If “tastes like chicken” isn’t your style and you’re looking for an exciting new way to mix up mealtime, a juicy twist is on the way! Watermelon steak is the newest plant-based alternative to be found in the kitchen, offering a unique twist to the traditional steak. Perfect for barbecues and summer nights, this is one recipe you won’t want to miss out on!
1. Unconventional Cuisine: Taking the Watermelon Out of the Fruit Bowl
When talking about culinary creations, watermelon is a fruit that rarely comes up in discussions. This can lead many to conclude that its role in a kitchen is limited to the sidelines, but nothing can be further from the truth. People can create creatively with this flavorful vegetable!
Watermelon is a versatile ingredient, it can provide a refreshening touch to a dish but can also make it even more special. Here are some unconventional but delicious ideas with watermelon:
- Chilled Soup: A light chilled soup made from watermelons, cucumbers, and ginger is perfect for hot summer nights.
- Watermelon Brownies: A sweet and tart mashup! Brownie-style treats using a watermelon-strawberry mash, layered with a cream cheese frosting.
- Watermelon Salad: To create a healthier alternative of this classic staple, use feta cheese and watermelon as the main ingredients, topped with fresh mint for a pinch of flavor.
Try some of these recipes and enjoy the surprising flavor of watermelon!
2. The Benefits of Eating Watermelon Steak
Watermelon Steak, A Delicious Alternative
The salty, juicy, and sweet flavor of watermelon steak makes it the perfect alternative to regular steak. Each bite of the luscious fresh fruit is somehow both savory and refreshing. Watermelon is packed with vitamins, minerals and nutrients, making it a healthy and tasty meal choice. Here are a few of the top benefits that make watermelon steak a great option:
- Low in Calories. Watermelon steak is low in calories and is considered a good source of essential nutrients for those counting calories.
- High in Vitamin A. Watermelon steak contains high amounts of Vitamin A, making it an excellent food for body and immunity health.
- Loaded with Antioxidants. The red color of watermelon steak is from the antioxidants that are loaded in it. Antioxidants are known for their anti-inflammatory properties and their ability to help protect against disease.
- Good Source of Vitamins and Minerals. Watermelon steak is rich in Vitamins A, C, E, and K, and is also a great source of potassium, magnesium, and iron.
High in Water and Fiber
Watermelon steak is extremely high in water, which helps to keep you hydrated. It is also a good source of dietary fiber and can help to regulate your digestion. Eating watermelon steak can help you feel full for a longer period of time and may even help to lower cholesterol levels. Additionally, the high water content of watermelon steak makes it an excellent snack choice – it helps to quench your thirst and plays the role of an appetite suppressant.
3. Watermelon Steak: A Visual Feast
Watermelon Steak has been a captivating treat for many years due to its decadent visual appearance and delightful flavor. This dish is easy to prepare, is filled with vibrant colors, and is a favorite among both adults and children.
To make this colorful treat, you’ll need a watermelon, some feta cheese, tomatoes, red onion, olive oil, as well as salt and pepper. First, cut the watermelon into steak-like slices. Next, sprinkle a generous portion of feta cheese onto the fruit. Layer on top the cut tomatoes and red onion. Drizzle the olive oil on top with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. After that, your watermelon steak is ready to be served and enjoyed!
- Eye-catching presentation
- Delicious blend of flavors
- Easy to make
- Imaginative and unique
4. A Juicy Twist: Changes to the Classic Steak Recipe
When it comes to preparing steak, it’s hard to reach a consensus on the “right” way to do it. But if you’re looking for a truly delicious twist on the steak recipe, try these changes to spice things up in the kitchen:
- Add two teaspoons of smoked paprika for a subtle earthy flavor.
- Up the marinade game with a tangy blend of lime, onions, garlic and soy sauce.
- Put a layer of bacon on the steak to seal in moisture and add a pleasant crunch.
- Create a flavorful finish with freshly grated Parmesan, chives and cracked pepper.
For that unmistakable touch of the smoky grill, try cooking the steak in a cast iron skillet first, and then finishing it off on the barbeque. The result will be a juicy, flavor-packed steak that’s sure to delight everyone in your household!
5. Tips for Prepping, Cooking & Serving Watermelon Steak
Watermelon steak is a delicious and refreshing summer dish, perfect for those hot days. To get the most of your watermelon steak, here are 5 tips for prepping, cooking and serving.
- Choose a ripe watermelon – it should be firm, heavy for its size and have glossy, even-colored skin.
- Cut the rind off and remove the seeds – this can be done in thick or thin slices.
- Slice it up into steaks. The thickness of each steak can be varied depending on how you plan to cook and serve it.
- Season and marinate the steak. A simple mix of extra virgin olive oil, chopped garlic, black pepper and thyme will add a flavourful boost.
- Cook the steak over an outdoor grill, or alternatively in a pan on the stovetop.
- Cook it for a few minutes on each side, depending on the cut.
- Serve onto some chilled plates for a light, summery touch.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of fresh herbs, and a splash of balsamic vinegar.
- Pair with some grilled proteins, roasted vegetables, or a bright, zesty salad.
6. An Easy & Delicious Substitute for Traditional Steaks
Are you a steak lover, but trying to find a healthier, more sustainable alternative for yourself, or for the environment? Look no further, substituting traditional steaks with a veggie-based dish might be exactly what you need.
When it comes to steak substitutes, there are many tasty recipes to choose from. Here are just a few ideas you could try:
- Portobello mushrooms: Lightly grilled or sautéed with garlic and herbs and served with a side dish of your choice, these mushrooms make a perfect steak substitute.
- Vegan BBQ seitan skewers: A tasty substitute to your traditional kebab; these gluten-based skewers are easy to whip up and will be a great vegan option for any dinner.
- Grilled vegetable steaks: Make your own veggie steak platter by grilling thick slices of asparagus, red onion, aubergine, and bell peppers with some olive oil, balsamic vinegar and your favorite spices for added flavor.
Whichever recipe you choose, your steak substitutes will be full of flavor and packed with nutrients, so you can enjoy guilt-free. You can also feel good knowing that you’re getting a more sustainable meal, too!
7. Different Types of Watermelon Steak To Try
Watermelon steaks are becoming increasingly popular as a vegan alternative to traditional grilled steak. Whether you’re looking to make a plant-based alternative for your summer cookout or want to switch up your dinner routine, here are 7 delicious watermelon steak recipes:
- Teriyaki-Glazed Watermelon Steak: Give your melon a bold umami flavor with this Asian-inspired recipe. Marinate the watermelon in teriyaki sauce and top with toasted sesame seeds for a flavorful meal.
- Basil Pesto Watermelon Steak: Get your greens with this hearty vegetarian steak. Grill the watermelon slices and top with vegan pesto for a quick and easy dinner.
- Grilled Spice-Rubbed Watermelon Steak: This smoky recipe is a great way to liven up your cookout. Rub your melon slices with garlic, cumin, and smoked paprika, then grill until lightly charred.
- Tandoori Watermelon Steak: Get the perfect flavor balance of sweet and savory with this Indian-inspired recipe. The grilled watermelon steak is finished off with an orange-yogurt sauce for extra creaminess.
- Cumin Lime Watermelon Steak: If you’re looking for a zesty spin on watermelon steak, this cumin-lime rub is the way to go. Grill the steak and serve with fresh lime wedges and chopped cilantro.
- Taco Watermelon Steak: Spice things up with this flavorful dinner. Grill the watermelon steaks and top with salsa, avocado, and vegan sour cream for a protein-packed meal.
- Fajita Watermelon Steak: Who said fajitas can’t be vegan? Grilled steak-style watermelon slices topped with peppers and onions make for an easy dinner that’s full of flavor.
These creative recipes take watermelon steak to a whole new level. Whether you’re looking for something spicy, savory, or umami-packed, there’s a steak for everyone. So fire up the grill, and get ready for a delicious dinner!
8. Fresh Takes on the Classic Dish: Watermelon Steak Recipes
Grilled Watermelon Steak with Fregola and Spinach Pesto
Tired of the same steak dinner? Make a culinary statement with grilled watermelon steak! Paired with a delicate Fregola and spinach pesto, this meal is light yet filling. The pesto is made with toasted pine nuts and basil for a refreshing balance to the watermelon’s sweetness. Here’s what you need:
- 2 large watermelon steaks
- 1 cup of Fregola
- ¼ cup of toasted pine nuts
- 2 bunches of basil
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
First, marinate the watermelon steaks with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Grill the steaks for 6 minutes, flipping halfway through. In a separate pot, cook the Fregola according to instructions and set aside. To make the pesto, blend toasted pine nuts and basil with a bit of olive oil. Serve the steaks with the Fregola and pesto and you’ve got yourself a unique, yet delicious meal!
9. Fun Ideas for Enjoying Watermelon Steak as an Appetizer or Side
Grilled to Perfection
Nothing says summer like a juicy, sweet watermelon steak. With a unique, savoury taste, this simple recipe is the perfect way to kick off your outdoor meal. To make the best of this dish, try the following steps:
- Cut the watermelon into thick steaks, about 3 inches thick.
- Season with a light marinade made with olive oil, salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- Grill over high heat for about 5 minutes per side.
- Finish with some fresh herbs, like rosemary or thyme.
You can serve your watermelon steak as an appetizer, main or side – whatever you choose, it’s sure to be a crowd-pleaser! To add extra colour and flavour, try serving with some freshly grated parmesan, a simple tomato salad, or roasted vegetables.
For a sweet twist on this classic summer dish, top with a spoonful of honey or balsamic glaze before serving. Both will add a delicious layer of flavour and make this dish stand out at your next BBQ. No matter how you choose to enjoy it, your watermelon steak will be full of flavour and sure to add some summery flair to your meal.
10. To Grill or Not to Grill? Choosing the Right Cooking Method for Watermelon Steak
When it comes to cooking your watermelon steak, you have two main options: grilling or pan-frying. While both methods can bring the delicious flavor of watermelon steak to your plate, they each come with their own set of pros and cons. Let’s consider what method of cooking watermelon steak is right for you:
- Grilling: Grilling your watermelon steak imparts a smoky flavor, perfect for barbecues and summer meals. It will also give the steak a characteristic crispness on the outside. However, you will have to pay close attention when grilling watermelon steak, lest you overcook it and turn it to mush.
- Pan-Frying: If you’re looking for a no-fuss way of cooking your watermelon steak, then pan-frying it is a great option. You’ll get a nice sear on the outside and a juicy, tender center. Plus, the cooking process is relatively quick from start to finish.
In the end, the choice is yours. Both options yield a tasty result, so you can’t go wrong either way. Whichever path you choose, watermelon steak will make a great addition to any meal. Why not give watermelon steak a shot to spice up your next meal and create a taste sensation your friends and family won’t soon forget? Combining sweet and savory flavors, this tasty twist on a classic favorite will make any dinner party a huge success. Try it tonight and give your barbecue a juicy twist!
Hi, my name is Luke Mitchell and I am a travel blogger based in Brisbane, Australia. I am the owner and creator of Arfra.org, the best blog about everything related to traveling in Australia. I have always had a passion for exploring new places and cultures and I decided to turn that passion into a career. I started Arfra.org to share my experiences and help others plan their own adventures in Australia.
I have traveled extensively throughout Australia and have a wealth of knowledge and tips to share. From the rugged outback to the beautiful beaches, I have been there and done that. I am also always on the lookout for the latest and greatest in the travel industry, so my readers can always expect to find the latest information on everything from hotels and resorts to tours and activities.
In my blog, I cover a wide range of topics including budget travel, luxury travel, family travel, and solo travel. I also share information on the best places to eat, drink, and shop, as well as the best outdoor activities and attractions.
When I am not traveling, you can find me in Brisbane where I call home. I love the city’s laid-back atmosphere and the great food and coffee scene. I also enjoy spending time with my friends and family, and taking my dog for long walks along the river.