Summertime is the time for grilling, and there’s no shortage of delicious dishes that can be thrown on the barbeque to tantalize taste buds. But why stick to the same old steaks when you can try a tasty twist? That’s right – grilling up some watermelon steak! Get ready for a refreshing mix of sweet and savory that you’ve never experienced before.
1. An Unexpectedly Delicious Combination: Grilling Up Watermelon Steak
Who would’ve thought it – grilling up a juicy watermelon steak! And this is no ordinary fruit steak, this is a delicious one, full of flavor and juicy like the real deal. Here’s how to make it:
- Get the watermelon. Get a fresh, high-quality watermelon, one with a thick, striped skin and a firm flesh. Cut it into ¾-inch slices.
- Season lightly. Drizzle the watermelon slices with a little olive oil, and season with your favorite herbs and spices, such as rosemary, mint, thyme, oregano, garlic powder, or smoked paprika.
- Grill. Preheat the grill to medium-high heat and lightly grease the grill grate with cooking spray. Grill the watermelon slices for 3 to 4 minutes per side, until lightly charred.
Take the watermelon steaks off the grill and they’re ready to be served. The sweetness of the watermelon is balanced perfectly with the savory herbs and spices, offering a surprisingly delicious flavor combination. Serve it as is, or with a sprinkle of feta or goat cheese. Take your summer grilling game to a whole new level – give watermelon steak a try!
2. Unlocking the Tastiness of Grilled Watermelon Steaks
Grilling watermelon – it’s more than just a summertime trend. When done properly there is absolute tastiness to be unlocked in a grilled watermelon steak. The perfect way to enjoy this fruit.
Whether it is served as a sweet or savoury dish, one thing remains true: grilled watermelon steaks are not to be underestimated. To get the best flavour and the most out of your grilling experience, here are some pro-tips to follow:
- Choose ripe, firm watermelons of good quality.
- Cut into large steaks, about 2.5cm in thickness.
- Generously coat with olive oil, salt and freshly ground pepper to add taste.
- Grill for a few minutes on each side.
- Serve as a main or side dish.
Whether as an addition to a BBQ evening or as an unconventional starter, grilled watermelon steak will add smile to your guests’ faces. Don’t forget to drizzle a little bit of balsamic vinegar or honey over the steaks for an additional boost of flavour. And for a savoury option, serve them with pine nuts, crumbled feta cheese and some herbs. Now, the only thing you need to do is to get grilling and enjoy the tastiness of grilled watermelon.
3. Adding a Grilled Twist to a Summertime Favorite
When summer rolls around, there is no better time for cooking on the grill. You can add a delicious twist to a classic summer favorite dish by throwing it on the grill. Here are a few ideas to liven up your summer grilling game.
- BBQ Veggie Kabobs – Taking your favorite seasonal vegetables and turning them into kabobs is a great way to add a grilled twist. Marinate them in your choice of BBQ sauce before throwing them on the grill for added flavor.
- Grilled Corn – Fire up the grill and let your corn husks char onto the cob. When it’s finished, top it off with butter and your favorite seasonings.
- Grilled Fruit – Fruit is a delicious addition to any summertime meal. Slice up your favorite fruits and drizzle them in honey before throwing them on the grill for a sweet, smoked touch.
With these ideas, you’re sure to arrive at the party with a dish that will surprise and delight any crowd. Spice up your summer cookouts with a grilled twist on classic favorites!
4. Tips and Tricks for Perfectly Grilled Watermelon Steaks
Choose the Right Melon: The type of melon you use really matters when it comes to making perfectly grilled watermelon steaks. You should aim to find a large, symmetrical melon that is without blemishes. This type of melon will cook evenly and have fewer seeds.
Prepare and Cut the Melon: After selecting the right melon, you have to prepare it properly before grilling. Make sure to wash and dry the melon before you cut it. Depending on the size of the melon, you can portion it into four to eight slices that are approximately one inch thick. Each steak should weigh about three ounces.
- Rub each steak with a light layer of olive oil, then season with salt and pepper.
- Clean and preheat your grill.
- Grill the steaks for approximately four minutes on each side.
- Carefully remove the steaks from the grill and serve.
5. Going Beyond the Basics: Elevating Your Watermelon Steak Game
Grilling with Watermelon Steaks
Watermelon may not automatically come to mind when thinking of grilling fare, but thanks to its sweet and juicy texture, it’s a great contender for some summertime fun! To take your watermelon steaks to the next level, consider these delicious and exciting additions:
- A sprinkle of diced jalapeno, bell pepper, and onion mixed with minced garlic and lime juice is the perfect topping for a savory spin.
- Sprinkle some fresh herbs like basil, mint, and rosemary for a bright and lovely flavor.
- Make a glaze of honey and balsamic vinegar to give your watermelon steak a bit of a caramelized crunch.
- Top your steak with a drizzle of mango or passionfruit salsa for a tropical-inspired kick.
Once you’ve fully customized your watermelon steaks, pop them on the grill for a few minutes on each side. Be sure to watch them carefully to prevent any possible charring. When your steaks reach their desired doneness, serve them alongside grilled potatoes, onions, and bell peppers for a complete summer grilling feast.
And don’t forget the marshmallows! Toasted over the grill, these sweet treats will make an amazing addition to your watermelon steak platter.
6. Aromatic Herbs and Spices to Enhance the Flavor of Grilled Watermelon Steaks
To bring out the sweet and savory taste of grilled watermelon steak, use a combination of aromatic herbs and spices for the best impact. Consider the following herbs and spices for a formidable watermelon steak that will tantalize your taste buds:
- Cumin: Cumin adds earthy and robust notes of flavor while differentiating the taste of your steak with its nutty flavor.
- Coriander: The citrusy and spicy aroma of coriander brings out the fruitiness and sweetness of your watermelon steak, while retaining its savoriness.
- Curry Powder: The smoky and floral flavors of curry powder gives your steak a unique and distinct flavor that is a party for the senses.
- Turmeric: With its peppery, intense and warm flavor, turmeric makes sure that you do not overlook the medley that your steak is creating.
These herbs and spices are sure to take the delicious grilled watermelon steak experience to the next level. Their complexity, herbal and woody influences, coupled with the sweetness and tartness of the steak, will leave your diners in awe.
7. Bringing a Fruity Flavor to the Grill: Grilling Watermelon Steaks
Watermelon steak is the ideal summertime grilling option to enjoy a delicious snack and an exciting twist on fruit-based grill recipes. Watermelon has long been enjoyed as a normal part of a healthy diet, and now you can add it to the grill with a touch of spice and get a juicy, caramelized piece of watermelon steak.
- Watermelon steak
- Ground pepper
- Garlic powder
- Extra virgin olive oil
Slice up 1.5-inch steaks of watermelon using a sharp kitchen knife. Use a cutting board, so that you don’t slice onto your countertops! Once your steaks are ready, season them with salt, garlic powder, and ground pepper. Then, brush each steak generously with extra virgin olive oil. The oil will help the seasonings stick to your delicious steak and make it caramelize as it cooks on the grill.
8. The Versatility of Grilled Watermelon Steaks: Enjoy with a Variety of Sauces
Grilled watermelon steaks are surprisingly delicious and surprisingly versatile. Not only are they delicious all on their own, they also lend themselves to a variety of different sauces and accompaniments. From vinaigrettes to sauces and relishes, grilled watermelon steaks are guaranteed to please even the most discerning palate.
For a very simple vinaigrette, try whisking together olive oil, minced garlic, freshly squeezed lemon juice, salt and pepper. Drizzle this mixture over the watermelon steak and dinner is immediately gourmet. For a sweeter alternative, opt for a honey, lemon and orange juice mix. Meanwhile, for a more savory option, try a spicy peanut sauce or an Asian-inspired combination of tamari, rice vinegar and toasted sesame oil. No matter what topping you choose, grilled watermelon steaks are sure to hit the spot!
- Olive oil
- Minced garlic
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- Orange juice
- Spicy peanut sauce
- Rice vinegar
- Toasted sesame oil
9. Dazzle Your Guests with a Freshly Grilled Watermelon Steak
Grilling watermelon might seem like a strange concept; however, it can make for an impressive dish that will wow your guests. The taste of the sweet watermelon combined with the smoky and smoldering grill results in a unique, flavorful finish. Plus, most of the work is already done before the guests arrive – all you need to do is fire up the barbecue and grill it up in no time.
- Salt, Pepper & Herbs: Season your watermelon steak with salt, pepper, and any herbs you would like to add some additional flavor.
- Cook on the Grill: Place the watermelon steak on the greased grill and cook for 5 to 7 minutes on each side. The edges will start to charred and the watermelon should easily flake with a fork.
- Garnish & Enjoy: To finish, garnish your grilled watermelon steak with fresh herbs and enjoy. The watermelon will have a fantastic barbecue smoky taste, perfect for a warm day.
10. Savoring the Juiciness of Grilled Watermelon Steaks
Grilled watermelon steak has become a popular recipe among home cooks looking to bring summer flavor to the grill. It’s incredibly easy to make and incredibly delicious.
The key to achieving that perfect juicy steak is to choose a ripe but firm watermelon. Cut it into large wedges about 1 1/2 inches thick, remove the rind, and then season them with sea salt, cracked black pepper, and herbs of your choice.
Once the stake is seasoned to your taste, oil the grates of your grill and add your watermelon steak. Grill for 3-4 minutes on each side, until you get beautiful char marks and thesteak is heated through.
When it’s ready, garnish it with fresh herbs, squeeze of lemon and/or lime juice, and adollop of fresh ricotta. Serve it up and savor the deliciousness of grilled watermelon steak.
- Tips for Making Grilled Watermelon Steak:
- Choose a ripe but firm watermelon.
- Depending on preference, add different spices and herbs when seasoning.
- Be sure to oil the grill grates before adding the steak.
- Garnish with your desired toppings.
Your next grill session is sure to be a juicy one. Who said you couldn’t enjoy a steak on the grill? With watermelon steak, you can now have the best of both worlds. Watermelon steak is the perfect way to shake up your grilling routine with a delicious, nutritious twist. So the next time you fire up the grill, keep the traditional steak but don’t forget to throw on a couple of watermelon steaks too!
Hi, my name is Luke Mitchell and I am a travel blogger based in Brisbane, Australia. I am the owner and creator of Arfra.org, the best blog about everything related to traveling in Australia. I have always had a passion for exploring new places and cultures and I decided to turn that passion into a career. I started Arfra.org to share my experiences and help others plan their own adventures in Australia.
I have traveled extensively throughout Australia and have a wealth of knowledge and tips to share. From the rugged outback to the beautiful beaches, I have been there and done that. I am also always on the lookout for the latest and greatest in the travel industry, so my readers can always expect to find the latest information on everything from hotels and resorts to tours and activities.
In my blog, I cover a wide range of topics including budget travel, luxury travel, family travel, and solo travel. I also share information on the best places to eat, drink, and shop, as well as the best outdoor activities and attractions.
When I am not traveling, you can find me in Brisbane where I call home. I love the city’s laid-back atmosphere and the great food and coffee scene. I also enjoy spending time with my friends and family, and taking my dog for long walks along the river.