Ah, summer. There’s something about the warmth of the sun, the smell of fresh-cut grass, and the taste of juicy, ripe watermelon that just screams it’s the season for outdoor fun. But why not add a twist to the classic summertime treat by creating an utterly delicious – and beautiful – Watermelon Steak? Read on and get your slice of summer!
1. A Sweet & Savory Taste of Summer: Watermelon Steak
Summer is a great time to enjoy the sweet and savory tastes of watermelon steak. Imagine grilling thick, juicy slabs of melon, marinated in a syrup of your favorite herbs and spices. The result is an exciting combination of smoky bacon flavors, tangy lime juice, and of course, that unmistakable sweetness of ripe watermelon.
A simple watermelon steak can be prepared in minutes. Start by cutting the melon into 1-inch thick wedges. Once cut, place them in a bowl, and then pour over a marinade of your choice. We recommend combining:
- One tablespoon of bacon fat
- One tablespoon of minced garlic
- One teaspoon of freshly grated ginger
- Two tablespoons of freshly squeezed lime juice
Let it all sit for about 20 minutes, or longer if you are looking for a more intense flavor. Then simply grill your watermelon steaks over an open flame to your desired doneness.
Watermelon steak is a great way to add a unique and complex flavor to your summer grilling routine.
2. Cool & Refreshing: Perfectly Sliced Watermelon Prep
Summer is here and it’s time to cool off! Watermelon is the perfect way to keep your thirst quenched and your bellies full. Preparing watermelon is simple, fun, and an inviting snack or dessert that everyone in the family can enjoy.
To get started on your summer treat, gather a few items: a large, ripe watermelon; a sharp knife; and a cutting board. Once your items are prepared, cut your watermelon into two halves. Now you can start slicing! Cut the watermelon lengthwise into round slices, about an inch-thick. Gently scoop out the seeds before serving.:
- Create various shapes out of the slices
- Sprinkle a topping of your choice: crushed mint, salt, sugar and chili powder are popular options
- Drop some lime, lemon or orange juice over your slices for a touch of flavor
Families and friends alike appreciate the convenience and health benefits of slicing up some watermelon on a hot day. This juicy and sweet summer treat can be enjoyed both in the warm sunshine and in the cool of the night.
3. What You’ll Need: Ingredients & Necessary Utensils
Buying the Right Ingredients: You don’t need a lot for this dish, just a few simple ingredients – but it’s important to make sure you’re getting the freshest and highest quality. Pick up some olive oil, a few ripe tomatoes, juicy basil leaves, garlic, and freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
Tools of the Trade: Now that you have the ingredients, it’s time to get to work! The ideal toolkit for this dish includes a sharp knife, a cutting board, a wooden spoon, and a warm skillet. Of course, you could always opt for a healthier cooking method by using a non-stick skillet and an appropriate oil instead of olive oil.
4. Grilling Tips & Tricks to Perfect Your Watermelon Steak
Get the Best Cut
When it comes to grilling watermelon steak to perfection, it’s all about getting the right cut. Aim for about one-inch thickness for the best results. Choose the watermelon you are using for the steaks carefully. Look for a watermelon with smooth, even-textured rind and a fruit that is heavy for its size.
Season and Grill
Once you have the ideal cut, you’re ready to prepare the watermelon steak for grilling. Liberally season it with salt, pepper, herbs, and spices to get that flavor going. Preheat your grill to medium-high heat, and cook the steaks for about 5 minutes, flipping occasionally until it’s seared on both sides. To spin up the flavor, brush watermelon with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, or citrus juice before adding any spice. Finish cooking the steak until it’s warmed through and enjoy!
- Look for a heavy watermelon with a smooth-textured rind
- Aim for a 1-inch thick steak
- Season with salt, pepper and spices to your liking
- Grill over medium-high heat for approximately 5 minutes, flipping occasionally
- Brush with olive oil, balsamic vinegar or citrus juice for extra flavor
5. Getting Saucy: Selecting the Perfect Marinade Combination
Now that you’ve explored which meats and veggies will compose your BBQ meal, it’s time to turn your attention to selecting the perfect marinade. When selecting a marinade, there are a few points to keep in mind:
- Is the protein already flavorful? If so, opt for a marinade to add deeper layers of complexity.
- Do you prefer sweet, savory, pungent, or spicy flavors? Look for ingredients that bring out your desired flavor.
- How long will the ingredients need to marinade? Saltier ingredients like soy sauce or miso paste can be used for longer marinades.
Once you’ve considered these points, assembling your marinade is as easy as mixing and matching from the following staples: Soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, citrus juice, olive oil, honey, garlic, herbs, and spices. With these ingredients, you can make almost any flavor combination you can dream of. For tangy and sweet, try a marinade of pineapple juice, garlic, and cumin. For a smoky flavor try equal parts Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, and paprika. You can even make your own BBQ sauce by starting with ketchup, adding brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce, then tweaking to taste.
6. Time to Chill: Let the Watermelon Steaks Marinate
After patting down the steak steaks with the dry rub, it’s time to marinate! Place the watermelon steaks in a shallow dish and cover with the marinade. Let the steaks marinate for at least 15-30 minutes, or overnight for the best flavour. Think of it as a home spa treatment for your watermelon steak!
Not sure what to do with the leftover rub? Get creative:
- Sprinkle it on chips for an unexpected flavour.
- Mix it into scrambled eggs for a breakfast twist.
- Sprinkle it on tacos to give them a kick.
Waiting for the steaks to marinate will give you some extra time to make a delicious side dish or prepare a light salad. Enjoy a glass of watermelon agua fresca or watermelon margarita while you wait and let the flavours mingle together.
7. Ready the Grill: Heating Up to the Perfect Temperature
Now that you’ve got all the equipment and tips for prepping the perfect outdoor summer BBQ, it’s time to get the grill going! Setting the right temperature is key to grilling succulent pork chops or juicy and charred burgers. Follow these steps to get the grill heated up and ready to go:
- Turn on the gas or charcoal and adjust the setting accordingly.
- Open the lid, place your hand over the cooking area, and adjust the temperature to the recommended heat.
- Wait 10-15 minutes to ensure the grill has reached the desired temperature.
- Periodically check the grill throughout the cooking process, using the hand test every 10 minutes or so.
Let the Grilling Begin! With the grill at the perfect temperature, you are now ready to put all your hard work to the test! Keep in mind that it takes practice and patience to achieve the perfect crispy sear. So grab your tongs and flip away!
8. Show Me the Steak: Grilling & Serving Watermelon Steak
For those with a taste for something unique, watermelon steak is the perfect addition to any summer BBQ! Not only does it offer a delicious and juicy treat, but it also provides a fun way of using a typical summer favorite.
To get started, simply cut the watermelon into steak-like cubes and cover each one with your favorite seasoning. You can get creative with the choices you have from traditional BBQ seasoning to a more exotic mix. Once the watermelon cubes have been adequately covered, it’s time to start grilling!
- Be sure to oil up the grill for an easy cooking process
- Grill the cubes evenly for about 4-5 minutes per side
- Serve the cubes hot and enjoy!
For a truly unique meal, pair with some grilled vegetable sides and a light salad. Delicious and fun, watermelon steak is sure to make a splash at any BBQ!
9. A New Twist on Summer Salads: Pairing with Leafy Greens
Summer salads don’t need to be boring and plain! Bringing in different flavours and textures will make them much more interesting. Try pairing your summer salads with leafy greens to add an extra crunch. Spinach, arugula, kale, and collards are some of the most popular options. Every one of them is packed with nutrients and minerals like iron, calcium, and vitamins A and K.
Start off with a base of your favourite greens and build your way up. Add summer vegetables such as roasted corn, cherry tomatoes, and cucumbers. Top it off with some healthy seeds and nuts, such as pumpkin, sunflower and sliced almonds. For dressing, use healthy fats like olive oil and avocados, while throwing in some citrus and herbs like cilantro, basil, or mint.
10. Good Times & Great Taste: Enjoying A Slice of Summer
Summer is the best time to enjoy a delicious slice of pizza! No matter the occasion, nothing beats gathering people together for a night of great food and good times. Summer is the perfect time to indulge in all the amazing flavors pizza has to offer.
Pizza has always been one of the most timeless and universally adored meals. The great thing about it is that almost everyone has their own flavor profile. Whether you like a classic margherita, a veggie delight with all the fixings, or a spicy classic like pepperoni; you can have it exactly your way.
- Choose Your Base: Don’t forget that pizza is all about choice. Pick your favorite dough, from crunchy thin-crust to hearty deep-dish.
- Be Adventurous With Toppings: Get creative and layer on those toppings. After all, there’s no wrong way to eat pizza.
- Enjoy Every Bite: Sitting outside with friends and family, enjoying a freshly made, hot slice of pizza is one of summer’s greatest pleasures.
From hitting the grill to eating it raw, watermelon steaks are the perfect way to beat the heat of summer and enjoy a delicious, juicy treat. Give this fun, tasty fabrication a try and get a taste of summer today!
Hi, my name is Luke Mitchell and I am a travel blogger based in Brisbane, Australia. I am the owner and creator of Arfra.org, the best blog about everything related to traveling in Australia. I have always had a passion for exploring new places and cultures and I decided to turn that passion into a career. I started Arfra.org to share my experiences and help others plan their own adventures in Australia.
I have traveled extensively throughout Australia and have a wealth of knowledge and tips to share. From the rugged outback to the beautiful beaches, I have been there and done that. I am also always on the lookout for the latest and greatest in the travel industry, so my readers can always expect to find the latest information on everything from hotels and resorts to tours and activities.
In my blog, I cover a wide range of topics including budget travel, luxury travel, family travel, and solo travel. I also share information on the best places to eat, drink, and shop, as well as the best outdoor activities and attractions.
When I am not traveling, you can find me in Brisbane where I call home. I love the city’s laid-back atmosphere and the great food and coffee scene. I also enjoy spending time with my friends and family, and taking my dog for long walks along the river.