Watermelon is a summer staple in many households, and there’s a good reason for why. Not only is it a juicy and delicious treat, but it’s also super healthy and boasts a number of benefits. While there are dozens of ways to incorporate watermelon into your meals, it’s hard to beat the simplicity and deliciousness of watermelon steak. A seemingly unorthodox combination of flavors, watermelon steak is a delightful surprise sure to tantalize your taste buds with a mix of sweet and savory unlike anything you’ve ever tried before. Read on to learn more about this sweet and savory surprise!
1. Revel in the Juicy Flavor of Watermelon Steak
If you love juicy, succulent steaks, then you’ll definitely want to treat yourself to a deliciously unique watermelon steak. A surprisingly tasty dish, the watermelon steak has a distinctively summery flavor. Whether it’s served up sizzling hot off the grill, or as part of a refreshing salad, it’s sure to tantalize your taste buds.
First, you’ll want to choose a ripe watermelon for the best taste. Slice the watermelon into thick steaks, brush lightly with oil, and sprinkle with course sea salt. Grill these steaks on medium heat until they start to caramelize and have beautiful crips and caramelized edges. Adding a sprinkle of cayenne, smoked paprika, garlic powder and pepper adds an extra punch of flavor – but leave it out if you prefer less heat.
- Tip: Grill the watermelon steaks alongside some other summer favorites like eggplant, peppers and zucchini, for an extra tasty medley.
- Tip: Applying a flavorful marinade to the watermelon steaks before grilling will help give the steak an extra boost of flavor.
2. An Innovative Take on a Summer Staple
Already looking forward to the summer months and all their pleasures? Take your favorite time of year up a notch with this creative take on a summer staple – grilled corn on the cob. Let your guests add their own unique flavors with these customizable toppings:
- Shredded cheese
- Chopped chives
- Chili powder
- Crumbled bacon
- Sliced jalapenos
- Chopped cilantro
Your guests will be delighted with the chance to assemble their own grilled corn masterpieces – from savory taco-style to mouthwatering sweet Thai chili. Grill for just a few minutes, then enjoy! It’s one summer BBQ grub that will keep everyone happy.
3. A Fresh Twist to Your Summer Menu
Give your taste buds a summer surprise with these three dishes that have a modern spin on classic favorites. Try these delicious recipes and they’ll quickly become your new summer favorites:
- A refreshing ceviche: A traditional Mexican seafood dish taken to the next level. Add ingredients like cucumber, fresh mango, and cilantro for a unique flavor that will tantalize your taste buds.
- The ultimate burger: Elevate your classic burger with homemade beef patties, Gorgonzola, and some scallions. This burger will make your summer BBQs special.
- An innovative fish tacos: Think outside the box and try some baked fish tacos. Combining panko-crusted cod and frisée slaw for the perfect balance of crispy, crunchy and refreshing.
Turn your summer meals into something special. Try these twists, and your guests will thank you for it!
4. Impress Your Guests with Watermelon Steak
Wowing Your Guests – the Watermelon Steak!
Say goodbye to the typical steak dinner – watermelon steak has made a grand entrance onto the recipe scene! Its refreshing flavor, eye-catching presentation, and ease of preparation make it the perfect dish to impress your guests.
A vibrant and healthy alternative to beef, this watermelon steak is full of delicious possibilities. Serve it as an appetizer, main dish, or side; cut a watermelon into thick slices, drizzle with a savory marinade, and then grill for just a few minutes. Experiment with different marinades – from fragrant and sweet, to savory and spicy – to create your own unique flavor. Try alder-smoked watermelon steak served with a blueberry salsa, or bbq-rubbed steak with a cilantro lime chimichurri. To top it off, end the meal with a stunning watermelon steak with a drizzle of honey.
This simple, delicious dish is sure to be a hit with your dinner guests!
5. Preparing a Sweet and Savory Dish
When it comes to preparing a sweet and savory meal, the possibilities are endless. You can create a delicious symphony of flavors that makes your taste buds rejoice. Here are some tips to get the perfect balance of sweet and savoriness.
- Choose your ingredients: Start off by selecting your favorite ingredients. Choose sweet and savory flavors like honey and garlic, teriyaki and fig, or maybe even cinnamon and bacon. Choose a few main ingredients that you would like to highlight, and some complementary ingredients to make the flavors come alive.
- Prepare your ingredients: Cut your ingredients into small pieces, so they will cook quickly and evenly. The smaller the pieces the better. Brown your meat before adding it to the dish, and sauté the vegetables before mixing them into the mixture.
Once the ingredients are prepped, begin combining them in a large pot or pan. Start by layering the ingredients, beginning with your main ingredients, then add the sweet and savory condiments like honey, syrup or a sweet and tangy sauce, and finally add some aroma and seasoning. Combine it all until the ingredients are evenly distributed and the flavors have had a chance to mingle.
6. Sourcing the Freshest and Ripe Watermelon
When it comes to sourcing the ripest watermelon, timing is key. It goes without saying that one of the most important factors in choosing the best watermelon is to ensure it is in-season. It is best in late summer and early fall when the melon is at its heartiest―so it really pays off to have your taste buds keenly focused on this time of the year.
But that’s not all, as the trick to finding a great watermelon lies beyond the seasonality. Here is a list of qualities to look out for:
- Feel: Go for one that feels heavy for its size and has a vibrant, symmetrical shape.
- Appearance: The dark green rind should be free from any cracks, bruises and soft spots.
- Rattling: Gently shake it up and listen for a hollow sound, which indicates that it is ripe and juicy.
Growers and farmers also tend to develop their own tricks to check for ripeness, such as thumping and feeling the veins on the outer rind. Remember, it is all about trial and error, so don’t be disheartened if you don’t get it right the first time. Happy watermelon-hunting!
7. Bringing Out the Best Flavors of Watermelon Steak
Watermelon steak is delicious and makes for an excellent summer dinner. Here’s how you can bring out the best flavors it has to offer:
- Start by seasoning the watermelon steak with some sea salt and freshly ground pepper. You can also add a touch of your favorite spices here, such as garlic powder, smoked paprika, or Italian seasoning.
- Heat up some oil in a pan on medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the watermelon steak and let it cook for about 3-4 minutes. Don’t move it around too much as this will make it start to break apart.
- Flip the steak over and let it cook for an additional 3-4 minutes. It should be nicely golden and starting to caramelize.
- When it’s done, remove it from the pan and sprinkle with some freshly chopped herbs. Basil and parsley are some good choices here.
When you serve it, squeeze some fresh lemon or lime juice over the top for a lovely acidic contrast. Enjoy your delicious watermelon steak with your favorite sides for a perfect summer meal.
8. Pairing the Perfect Side Dishes with the Watermelon Steak
For anyone looking to add a unique twist to their next meal, a watermelon steak will surely turn heads. Besides making an eye-catching entrée, this refreshingly sweet and savory steak requires the perfect side dish to complete its dish. Below, find a selection of side dishes that combine perfectly with the watermelon steak.
Unforgettable Side Dishes
- Steamed Vegetables: A simple steamed vegetable medley makes a wonderfully light and healthy accompaniment to a watermelon steak. Choose your favorite selection of organic greens and pair them with a light, flavorful sauce.
- Couscous: To add an international flair to the feast, couscous can be an excellent option. With its versatility, it’s easy to mix in seasonal ingredients and spices to build layers of flavor in the dish.
- Summer Salad: When trying to add a summer flick of zest, a colorful salad provides a delightful pop of freshness to the meal. Start with a base of greens, like spinach and kale, and add bright vegetables, along with some walnuts or chia seeds for a more filling option.
Whichever side dish you decide to pick, it is sure to complement the deliciously unique flavor of the watermelon steak. With these options on the menu, you can look forward to delighting your family and friends with a dish that’s sure to leave a lasting impression.
9. Simple Tips to Perfectly Sear Your Watermelon Steak
Start by Chilling the Watermelon Slice
The key to achieving the perfect sear on your watermelon steak is to start with a chilled slice. Refrigerate the watermelon for at least an hour before cooking. This will help the steak to hold its shape and produce a golden-brown, crispy sear.
Set the Grill to Maximum Heat
It’s important to set your grill on its highest possible temperature before you start. This will ensure a tasty and evenly-seared steak. Before you place the Watermelon steak on the grill, brush it with some oil to give it an even sheen.
- Turn your grill to maximum heat
- Chill the watermelon slice before searing
- Brush the steak with oil before grilling
- Try to keep the seared steak on the grill for no more than three minutes
In order to achieve the perfect sear, it’s a good idea to try and keep the steak on the grill for no more than three minutes. Flip the steak halfway through to achieve an even sear.
Following this advice will ensure an evenly cooked and delicious Watermelon steak that is sure to please any guest! Enjoy!
10. Enjoying a Delicious and Unforgettable Meal
One of the best ways to treat yourself and your family is by having a delicious and unforgettable meal. There’s nothing better than savoring a meal that is not only flavorful, but also memorable! Here are some tips to help ensure your meal is both a delicious and unforgettable experience:
- Try something new and different. You could try a new recipe, or an old favorite with a modern twist.
- Take your time. Relax, socialize, and savor every bite.
- Use fresh, local ingredients. There’s nothing quite like the taste of garden-fresh produce!
- Set the mood. Enjoy your meal while listening to calming music, with a candlelit table, or beneath a star-filled sky.
- Be present. Put away the phones and televisions and simply enjoy your company and conversation.
Once you’ve taken the steps to ensure your meal is both delicious and unforgettable, all that’s left to do is to enjoy! So sit back, relax, and savor every moment. This is sure to be a truly special experience that you, your family, and your friends will never forget!
That wraps up our exploration of watermelon steak! Whether you choose to take the savory route to reap the nutritional benefits or keep it sweet for a decadent desert treat, watermelon steak has us all in a state of sweet and savory surprise.
Hi, my name is Luke Mitchell and I am a travel blogger based in Brisbane, Australia. I am the owner and creator of Arfra.org, the best blog about everything related to traveling in Australia. I have always had a passion for exploring new places and cultures and I decided to turn that passion into a career. I started Arfra.org to share my experiences and help others plan their own adventures in Australia.
I have traveled extensively throughout Australia and have a wealth of knowledge and tips to share. From the rugged outback to the beautiful beaches, I have been there and done that. I am also always on the lookout for the latest and greatest in the travel industry, so my readers can always expect to find the latest information on everything from hotels and resorts to tours and activities.
In my blog, I cover a wide range of topics including budget travel, luxury travel, family travel, and solo travel. I also share information on the best places to eat, drink, and shop, as well as the best outdoor activities and attractions.
When I am not traveling, you can find me in Brisbane where I call home. I love the city’s laid-back atmosphere and the great food and coffee scene. I also enjoy spending time with my friends and family, and taking my dog for long walks along the river.