mélange of Middle Eastern and North African spices, rolled together with lamb, beef or veal, and then grilled to perfection.
To indulge in a unique dining experience with kofta, here is what you’ll need:
- Lamb, beef or veal
- Ground spices, such as cumin, cinnamon, allspice, cardamom and coriander
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
In a bowl, mix together the lamb mince, onion, garlic, ground spices, salt and pepper. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add a tablespoon of olive oil. Once the oil is hot, shape 4-5 oz. of the kofta mixture into small patties or “meatballs” and place them in the skillet. Fry the kofta for a few minutes on each side, until they are browned and slightly crispy. Then, slide the kofta onto skewers, brush each side lightly with olive oil, and place them on the preheated grill. Grill each side for about 10-12 minutes, or until the kofta are cooked through. Serve the kofta hot, with your favorite accompaniments.
3. Preparing Your Watermelon Steak For the Grill
A watermelon steak is a fun and delicious way to enjoy watermelon. Once you get them prepped and ready to go, grilling is the perfect way to bring out the sweet flavors of the melon. Here’s what you need to know before you get grilling:
- Cutting the Steaks: Begin by cutting your watermelon into 1-inch thick slices. Use a sharp knife to cut round discs, and then cut these discs into triangles or cubes. Have fun with different shapes and sizes to get the perfect steaks.
- Marinating:For a flavorful watermelon steak, you may want to marinate it. Choose a marinade of your choice and add some herbs or spices to it. Soak the steaks in the marinade for at least an hour, flipping them halfway through.
- Greasing the Grill:Prepare your grill by brushing it with a high-heat cooking oil. Make sure to coat the racks completely for easy release.
Once your grill is hot and your watermelon steak is ready, it’s time to start grilling. Place the steaks on the grill and cook them until they are lightly charred and charred edges start to form. Cook them for around 3-4 minutes per side, flip them and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
Try serving your watermelon steak with a side of freshly diced tomatoes, some leafy greens, and perhaps a little bit of extra marinade as a topping. Enjoy!
4. Adding Flavor to A Seasonal Favorite: Suggested Marinades and Dustings
When it comes to preparing your favorite seasonal dishes, you can always change the game by exploring creative ways to add flavor to your meals. If you’re looking to add a little something extra to your menus, here are some delicious marinades and dustings that have been tested and approved for any dish.
Start with a base of olive oil or an oil of your choice and then explore with different herbs and spices to find the perfect marinade for your dish. To make the most of your marinade try adding garlic, lemon juice, thyme, oregano, rosemary, bay leaves and chilies for a kick. Not only will it add flavor to whatever you’re cooking, but it will also tenderize the meat and add a wonderful aroma.
When it comes to dustings, the possibilities really are endless. Combinations like paprika and garlic, cinnamon and sugar, and cumin and chili powder are all great starters, but you can also get creative and add your own twist. Try different nut powders, herbs, and almond flour for a protein boost.
5. Take Extra Care: Grilling Timing Considerations
When it comes to grilling, timing is everything – every cut of meat has its own ideal cooking time range and as a result, making sure you have the perfect dish for your guests calls for a more precise approach. Nevertheless, with the right proactive plan in place, gradually improving your timing will come naturally.
Here are some tips to keep in mind when timing your grilled dishes:
- Prepare everything beforehand. Planning is the key and the time spent prepping the ingredients ahead prevents you from rushing the process at the last minute.
- Go low and slow. When grilling meat, try slowling down the cooking process and cook on low heat, as this will give you a more juicy, tender, and flavorful result.
- Go by temperature. When in doubt, try to stick by the temperature. You can easily find temperature guides by type of meat and cut online. Having a good quality cooking thermometer will come in handy here too.
- Take the meat off the grill a few minutes before the estimated cooking time. Cooking times are more of guidelines than exact time frames – due to fluctuating heat, the best way to make sure your grill is just perfect is to keep an eye on it and take it off the heat a few minutes earlier.
At the end of the day, all that matters is that you enjoy yourselves and in order to do that, you need food that is both delicious and cooked to perfection. Timing your grilled dishes is a key element to achieving that, but as they say – practice makes perfect.
6. Picking Out Perfectly Cooked Watermelon Steak
Inspect The Color
When it comes to inspecting watermelon steak for its cook level, color is king. A perfectly cooked steak should have a beautiful rosy hue across its flesh. If the steak still has a greenish-white tinge to it, it is definitely undercooked.
On the other hand, if you find a watermelon steak that’s darker than usual or has spots of darkening toward the edges, it has likely been overcooked. Make sure to give the steak a thorough examination before you decide if it’s perfect!
Interrogate The Texture
The second litmus test of a perfectly cooked watermelon steak is its texture. Gently press the steak a few times with your finger or a fork. A perfectly cooked steak will have a bit of give when pressed, but will still be firm.
A steak that’s too soft should definitely be discarded. If the steak seems to be unyieldingly hard when you press it, it is likely overcooked.
A few other key indicators of proper texture include:
- Oily discharge when slicing
- Melting edges
- Gorgeous grilling lines
7. Delightful Finishings: Toppings, Bases and Accompaniments
After the main course comes the dessert. Irresistible and indulgent, the sweet course wouldn’t be complete without a few special ingredients or toppings. From crunchy nuts and sticky syrups to creamy melted chocolates, everything’s up for grabs! Here are a few of our favorite topping recipes to make your dessert a perfect 10.
- Sprinkles: colorful and crunchy, these little doughy treat pieces will give any dessert a bright, festive edge.
- Whipped Cream: light and airy, whipped cream goes well with virtually any dessert, from cakes and puddings to ice cream.
- Chocolate Chips: a classic, these melty chips give any dish a rich and bittersweet finish.
- Fresh Berries: tart and juicy, these lovely fruits come in a variety of colors and flavors to bring a touch of energy to your dessert.
The classic dessert cannot be complete without a few finishing touches. From rich sauces to crunchy crumbles, these little extras heighten the flavors and textures, creating a perfect balance. Here are our favorite accompaniments to your delicious desserts.
- Nut Brittle: a classic candy, this buttery brittle can be topped on pies and pastries to give them a pleasant crunch.
- Caramel Drizzle: a classic toffee-like drizzle to pour over cakes, ice cream and sundaes.
- Coconut Shavings: sweet, fluffy and fragrant, these flakes go great with chocolate and vanilla.
- Fresh Mint Sprigs: their refreshing scent adds a special dimension to fruity and rich desserts.
8. An Alternative Take on an Imitation Steak
Whether you’re a vegetarian, vegan, or just looking for something new on the dinner table, imitation steak can be a delicious alternative. With a hint of smoky and umami flavor, imitation steak is versatile and easy to cook.
Start by slicing the imitation steak into thin strips, about ½ inch thick. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat, adding a tablespoon of cooking oil. Sauté the imitation steak for about 7 minutes, flipping the slices halfway. Once the steak slices are heated through and lightly browned, add your favorite seasonings. Some great ideas include garlic powder, chili powder, smoked paprika, and onion powder.
- Try out marinades. You could mix olive oil, lemon juice, and minced garlic and marinate the imitation steak before cooking it.
- Create a stir-fry. Add vegetables, such as peppers and mushrooms, to the imitation steak to make a flavorful stir-fry.
- Serve with sides. Cooked rice or potatoes pair nicely with imitation steak.
9. Remarks on the Uniqueness of Grilling a Watermelon Steak
Grilling a watermelon steak is an incredibly special culinary experience. Watermelon is not a common ingredient that you see often in grilled dishes, so cooking it in this way offers an exciting new taste sensation. Here are some of the highlights:
- A Novel Ingredient – The watermelon steak is full of flavor, since it’s brought out by the caramelization of the sugars in the fruit.
- Unique Texture – The grilling gives the outside of the watermelon steak a remarkable smoky crunch, while keeping the inside juicy and succulent.
It’s no wonder that grilling watermelon steak is becoming increasingly popular. It’s something you can easily whip up for a backyard BBQ or a special summer celebration. It provides the perfect balance of flavors and textures that will tantalize the tastebuds!
10. Show Off Your Grilling Skills: Eating & Enjoying Watermelon Steak
With grilling season in full effect, it’s the perfect time to fire up the BBQ and show off your skills with watermelon steak! This unique, grilled fruit dish is both tasty and refreshing, and is a perfect addition to any summer cookout.
- To prepare: Cut a large, ripe watermelon into thick wedges that are roughly the same size and shape as a traditional steak. Generously sprinkle with brown sugar, and then place each wedge on the hot grill. Let the fruit heat for 3-4 minutes per side, making sure the skins have caramelised and golden-browned.
- To serve: Place the grilled watermelon steak on a plate, garnish with fresh mint leaves, and squeeze over some lime juice for an added tartness. Enjoy your watermelon steak as a side to a juicy burger or alongside a tossed salad.
So there you have it: a unique, flavorful way to keep your summer mealtimes fun and exciting. Your friends and family will love the delicious Watermelon Steak, and you can even feel a bit proud knowing that you found a way to make grilling more sustainable. Now fire up the grill, and get your Watermelon Steak ready for a delicious, summery treat – bon appetit!
Hi, my name is Luke Mitchell and I am a travel blogger based in Brisbane, Australia. I am the owner and creator of Arfra.org, the best blog about everything related to traveling in Australia. I have always had a passion for exploring new places and cultures and I decided to turn that passion into a career. I started Arfra.org to share my experiences and help others plan their own adventures in Australia.
I have traveled extensively throughout Australia and have a wealth of knowledge and tips to share. From the rugged outback to the beautiful beaches, I have been there and done that. I am also always on the lookout for the latest and greatest in the travel industry, so my readers can always expect to find the latest information on everything from hotels and resorts to tours and activities.
In my blog, I cover a wide range of topics including budget travel, luxury travel, family travel, and solo travel. I also share information on the best places to eat, drink, and shop, as well as the best outdoor activities and attractions.
When I am not traveling, you can find me in Brisbane where I call home. I love the city’s laid-back atmosphere and the great food and coffee scene. I also enjoy spending time with my friends and family, and taking my dog for long walks along the river.