It’s summertime and the temperatures are rising! Are the usual grilling sessions feeling a little tired? Then why not mix it up with something new and super-tasty– watermelon! Watermelon steak is a delicious, nutritious and creative new twist on the traditional grill. Find out how to make this summer treat and enjoy a truly unique grilling experience.
1. Celebrate Summer with Grilled Watermelon Steak
As the days get longer and the weather gets sunnier, it’s time to enjoy the best of the summer season – with fresh and flavorful dishes! Get ready to fire up your grill and try something new with a delicious Grilled Watermelon Steak, using a mix of sweet and savory ingredients.
This dynamic, mouthwatering dish develops flavor with a few key pieces of cooking equipment. Start by seasoning both sides of your watermelon steak with desired ingredients such as:
- Soy Sauce
- Garlic Powder
- Olive Oil
- Chili Powder
Then, heat your grill to a medium-high heat and drizzle your watermelon steak with oil, before placing it on the grates. Cook for a few minutes on each side, turning as needed, and watch as the flavors combine. Do not over cook as the watermelon can quickly turn to mush.
2. A Refreshing and Meatless Take on Grilling
When most people think of grilling, they think of sizzling steaks and cheesy hamburgers. But there’s no need to be a slave to the usual fare. Why not shake things up with a meatless twist?
Check out these delicious ideas to give your grill a flavourful refresh:
- Brush zucchini slices with teriyaki or Italian dressing before they hit the heat.
- Flip whole ears of corn on the cob gently until lightly browned.
- Grill portobello mushrooms for a supremely savoury burger substitute.
- Skewer lightly seasoned grilled spuds for delicious and healthy potato shish-kabobs.
All these delicious meatless treats are perfect for a side dish or the main event. Grilling is the perfect way to get the kids involved or to transform a boring weekend dinner into a unique, flavourful get-together. Let your creative juices flow and enjoy a new take on grilling tonight.
3. All You Need to Know about Grilling Watermelon
Grilling Watermelon: A Healthy Treat
Watermelon is an incredibly healthy and hydrating treat in its own right. By grilling it, you can bring out an entirely new flavor profile that can be a great complement to a barbecue feast. Here’s everything you need to know about grilling watermelon:
- There are two different methods for grilling watermelon. The direct method requires cutting the watermelon into cubes and threading it onto skewers. The indirect method lines the watermelon slices inside an aluminum foil pouch to prevent them from sticking or burning.
- Grilling watermelon allows you to bring out a unique flavor. It has a unique smokiness that works nicely with common barbecue spices like cumin, chili powder, and garlic. It can also be used as a sweetener in savory dishes such as salsa or salads.
It’s important to choose a ripe watermelon to grill, as the flavor will be better than with a less mature fruit. You’ll also want to pre-cook the watermelon slightly to help make sure it doesn’t burn on the grill. Grill the watermelon for around 10 minutes to get the signature smokiness and a bit of crunch.
4. The Benefits of Grilled Watermelon
Grilled watermelon is a overlooked and unexpected treat that packs a punch of flavor. Not only does it provide a sweet and smoky flavor that pairs well with almost any meal, but it also offers a variety of health benefits too.
To start, the grilling process helps to break down the sugars in the watermelon, making it easier to access and absorb the nutrients that are already present in the juicy fruit. Additionally, the grilling process releases lycopene, a powerful antioxidant that helps with cancer prevention and heart health.
Grilled watermelon is a great source of vitamins A, C, and B6. It’s low in calories and offers plenty of other minerals and nutrients like potassium, magnesium, and iron. And, since it’s already in a bite-sized form, it makes it incredibly easy to enjoy on the go.
Flavor & Versatility
The smoky flavor of grilled watermelon complements a variety of dishes like salads, tacos, pasta, or even as a simple snack. Plus, it’s easy to customize to your taste using different seasonings to give the melon a bit of a zing.
Adding grilled watermelon to your meals is the perfect way to up your nutrition game without eliminating the flavor.
- Rich in vitamins A, C, & B6.
- Releases lycopene during the grilling process.
- Offers a sweet & smoky flavor.
- Low in calories & high in minerals & nutrients.
- Great snack or side dish.
5. Essential Tips for the Best Grilled Watermelon Steak
Grilled watermelon steak is the perfect summertime treat that takes minutes to prepare and can feed a crowd. Here are five essential tips to get the most delicious and juicy steak every time:
- Choose the Right Watermelon: Look for a firm, mid-sized watermelon with an even shape and bright, crisp stripes. Avoid ones with soft spots or dents.
- Prepare your Grill: Preheat your grill to medium-high heat before starting to prepare your steak.
- Create the Perfect Steak: Cut the watermelon into thick wedges that are about 1 inch thick and brush with a little olive oil. Place on the hot grill and cook for about 3 minutes. Turn and cook for another 3-4 minutes, or until both sides are lightly charred.
Lastly, to ensure juicy steaks, allow them to rest for a few minutes before serving. To top it off, sprinkle some sea salt and chopped herbs over the top. Serve it hot off the grill or chilled – it’s sure to be a hit either way!
6. Spruce up Your Summer BBQ with Grilled Watermelon
- Grilled Watermelon Steaks – Watermelon makes for a delicious steak once grilled! Cut thick slices of watermelon (about 2 inches thick) and season as desired before grilling.
- Bruschetta – Why not make some battered grilled watermelon and make a bruschetta with it? Start off by cutting your watermelon into cubes, dip them into a batter made with egg and flour, and grill. To make your bruschetta, top the grilled watermelon cubes with some diced tomatoes and mozzarella cheese, season, and serve.
A summer BBQ isn’t complete without some unique dishes and grilled watermelon is a great option. Fresh, ripe, and full of natural sweetness, this versatile fruit can take on a whole new flavor profile when exposed to a high temperature like fire-grilling. Here are just two dishes to .
Grilled Watermelon Salad – Start off by cutting your watermelon into thick slices and grilling them. Once grilled, cube the slices and combine into a bowl with some greens of your choice, feta cheese, diced red onions and olives. For the dressing use some olive oil, honey, lemon juice and salt and pepper. This salad is both refreshing and healthy, making it the perfect addition to any summer BBQ.
7. Marinades and Spices to Enhance Your Watermelon Steak
Watermelon steak is rising in popularity as a vegetarian alternative to traditional beef. It has a unique flavor that is slightly sweeter than conventional beef. But you can make the dish delicious by introducing some flavorful marinades and spices.
- Cumin: Whether you choose whole, ground, or powder, cumin adds intense flavor that perfectly complements sweet watermelon steaks. Try using a generous portion of cumin for maximum flavor.
- Turmeric: For an earthy and sophisticated flavor, use turmeric to marinate your watermelon steak. Its warm, deep flavor pairs well with the sweetness of the watermelon.
Other spices to consider when making watermelon steaks include garlic powder, paprika, chili powder, cinnamon, and oregano. Marinades can also be used to draw out the flavors of your watermelon steak. Try lime juice or teriyaki sauce, both of which will infuse your steak with unique and complex flavors. Experiment with different combinations of marinades and spices to suit your taste.
8. Creative Ways to Serve Watermelon Steak
Watermelon steak is one of the most exciting summer dishes, but serving it up in the same way every time can get boring. Here are eight creative ways to give watermelon steak a new twist:
- Fruity Salsa: Upgrade your watermelon steak with a fresh salsa made of mango, pineapple, jalapeno, cilantro and lime. Perfect for a sunny BBQ.
- Tropical Twist: Serve watermelon steak with coconut milk, chili powder, and a splash of freshly-squeezed lime juice for a tropical-inspired delight.
- Burrito Meets Bowl: Wrap your watermelon steak in a warm tortilla with kale and feta cheese for a unique twist on a classic burrito bowl.
- Taco Time: Try a Mexican-style watermelon steak by layering it between two soft corn tacos with fresh cilantro, avocados and a drizzle of Sriracha.
Smoothie Bowls are a yummy way to enjoy watermelon steak too. Simply combine ice cubes, yogurt, honey, watermelon steak and granola then blend. The smoothie bowl can be served as a colour-rich and flavourful breakfast or a healthy, nourishing snack.
9. Pairing Grilled Watermelon Steak with Summer Dishes
Grilled Watermelon Steak has been becoming increasingly popular as a vegan-friendly alternative to meats like steak and salmon. This deliciously sweet and smoky summer dish can easily be enjoyed at home with a little bit of cooking know-how and the right ingredients. Here are some great ideas for pairing Grilled Watermelon Steak with other summer dishes:
- Salads: Grilled Watermelon Steak makes a great addition to any summer salad. Pair it with a light and fresh vinaigrette dressing, some tomatoes, and cucumbers for a perfect Mediterranean-style salad.
- Vegetables: If you’re looking for an even healthier way to enjoy your Grilled Watermelon Steak, try pairing it with grilled vegetables. Sweet potatoes and bell peppers grilled to perfection are delicious options.
- Rice: Grilled Watermelon Steak pairs perfectly with traditional rice dishes such as jambalaya or paella. The sweet and smoky flavors will complement the rice perfectly.
All in all, Grilled Watermelon Steak is a great way to enjoy the flavors of summer. With so many options for pairing it with other summer dishes, you can easily create an impressive and delicious meal that your guests will love.
10. Enjoy Grilling with Watermelon Steak All Summer Long
Grilling is an enjoyable activity during the long days of summer. With these easy steps, you’ll be enjoying a delicious watermelon steak in no time.
- Slice the watermelon into cross-sections. The width of the slices should be about 1.5 inches in thickness.
- Salt and pepper the slices to taste.
- Drizzle each side with a little olive oil.
- Grill on each side for 1.5 minutes until grill marks are visible on each side and the watermelon is caramelized.
- Remove from the grill, allow to cool slightly and enjoy.
You can add even more flavor to your watermelon steak by topping it with crumbled goat cheese, diced onion, and a sprinkle of herbs. With the right combination of ingredients and seasonings, these grilled watermelon steaks are sure to be a hit with all your summer guests. They’re a tasty and light way to enjoy the summer sun.
Gather your tools, fire up the grill, and embrace your next summer get-together with grilled watermelon steak. Tantalizing and hydrated all year round, summer has never tasted so delicious!
Hi, my name is Luke Mitchell and I am a travel blogger based in Brisbane, Australia. I am the owner and creator of Arfra.org, the best blog about everything related to traveling in Australia. I have always had a passion for exploring new places and cultures and I decided to turn that passion into a career. I started Arfra.org to share my experiences and help others plan their own adventures in Australia.
I have traveled extensively throughout Australia and have a wealth of knowledge and tips to share. From the rugged outback to the beautiful beaches, I have been there and done that. I am also always on the lookout for the latest and greatest in the travel industry, so my readers can always expect to find the latest information on everything from hotels and resorts to tours and activities.
In my blog, I cover a wide range of topics including budget travel, luxury travel, family travel, and solo travel. I also share information on the best places to eat, drink, and shop, as well as the best outdoor activities and attractions.
When I am not traveling, you can find me in Brisbane where I call home. I love the city’s laid-back atmosphere and the great food and coffee scene. I also enjoy spending time with my friends and family, and taking my dog for long walks along the river.