If you thought “steak” was exclusively a dish made from beef or pork, think again! Get ready to be surprised – the next frontier in steaks is the delicious and surprisingly mouth-watering watermelon steak. Discover how this new twist on classic steak can tantalize your taste buds with its highly unique flavor.
1. Introducing the Watermelon Steak: An Unconventional Treat
Watermelon steak is a surprisingly delicious and unusual take on the traditional summertime treat! Turn your summer BBQs up a notch and tantalize the taste buds of all your guests with this cool summertime creation.
Sundays are no longer just for burgers and steaks. Watermelon steaks are a great alternative to the classic steak dinner. Cut crosswise into large slices, the sweet, succulent watermelon takes on a steak-like consistency. To enhance its flavor, try this appealing seasoning combination:
- Cumin – a fragrant, smoky flavor that pairs particularly well with watermelon.
- Brown sugar – for a tantalizing hint of sweetness.
- Salt – for a subtle, balanced flavor.
Caramelize the steaks on a hot grill for an interesting and complex smokiness. Serve the juicy, tender watermelon steaks hot off the grill with a dollop of Greek yogurt, creamy horseradish sauce, or your favorite sauce.
2. An Unexpected Combination: Watermelon and Steak
You probably don’t want to pair a juicy steak with a slice of watermelon – but it’s a surprisingly delicious combination. While grilled steak is often served with fresh summer fruits, adding watermelon to the plate creates a unique sweet and savory flavor that’s irresistible.
Try marinating steak in olive oil, garlic, red pepper flakes and a few tablespoons of lime juice. Grill the steak to perfection and top with a few wedges of watermelon. The sweet and tart of the fruit will add a special twist to the steak and complement the savory spices and oil. You can also top the steak with a sprinkle of feta cheese, mint leaves and a drizzle of balsamic glaze.
- Marinate steak: olive oil, garlic, red pepper flakes, lime juice
- Grill steak to desired doneness
- Garnish: watermelon wedges, feta cheese, mint leaves, balsamic glaze
3. What Does It Taste Like?
The flavour of olive oil can come in all shapes and sizes, from grassy and peppery, to fruity and even sweet-tart. It’s like diving into a flavourful oasis!
The flavour of olive oil largely depends on the area in which the olives were grown and when they were harvested. Unripe olives tend to produce oils that are pungent and peppery, while ripe olives will give you a sweeter, fruitier result. However, even within the same crop, some olives are not ready to harvest at the same time so the oils will each have their own specific flavour components.
- Robust – Bouncy and full-bodied oil that has a prominent peppery finish
- Fruity – Aroma and flavour of fresh-cut grass and green apples
- Mild – Soft, light texture and milder spiciness
- Buttery – Rich, smooth and slightly nutty
4. Nutrition Facts – The Benefits of Watermelon
Watermelon is incredibly healthy and rich in antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. With only 46 calories per cup, watermelon is an excellent source of hydration and can provide your body with a host of nutrition benefits:
- Vitamins & Minerals: Watermelon is rich in vitamins A, B-6 and C, along with minerals like potassium, magnesium, zinc and phosphorous.
- Lycopene: Watermelon is the most concentrated source of the antioxidant lycopene in the American diet. Studies have shown that this powerful antioxidant can help reduce the risk of cancer and heart disease.
- Potassium: A single cup of watermelon provides about 15% of the recommended daily value of potassium. This nutrient helps your body stay hydrated and regulates muscle contractions, including those of the heart.
Watermelon is also a great source of dietary fiber, which helps keep your digestive system regular and promotes a healthy gut. Plus, watermelon is low in calories, making it a great snack when you’re watching your weight. So, add watermelon to your diet and reap the many benefits its nutrition facts have to offer!
5. Preparing Your Watermelon Steak
Summer is always the best season when it comes to cookouts, barbeques and other outdoor dining activities. Watermelon steak is one of the staples for these get-togethers. Prepare the perfect watermelon steak with these five easy steps.
- Choose your watermelon: Select a watermelon that is ripe and free from any imperfections. A yellow colour on the skin means it’s ready to eat. Make sure your melon is heavy for its size and weighs over 6-7 pounds.
- Cut: Start by cutting off the ends of the watermelon. Slice of a strip, about an inch thick, from the entire sides of the watermelon. These slices will be used for your steak.
Now that you have the watermelon steak, it’s ready for seasoning. For a classic flavour, season with a sprinkle of salt, pepper and a few smoky spices like paprika or cumin. If you enjoy a touch of sweetness in your steak, lightly sprinkle the steak with a bit of brown sugar. Finally, pour a little bit of olive oil on top to enhance the flavours.
6. The Perfect Side Dishes to Accompany Your Watermelon Steak
Grilled vegetables are the perfect partner to bring out the smoky taste of watermelon steak. Consider grilling a balanced mix of vegetables, like bell peppers, red onions, and zucchini, to give your steak dinner a vibrant finished look. Additionally, you can even toss in some mushrooms in olive oil and herbs.
For a sweet and savory side dish, try a fruity quinoa salad. You can make it with a mix of cooked quinoa, diced apples, feta cheese, and your favorite nuts — all served with a light balsamic vinaigrette. This colorful salad is an enjoyable way to tie together the flavors of the dish.
For more freshness, you can serve your steak with a summer succotash. All you need is a combination of corn, lima beans, red tomatoes, garlic, and some herbs. It can be quickly put together and baked in the oven to add some caramelization to the vegetables and bring out the sweetness.
7. Fun Variations to Try
Make a Healthy Take: Love shakes? How about a spinach-infused one? It’s as simple as adding a handful of fresh spinach to your favorite shake recipe. You can still taste the deliciousness of your mix and reap the benefits of more vitamins and minerals. Plus, spinach is a great source of iron, so it’s perfect for those nights when you’re low on energy.
Play Around with the Ingredients: Nothing’s set in stone when it comes to shakes, so don’t be afraid to experiment. You could add nuts for extra protein or some dark chocolate chips for an extra boost of antioxidants. You could try swapping milk for a dairy-free alternative like almond milk or coconut milk. The possibilities are endless!
- Healthy Take: Add fresh spinach to your traditional shake
- Play Around with the Ingredients: Swap milk for a dairy-free alternative
- Mix in Nuts: Add your favorite nuts for some added crunch
- Try Other Fruits: Swap out the traditional berries and bananas and try something new
- Give it a Spice: Add a dash of cinnamon, cardamom, or nutmeg for some extra warmth
- Swap the Sugar: Go for a healthier option like honey or maple syrup
- Bake it: Yes, you can bake a shake! Try adding some oats, chia seeds, and almond butter.
8. Tips For Selection and Storage
When selecting your fruits and vegetables, look for bright, vivid color for the best flavor and texture. Avoid produce with bruising or spots; both indicate that the quality has been reduced. Instead of just selecting the most perfect-looking item on the shelf, feel it too. It should be firm, not overly-soft. Overripe fruits and vegetables don’t taste as good.
Proper storage is essential. Different fruits and vegetables are best kept in various locations in your kitchen. Leafy greens need to be stored in the fridge, while apples and oranges are best in a cool, dark place. Stone fruits should be kept in a paper bag as they ripen. Melons should not be stored in the fridge until they are cut. To preserve the life and flavor of your produce, store them soon after purchasing.
- Check for color: Vivid is your best bet.
- Don’t select soft produce: You want firm items.
- Store as soon as possible: To preserve flavor.
9. Let’s Celebrate! Hosting a Watermelon Steak Party
Looking to have a gathering with your close friends? A Watermelon Steak Party is guaranteed to have everyone leaving satisfied! And it’s simple to recreate with your own fun twist.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to get things started:
- Edible flowers for garnish
- A few other fruits of your choice
- Soy sauce
- White sesame seeds
- Black sesame seeds
Now for the preparation:
- Cut the watermelon into steak-like slices
- Lightly brush each steak with a little soy sauce
- Sprinkle the sesame seeds onto each side of the steak
- Gently press the sesame seeds into the watermelon steak
Finally, place in the oven on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes at 350°F. Serve with the garnish of your choice and enjoy!
10. Take a Bite – Let Us Know What You Think
It’s time for you to take a taste and let us know what you think! Majority of the reviews that we have gotten from people who have tried our products are good, but we still want to know what you think. Here are a few reasons why this is utmost important to us.
- We strive to deliver the best: For us, it’s not just about providing a great product, but knowing that it is really providing value to customers. We don’t want to just give them something; we want to give them something that they really find useful, something that really fits their needs.
- Check us out: We want you to have a reliable overview of our products. We want you to know, in your opinion, if they are worth trying. That’s why we need your insights and help.
This is why we implore you, to go ahead and take a bite. Let us know what you think. Whether it is of a good response or a bad one, every opinion matters and helps us grow to become better.
So there you have it – a surprisingly delicious and unique steak that can easily be prepared at home and enjoyed by the whole family. Why not think outside the box and give this unconventional steak a try? Your taste buds will thank you!
Hi, my name is Luke Mitchell and I am a travel blogger based in Brisbane, Australia. I am the owner and creator of Arfra.org, the best blog about everything related to traveling in Australia. I have always had a passion for exploring new places and cultures and I decided to turn that passion into a career. I started Arfra.org to share my experiences and help others plan their own adventures in Australia.
I have traveled extensively throughout Australia and have a wealth of knowledge and tips to share. From the rugged outback to the beautiful beaches, I have been there and done that. I am also always on the lookout for the latest and greatest in the travel industry, so my readers can always expect to find the latest information on everything from hotels and resorts to tours and activities.
In my blog, I cover a wide range of topics including budget travel, luxury travel, family travel, and solo travel. I also share information on the best places to eat, drink, and shop, as well as the best outdoor activities and attractions.
When I am not traveling, you can find me in Brisbane where I call home. I love the city’s laid-back atmosphere and the great food and coffee scene. I also enjoy spending time with my friends and family, and taking my dog for long walks along the river.